Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw a quote from Tom Trbojevic and his brother about re-signing with Manly. Said both knew there was maybe big money on offer elsewhere, but told their managers they don't even want to look around - Manly is where they want to be and as long as the offer is reasonable then get the deal done, they were happy and wanted to stay loyal.
Was touching and refreshing to see considering every player we have wants to innocently 'test the waters of the open market' before they're even off contract. It's half the grubby managers and half these poorly guided players.
This 'its just a game' / 'its all business' type mentality is eating away at the fabric of our game and it's good to see a couple of talented young fellas use a bit of common sense and old fashioned loyalty to make an easy decision in everyone's best interests.
Good on them, wish we had more players like that here.
Our boy Herbie did just this. I can't remember if Lodge said he wanted to test his value or not but he was receiving big offers while he was here on a tiny contract and ultimately decided to knock them all back and stay with the club (and maybe the coach) who'd gone into bat for him. Patty Carrigan I don't get the vibe that he'll go looking for overs because I just can't see him breaking Wolfie's heart like that. That's just a few off the top of my head.
I'm not sure Jack Bird ever really wanted to be here
Bird chose to come here over bigger offers from the Sharps and Knights, maybe some other clubs too, so I'd take that as him wanting to be here.

Bird chose to come here over bigger offers from the Sharps and Knights, maybe some other clubs too, so I'd take that as him wanting to be here.

I think Bennett was the deciding factor although the Knights had just come off 3 wooden spoons in a row or something like that so that may have tipped the needle in our favour.

FYI, the Sharks were actually the lowest offer. we were the middle

Last edited:
During the Pies reign my love for the Broncos was dying a death of a thousand cuts. The signing of Kevvie put a band aid on that. If we manage to mishandle Coates re-signing and turn it into another amateur hour saga I’m afraid my genuine interest in the club will be hard pushed I’ve never felt so disillusioned with the club in thIrty years of supporting them. Either he takes our offer by the recommencement of preseason training or we tell him the offer is off the table and he’s back to ISC.

During the Pies reign my love for the Broncos was dying a death of a thousand cuts. The signing of Kevvie put a band aid on that. If we manage to mishandle Coates re-signing and turn it into another amateur hour saga I’m afraid my genuine interest in the club will be hard pushed I’ve never felt so disillusioned with the club in thIrty years of supporting them. Either he takes our offer by the recommencement of preseason training or we tell him the offer is off the table and he’s back to ISC.
Coates still has a contract for 21 and is under no pressure to sign anything right now.

You don’t think an unproven coach, no confirmed CEO, and a wooden spoon has damaged the perception of the club?

All the old boys talking shit about the club, Wayne throwing shots at the club, ex players talking down about the club, Fifitas mum bagging the club.

I do think Kev and a good CEO are one moderately good season away from fixing the perception, and I’m optimistic we will have a moderately good season, but there’s no question the club is in the middle of a PR crisis.

They can all piss off to the GC and not win a comp there. The club needs to get the cheque book out for proven winners like Bsmith/ Grant and stop getting into bid offs with insigificant clubs for unproven teenagers with massive egos.

EDIT: It's different for the storm and Coates, that's just a case of Coates not being able to take a step back and realise that Melbourne are about to go through a transitionary period without Smith and Bellamy. More power to the Storm if they can talk young talent into joining for unders when they're about to lose the best player of all time and arguably the best coach.

Last edited:
Why?

Whose to say he isn't demanding 500k+ now he played origin.

Young players like him always look at their options, they would be stupid not to.

And we would be stupid to pay massive overs for a raw rookie

Yep 500k for Coates would be a stupid amount of cash. Isn't JAC getting paid that at the dogs? And he's obviously a far more accomplished player.

They can all piss off to the GC and not win a comp there. The club needs to get the cheque book out for proven winners like Bsmith/ Grant and stop getting into bid offs with insigificant clubs for unproven teenagers with massive egos.

EDIT: It's different for the storm and Coates, that's just a case of Coates not being able to take a step back and realise that Melbourne are about to go through a transitionary period without Smith and Bellamy. More power to the Storm if they can talk young talent into joining for unders when they're about to lose the best player of all time and arguably the best coach.
I don’t disagree. It’s just a shame that we’ve allowed the club to get to a point where these teenagers have so much power.

Though I think Storm will transition alright depending on what role Bellamy movies into. Grant, Munster, and Paps is a pretty solid foundation, and their forward pack is very settled and experienced.

We have lost better players than Coates in the past and will lose better players in the future.

He is not close to an Inglis clone at the moment, just doesn't have the physicality at this stage of his career. He could very well develop into one of the better wingers in the game, he could also not go any further than a solid wing with good pace and finishing skills. I'm happy to let another club pay overs to find out which version they get.

I'm in the camp of offer him a decent contract (~300k) for 2 years with a strict tight deadline and if he umms and ahhs over it take it off the table and publicly state to the media that Xavier Coates has decided to not sign on with the Broncos and both parties will move in other directions. Time to put a line in the sand around contracts, especially young players, weed out the guys who don't want to make sacrifices to be here.

I still reckon he needs a year in ISC. Didnt do Inglis any harm at all.

I don’t disagree. It’s just a shame that we’ve allowed the club to get to a point where these teenagers have so much power.

Though I think Storm will transition alright depending on what role Bellamy movies into. Grant, Munster, and Paps is a pretty solid foundation, and their forward pack is very settled and experienced.

They’ll still beat the broncos for a few more years yet.

Our boy Herbie did just this. I can't remember if Lodge said he wanted to test his value or not but he was receiving big offers while he was here on a tiny contract and ultimately decided to knock them all back and stay with the club (and maybe the coach) who'd gone into bat for him. Patty Carrigan I don't get the vibe that he'll go looking for overs because I just can't see him breaking Wolfie's heart like that. That's just a few off the top of my head.

Patty wouldnt do it to me.

They’ll be good, but they won’t be the powerhouse they have been without Smith being effectively the halfback and hooker.

I still think we should be targeting Grant with a huge offer tbh. I think the storm are offering up Bsmith to give the comp the impression that Grant is ungettable.

Last edited:
The very public meeting for coffee might have been Bellamy getting one back for the very public meeting between Seibold and Croft.
He dont need to get one back...record speaks for itself....shouldnt coates have been at training anyway.....**** him off anyhow...we have the 2 worst wingers in defence in the comp

I still think we should be targeting Grant with a huge offer tbh. I think the storm are offering up Bsmith to give the comp the impression that Grant is ungettable.

he pretty much is.

he is under contract until the end of 2022, with an option for 2023.

so we can't officially offer him a contract until November next year and that contract wouldn't be until the 2023 season

They’ll be good, but they won’t be the powerhouse they have been without Smith being effectively the halfback and hooker.

With CS9 retired, JBrom getting old, BSmith off the books, JAC moving on and Hughes shopping himself around, I think there's a very reasonable chance the Storm could match/better most offers for Grant.

They've shown in the past that they're happy to throw big contracts at spine players and build the side around them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• BroncosMan
  • Organix
  • Broncorob
  • bb_gun
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Battler
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.