Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
well I asked him who he would have in the squad for next year and that's who he came up with, he had free reign to list all his SL nominees but chose not to. I'm very disappointed in you @upthebroncs

the haters are everyone who jumps on him everytime he suggests someone. that would include me too at times, but at least he's putting different names out there, it gets a bit old seeing the let's sign BSmith/Grant/Manu posts over and over.

I suppose thats because they are the clear standouts and if we want to get better as a team we are going to want Joey Manu in the 1 shirt over Port, Gebbe or Purcell. I'm not suggesting either that their arent good players in ISC, i've named some in the past, but i think if we are looking for ISC potentials its blokes like Luke Polselli that @Big Pete named. Right age and there is development in him.

Maybe during a pandemic clubs may be more lenient in releasing a player to return to his home country. Maybe we could make a trade? Who knows.

He seems to like it over there, one of the main reasons he left the NRL was because he wanted the travel and experiences iirc. Not sure who we could trade tbh. I always liked him at Ipswich ( even though i thought the massive standout in that side was the excellent Josh Cleeland ), but he is going to be 30 or 31 i think if he comes back in 2023. There probably only Clark i'd look at in terms of super league hookers that would be ready made for NRL footy, and saying that, he would be a big financial risk for an unproven NRL player despite his pedigree.

I suppose thats because they are the clear standouts and if we want to get better as a team we are going to want Joey Manu in the 1 shirt over Port, Gebbe or Purcell. I'm not suggesting either that their arent good players in ISC, i've named some in the past, but i think if we are looking for ISC potentials its blokes like Luke Polselli that @Big Pete named. Right age and there is development in him.
Are you gonna post a highlights reel of Luke Polselli? Everyone’s waiting Wolfie.. You know I don’t get paid for this right?

He seems to like it over there, one of the main reasons he left the NRL was because he wanted the travel and experiences iirc. Not sure who we could trade tbh. I always liked him at Ipswich ( even though i thought the massive standout in that side was the excellent Josh Cleeland ), but he is going to be 30 or 31 i think if he comes back in 2023. There probably only Clark i'd look at in terms of super league hookers that would be ready made for NRL footy, and saying that, he would be a big financial risk for an unproven NRL player despite his pedigree.
Maybe he has a good character and would add a lot more to the squad than meets the surface. I’d definitely be happy if he came back to the club.

Are you gonna post a highlights reel of Luke Polselli? Everyone’s waiting Wolfie.. You know I don’t get paid for this right?
I dont generally do the youtube clips. Unless i'm tormenting the wife with videos of The Gonch.

and that's completely cool, i'm not trying to gatekeep on what people can and can't suggest, but at the very least @upthebroncs generates discussion. there's not much of a discussion on the already pre-eminent players that are going to cost a pretty penny and may be hard to obtain anyhow.

I dont generally do the youtube clips. Unless i'm tormenting the wife with videos of The Gonch.
Well my girlfriend was terribly disappointed when I couldn’t find any Turpin highlights

and that's completely cool, i'm not trying to gatekeep on what people can and can't suggest, but at the very least @upthebroncs generates discussion. there's not much of a discussion on the already pre-eminent players that are going to cost a pretty penny and may be hard to obtain anyhow.

Probably our biggest issue i guess with getting in some of these up and coming ISC players is we have a squad thats got a fair few works in progress as it is. I'd have still likes us to sign Jordan Grant. Strong in ISC for years now and ready for the NRL. Shame the Storm got him. Plenty of good players in ISC though. Not convinced we would develop them well tbh.

Probably our biggest issue i guess with getting in some of these up and coming ISC players is we have a squad thats got a fair few works in progress as it is. I'd have still likes us to sign Jordan Grant. Strong in ISC for years now and ready for the NRL. Shame the Storm got him. Plenty of good players in ISC though. Not convinced we would develop them well tbh.
I think the problem is that some of these works in progress have been works in progress for too long because we don’t exactly always pick the right players to work on. We have great juniors but we need to be picking the right diamonds in the rough that have real world experience as well as general playing experience.. That’s why I don’t mind someone like Cody Walker at age 26 or Jamal Fogarty etc. Those types of players are worth a spot in a squad in my opinion. It’s just sometimes not that easy to spot.. or may be seen as too risky... When in reality it’s not

I think the problem is that some of these works in progress have been works in progress for too long because we don’t exactly always pick the right players to work on. We have great juniors but we need to be picking the right diamonds in the rough that have real world experience as well as general playing experience.. That’s why I don’t mind someone like Cody Walker at age 26 or Jamal Fogarty etc. Those types of players are worth a spot in a squad in my opinion. It’s just sometimes not that easy to spot.. or may be seen as too risky... When in reality it’s not
I think that's a fair point to make, sometimes we back the wrong horse for too long. Good clubs realize certain players aren't going to cut it for what they want even if they do an adequate job, look at Flanagan for one.

Turns out Levi hasn't agreed to any ESL offers, and he's keen to stay on if we'll have him:

“I would love to stay. The Broncos are an unreal club and an awesome place to be."

“At the end of the day, they have to look at what’s best for the club, but we’ll see what happens. I have tried not to think about my future at all. I have to make sure I don’t think about it too much. I just have to play good footy and hopefully things will fall into place. I have a few things on the cards at the moment but I have to wait and see what happens.”

“At the back end of last year, I didn’t have a club to go to. I have always had too much love for the game so retiring was never an option. I was looking to go to Super League at the end of last year, but I left it too late. I said throughout the 2020 season I didn’t want to go to England, but then by the end of the season I thought I might have to go there."

“My next option was to look at Queensland Cup teams. Me and my missus decided to move to Brisbane to be closer to family, so I’m glad the Broncos gave me an opportunity. Any chance I get I just try and do my best. I am looking to impress, I’m looking to have a big four weeks until the end of the season, so I have to keep training hard."

McHunt

I think that's a fair point to make, sometimes we back the wrong horse for too long. Good clubs realize certain players aren't going to cut it for what they want even if they do an adequate job, look at Flanagan for one.
There’s a spiritual aspect that the Broncos are trying to manage within the culture of the organisation and the make up of the coaching staff and squad. Sometimes players become stale at a club and if they move clubs they will fulfil potential and become the superstars they should be. Sometimes we hold onto players too long when their spirit is not in the club. We want some team spirit.. Hence why I understand why Kev could think Napa could add something.. Napa’s resurrection could be the perfect symbolism of the Broncos as a club. Just something fun to think about.

Fogarty imo just got lucky. I dont think he is any better than Cullen, Nicholls or Scarlett for example who have all been very good halves in ISC. Walker is a bit different you could tell for years he had the makings of a top player. Probably didnt knuckle down enough until he got to the Storm really in 2014. Players like him who have a lot of success late on are few and far between.

I agree clubs are too invested in younger players in their own systems, but i can see why they do it. There have been plenty of standouts in ISC that havent cracked the NRL. Luke Capwell was brilliant but never stood up when he got a chance. Josh Cleeland who i mentioned earlier, fantastic player but just couldnt get a run. Hoeter, Neale, i could name loads. Sometimes, you do need a bit of luck like Fogarty. The Storm probably do it better than most because they have a lack of victorian development so they have to be more creative than other teams.

Sometimes though you get players like Jon Reuben who despite his impressive try scoring record just cant convince anyone he is good enough and i think once you get that reputation you will never get a shot. there is a very good reason these works in progress never get past being works in progress.

well I asked him who he would have in the squad for next year and that's who he came up with, he had free reign to list all his SL nominees but chose not to. I'm very disappointed in you @upthebroncs

the haters are everyone who jumps on him everytime he suggests someone. that would include me too at times, but at least he's putting different names out there, it gets a bit old seeing the let's sign BSmith/Grant/Manu posts over and over.
This is not a shot, but if you like the discussion that the, let’s call them left field suggestions, ignite; isn’t people disagreeing with these suggestions also part of the discussion?

And I could certainly be wrong, but I do get the feeling there is perhaps a little part of @upthebroncs that enjoys ruffling some feathers with his suggestions, which is part of why he does it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• GCBRONCO
  • johnny plath
  • The Strapper
  • Allo
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Browny
  • Xzei
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Fozz
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Volvo Driver
  • lynx000
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Johnny92
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.