Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s cause they ran the attack through sivo he is a good player that got starved and the fact you lot think otherwise shows your lack of common sense
When the ball went to him in both attack and defence he looked a yard short, Matterson and Waqa being ball hogs inside him didn't help, and Gutho running as the extra man in attack was detrimental, but he bombed some easy ones, got jipped by the video on some. He might get better with a non rep off season, but I put him in the forked basket. And he was slow in defence, out of position several times and didn't have that oomph in the chase after being beaten.

Last edited:
Dude, I wish I could join in on your positivity but at this point you’re just saying things without having anything to back it. The club is a shit show and anything that could happen badly seems to just continue happening. Why should we expect anything positive?
2DB6927D E0D9 4AA3 9C1E 3B35B519D7BA

We forced out our senior playing group to take a gamble on our exciting juniors: Haas, Fifita, Carrigan, Dearden, Staggs, Coates.

We lost Fifita, we are looking very likely to lose Staggs and Coates, no word yet on the off contract Dearden, and Haas and Carrigan don’t have a choice yet.

TPJ shopped himself around, Niu’s dad has publicly suggested he will leave as soon as he can.

We forced out our senior playing group to take a gamble on our exciting juniors: Haas, Fifita, Carrigan, Dearden, Staggs, Coates.

We lost Fifita, we are looking very likely to lose Staggs and Coates, no word yet on the off contract Dearden, and Haas and Carrigan don’t have a choice yet.

TPJ shopped himself around, Niu’s dad has publicly suggested he will leave as soon as he can.

And still, no one on the leadership team has taken a fall. You can blame the players all you want and rightly so, very rightly so but the real question is: why does half the team want to leave? I’m still genuinely waiting for @Foordy to answer why being negative about this club is unrealistic given we’ve lost or are losing three of the very brightest young stars, another pushed to get out and we still have our gun up and coming halfback unsigned. This reminds of the Tigers trying to keep their promising kids together only to lose all of them except Brooks.

To be honest, whilst he may be a great star in the future, there are a lot of deficiencies in coates' game that won't be solved overnight or even in a season.
The storm using him on the wing will suit them fine. If they pick him up we will have a little more to spend on some of the other spots (wing isn't a priority to our squad sign ons).
In a season or two he might be ready to play centre, but the storm will probably still have him on the wing.
In the end we need to get used to losing some of our "eye candy" players so we can build a solid team.
New players will come through our development, and new stars will find themselves surplus (aka Brandon smith).
In the end our priority should be putting out a competitive team first and then refining it, not trying to rear a premiership from the cradle.
Bearing in mind we still have Haas locked in, and I consider him to be THE find of this generation.
Come 2022, we will ready to spend. Provided we look at players that don't necessarily stand in the spot light, but yet are quality, we will put ourselves in a position to chase and retain fiffita's, coates', and staggs type players.
Rather than the storm and their like though, I'd be targeting the clubs that have hit the heights and are on the way down (2022 roosters or perhaps even a Smith less, Bellamy less storm) that has an understudy type player tucked away in the squad.
This is where we need to improve, and understand our new position on the ladder of recruitment. We are now THE club a young rising (but unrecognised) star can come to try his chances for big time, unimpeded by "locked-in" celebrity footballers.
In short make this situation work for this club.
We might need to pay good dollars for regular first graders but we should also being able to pay unders for young talent chasing that chance.

Last edited:
To be honest, whilst he may be a great star in the future, there are a lot of deficiencies in coates' game that won't be solved overnight or even in a season.
The storm using him on the wing will suit them fine. If they pick him up we will have a little more to spend on some of the other spots (wing isn't a priority to our squad sign ons).
In a season or two he might be ready to play centre, but the storm will probably still have him on the wing.
In the end we need to get used to losing some of our "eye candy" players so we can build a solid team.
New players will come through our development, and new stars will find themselves surplus (aka Brandon smith).
In the end our priority should be putting out a competitive team first and then refining it, not trying to rear a premiership from the cradle.
Bearing in mind we still have Haas locked in, and I consider him to be THE find of this generation.
Come 2022, we will ready to spend. Provided we look at players that don't necessarily stand in the spot light, but yet are quality, we will put ourselves in a position to chase and retain fiffita's, coates', and staggs type players.
Rather than the storm and their like though, I'd be targeting the clubs that have hit the heights and are on the way down (2022 roosters or perhaps even a Smith less, Bellamy less storm) that has an understudy type player tucked away in the squad.
This is where we need to improve, and understand our new position on the ladder of recruitment. We are now THE club a young rising (but unrecognised) star can come to try his chances for big time, unimpeded by "locked-in" celebrity footballers.
In short make this situation work for this club.
We might need to pay good dollars for regular first graders but we should also being able to pay unders for young talent chasing that chance.

All good in theory but it isn’t in reality. We currently have those kids who we can give the chances to and they mostly seem to want to leave. We are coming of a wooden spoon under a terribly run management, a likeable but unproven coach and already having to pay overs to recruit or retain players because we are overexposed into the media.

Bennett was always a drawcard and was able to shield the players to an extent, even if his coaching had seemingly been left behind somewhat. We now no longer have a massive drawcard to play at the club other than facilities. What we do have is a wooden spoon, players telling the media they want to leave, players in the media meeting rival clubs, players crying on the field, disharmony and massive pressure on an overpaid, woefully underperforming side.

We are also paying a considerable chunk of our salary cap to players and a coach playing and coaching somewhere else. This club is the definition of a shambles and other than inflated salaries, there is nothing else to entice quality players to the club.

I know it is a negative view and I don’t want to have this view but it is the current reality of the situation and no amount of a poster telling us it isn’t all doom and gloom will change this until ACTUAL change happens.

We’ve been told there is a new CEO incoming and who he is but until he is announced and at the club, it is still just status quo. We have a current CEO who is on Cullen levels of incompetence who just won’t leave. We have a coach who is preaching unity while kicking out a player/s, we have young guys wanting out, we have senior players who are worse than unproven young guys. We have a captain who apparently is one of the biggest problems with cliques and we have an injured unwanted player returning on big money for a second year in a row.

What is there to be excited about? Another Milf is the fittest Eva story? Another the club is training the house down story? Another Alex Glenn wants to win a premiership before retiring feel good piece? Another this is a new page in the club story? Dale Copley? John Asiata?

It is understandable fans like me feel disillusioned and good on those of you who can see past the doom and gloom, you are seeing something the current facts do not allude to until something other than rumour and hearsay happens.

Also, we have the guy we targeted as coach again embarrassing us by trying to entice one of our best prospects away...again. The club is a deadset embarrassment.

Last edited:
All good in theory but it isn’t in reality. We currently have those kids who we can give the chances to and they mostly seem to want to leave. We are coming of a wooden spoon under a terribly run management, a likeable but unproven coach and already having to pay overs to recruit or retain players because we are overexposed into the media.

Bennett was always a drawcard and was able to shield the players to an extent, even if his coaching had seemingly been left behind somewhat. We now no longer have a massive drawcard to play at the club other than facilities. What we do have is a wooden spoon, players telling the media they want to leave, players in the media meeting rival clubs, players crying on the field, disharmony and massive pressure on an overpaid, woefully underperforming side.

We are also paying a considerable chunk of our salary cap to players and a coach playing and coaching somewhere else. This club is the definition of a shambles and other than inflated salaries, there is nothing else to entice quality players to the club.

I know it is a negative view and I don’t want to have this view but it is the current reality of the situation and no amount of a poster telling us it isn’t all doom and gloom will change this until ACTUAL change happens.

We’ve been told there is a new CEO incoming and who he is but until he is announced and at the club, it is still just status quo. We have a current CEO who is on Cullen levels of incompetence who just won’t leave. We have a coach who is preaching unity while kicking out a player/s, we have young guys wanting out, we have senior players who are worse than unproven young guys. We have a captain who apparently is one of the biggest problems with cliques and we have an injured unwanted player returning on big money for a second year in a row.

What is there to be excited about? Another Milf is the fittest Eva story? Another the club is training the house down story? Another Alex Glenn wants to win a premiership before retiring feel good piece? Another this is a new page in the club story? Dale Copley? John Asiata?

It is understandable fans like me feel disillusioned and good on those of you who can see past the doom and gloom, you are seeing something the current facts do not allude to until something other than rumour and hearsay happens.

Also, we have the guy we targeted as coach again embarrassing us by trying to entice one of our best prospects away...again. The club is a deadset embarrassment.
People were going to target coates the momemt Gould announced him as the next Greg inglis.
I remember Jamal Indris being described as the world's biggest human. Tamalolo was routed as the world's greatest lock.
In tamalolo's case it might be justified, but the thing with those players is they can't win a premiership on their own.
They need a solid foundation around them. Tamalolo stayed at the cowboys that had Thureson and bunch of good players.
Jamal went to the titans.
We have two promising young halves, outstanding props and a few young up and coming backs. We are a long way from a premiership. However if we can build a side that can make the eight consistently, we will keep those young stars.
We don't want to fall into the Titans trap of paying mega bucks for name players, only to see them fade into obscurity all be it with a fancy highlights reel.

True, but IF we are going to be in a rebuilding phase, lets throw everything out, recruit kids who's burning desire isn't to play in the NRL, but want to only play for the Broncos in the NRL. Shift those kids out into those with a great work ethic, not heavy drinkers, can have a laugh and make their mistakes at speed and don't let the mistakes fester in their mind. Those kids will be the building blocks not the kids who want to just be in the NRL for the pay day, Let the Storm dilute their product with those guys, let Parra hang onto busted 1st graders at the end of their career, let the Roosters cheat the system. We will be the club where passion and dedication rule. So let them all chase their payday, but lock the gate and burn the bridges behind anyone who leaves. You play for us once in your career, no more, no less!

It's good to have promising youth in your team but you need to balance it.
Young players make mistakes, but if they can learn from them if playing with older, wiser players, both on and off the field.
The thing is you can't just fill a team with seasoned stars and promising talent because the cap space runs out (unless you're the roosters), so you need to augment them with no frills but consistent journeymen type players who might not win a game but can do the job often enough, they become invaluable in a successful team.
Alex Glenn is one such player. In the past we had players like terry matterson, Chris johns, mark hohn, Barry berrigan and the like that filled holes, but weren't stars.
I'm hoping dale Copley does something similar.
We could do with a really good second row to partner Glenn, and another centre but I wouldnt be breaking the bank right now. If we got Kurt Capewell I'd be be pretty happy.

True, but IF we are going to be in a rebuilding phase, lets throw everything out, recruit kids who's burning desire isn't to play in the NRL, but want to only play for the Broncos in the NRL. Shift those kids out into those with a great work ethic, not heavy drinkers, can have a laugh and make their mistakes at speed and don't let the mistakes fester in their mind. Those kids will be the building blocks not the kids who want to just be in the NRL for the pay day, Let the Storm dilute their product with those guys, let Parra hang onto busted 1st graders at the end of their career, let the Roosters cheat the system. We will be the club where passion and dedication rule. So let them all chase their payday, but lock the gate and burn the bridges behind anyone who leaves. You play for us once in your career, no more, no less!
Like who?

Coates has a few mistakes in his game, yeah given that he's 19 and in his rookie season. Shocked me that he got picked for Origin given our diabolical season. Thought Haas was the only deserving one.

But if blokes like Meninga and Bennett can see close up his playing worth and throw him in the deep end, that speaks volumes of his potential class and possible longevity at the top level. Makes sense that Bellamy see the same and hopes to polish his game up to be a premier world class back for Melb.

Maybe he has had enough of the 'its only a game' mentality that's so etched into the fabric of this club that he wants to be part of an organisation that gives a damn about winning games.
Can't judge the kid from here but if I were in his shoes, the Storm would be the ideal place to be at if he'd would want to continue repping QLD and Australia whilst also competing for premierships.

You might be right about a lot of these things, but I'll tell you what - Foordy's unrelenting optimism is a lot less tiring than your unrelenting pessimism. And possibly a lot better for his mental health.

Your negativity is a perfectly valid choice, but personally I'm going to choose belief. The same thing I've chosen every time the Broncos have played ever since I can remember. Yep, even for the past couple of years. Some people might think I'm an idiot for that. That's fine. It's not going to stop me.

In other news, Jamil hopoates career is probably over.

You might be right about a lot of these things, but I'll tell you what - Foordy's unrelenting optimism is a lot less tiring than your unrelenting pessimism. And possibly a lot better for his mental health.

Your negativity is a perfectly valid choice, but personally I'm going to choose belief. The same thing I've chosen every time the Broncos have played ever since I can remember. Yep, even for the past couple of years. Some people might think I'm an idiot for that. That's fine. It's not going to stop me.
I agree with this.

Now this, this is a great post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Mustafur
  • Broncorob
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Broncosgirl
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.