Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008
Whats everyone opinion of potential playing herbi at fullback, with a good pre season for next year.
I'm not high on Herbie anywhere outside of wing. I don't think he has elite speed, and I haven't really seen him put anyone away on the reg to indicate he has good passing/vision. Yeah, in the small stint at FB he backed up the play a few times, but he didn't have the speed/strength to get through those half gaps.

upthebroncs

upthebroncs

NRL Player
Oct 16, 2016
Not sure he would. He would probably be no better than Gamble or Kelly these days.
You could use the same argument for why we shouldn't buy Ryan James. He offers no more than Patty Carrigan.

Cooper Cronk won the Roosters a grand final by just being out there on the field. I think Widdop would actually add a lot more than Gamble can. Experience, composure, confidence and leadership are a few big things Widdop would bring.

upthebroncs

upthebroncs

NRL Player
Oct 16, 2016
I'm not high on Herbie anywhere outside of wing. I don't think he has elite speed, and I haven't really seen him put anyone away on the reg to indicate he has good passing/vision. Yeah, in the small stint at FB he backed up the play a few times, but he didn't have the speed/strength to get through those half gaps.
IMO he would play like Gutho. We all know Gutho isn't the most naturally gifted fullback in the NRL, but that doesn't stop him.

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008
IMO he would play like Gutho. We all know Gutho isn't the most naturally gifted fullback in the NRL, but that doesn't stop him.
Maybe attitude wise I think he would be similar, but I think Gutho has better guile and agility. Poor man's version imo.

upthebroncs

upthebroncs

NRL Player
Oct 16, 2016
Maybe attitude wise I think he would be similar, but I think Gutho has better guile and agility. Poor man's version imo.
Hmm, I was actually thinking the opposite. I think Herbie is more naturally gifted. He was in the Manchester United development system.. He must have some skills.

Herbie has a silky running game that could really be great at fullback IMO. He has a big frame too, not much smaller than Turbo

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Hmm, I was actually thinking the opposite. I think Herbie is more naturally gifted. He was in the Manchester United development system.. He must have some skills.

Herbie has a silky running game that could really be great at fullback IMO. He has a big frame too, not much smaller than Turbo
Gutho played in the halves quite a bit as a youngster, he has a good play making kit bag.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
IMO Herbie has ok vision and a nice kick on him which would go well at fullback. not too sure about his passing game ... although i think he has the work ethic to develop that part of his game.

the extra room at the back could benefit him and us.

I think the plan has always been to move him to the back, but they may want a full pre-season to make that transition

although playing center, this TA against the Bulldogs shows what he could offer at the back (shows support play, vision and kicking)

upthebroncs

upthebroncs

NRL Player
Oct 16, 2016
IMO Herbie has ok vision and a nice kick on him which would go well at fullback. not too sure about his passing game ... although i think he has the work ethic to develop that part of his game.

the extra room at the back could benefit him and us.

I think the plan has always been to move him to the back, but they may want a full pre-season to make that transition

although playing center, this TA against the Bulldogs shows what he could offer at the back (shows support play, vision and kicking)

Yep, I like it. Have seen a few glimpses of his fullback potential. Pretty funny how he shows his experienced with Man United there in that clip. 😆

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008
Yep, I like it. Have seen a few glimpses of his fullback potential. Pretty funny how he shows his experienced with Man United there in that clip. 😆
I wouldn't put a great deal of stock into him being a Man U junior. Literally thousands of players are juniors every year and don't make it. Just simply indicates he has some degree of athleticism, but so do most of the players that make it to NRL level.

upthebroncs

upthebroncs

NRL Player
Oct 16, 2016
I wouldn't put a great deal of stock into him being a Man U junior. Literally thousands of players are juniors every year and don't make it. Just simply indicates he has some degree of athleticism, but so do most of the players that make it to NRL level.
I'm not putting any stock into it really. I just think it's funny.

There's no reason Niu / Isaako can be a fullback for us and Herbie can't. I think what we'd find is that Herbie is the best option out of those 3.

Dazza 92

Dazza 92

NRL Captain
Oct 13, 2014
Until i see Niu sign with someone else im taking this news with a pinch of salt.

Having player managers dropping stories like this to news media USED to work at the Broncos...

It wont work with the current set-up...

upthebroncs

upthebroncs

NRL Player
Oct 16, 2016
Until i see Niu sign with someone else im taking this news with a pinch of salt.

Having player managers dropping stories like this to news media USED to work at the Broncos...

It wont work with the current set-up...
I don't find it hard to believe that the Broncos are losing a junior.

If they don't believe in Niu as our long term fullback then I think they are content with letting him go.

heartly87

heartly87

NRL Player
May 10, 2014
I think I have almost seen enough of Niu to know he is not the answer. I have a lot of doubt about his willingness to work in D and get the 1% right. I have seen him on multiple occasions pull up early, stop chasing and just give up on defensive work, also in attack I honestly believe that break he made, the only reason he almost got tackled was because he thought the work was done and started to slow down.

I read a book about footy in my teens, it had a few paragraphs about what WB looked for in players. I distinctly recall WB saying that he looked for players that pulled up on the last bit of a run/sprint, who slowed down, who didn't power through. He wanted players who would do a 25- 30 meter sprint when he had just told them to do a 20. I have the opinion Niu is a bloke who does 15-18 when you tell him to do 20.

I doubt the Broncos don't have the money, they just don't have the money for Niu. They likely have more and it's for a player they want to play FB. I am sick of these guys thinking they can hold us over the barrel. The sooner they show their intentions like Dearden did the quicker the club can start looking elsewhere.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
You could use the same argument for why we shouldn't buy Ryan James. He offers no more than Patty Carrigan.

Cooper Cronk won the Roosters a grand final by just being out there on the field. I think Widdop would actually add a lot more than Gamble can. Experience, composure, confidence and leadership are a few big things Widdop would bring.
Yeah but they also had 12 players on the field that could do their job. We don't, therefore it's not what this team currently needs. What works for other teams doesn't necessarily work for this team. A lot of people seem to think this is just fantasy footy where you put 13 blokes out there and they do their job. It's nothing like that, you need them to fit with each other and do separate jobs. A 7 for the Roosters doesn't do the same job as a 6 for the Broncos.

upthebroncs

upthebroncs

NRL Player
Oct 16, 2016
Yeah but they also had 12 players on the field that could do their job. We don't, therefore it's not what this team currently needs. What works for other teams doesn't necessarily work for this team. A lot of people seem to think this is just fantasy footy where you put 13 blokes out there and they do their job. It's nothing like that, you need them to fit with each other and do separate jobs. A 7 for the Roosters doesn't do the same job as a 6 for the Broncos.
Yeah.. That logic doesn't make sense.

A halves combination of Reynolds and Widdop is much stronger than a halves combination of Reynolds and "OMG WHO TF is our 6 this year?!???"

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
Yeah.. That logic doesn't make sense.

A halves combination of Reynolds and Widdop is much stronger than a halves combination of Reynolds and "OMG WHO TF is our 6 this year?!???"
As is a halves pairing of Reynolds and Isaako but if you've been paying attention, Widdop isn't adding the same things to teams that he used to and is a shadow of his former self. The Widdop from the highlight videos you watched years ago is not the same Widdop no team wants to sign in the UK right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Manofoneway
  • Xzei
  • FACTHUNT
  • broncos4life
  • Redux
  • Big Del
  • Bish
  • mrslong
  • Wolfie
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.