Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes but that's a hypothetical. Well, at least the guarantee of being the permanent starter 7 is shoved into your argument to pad out a weak scenario. I do see your point but you're asking, no expecting him to go against the very thing society in general expects of us all, namely to be successful as quickly as possible.

No one should think they can dictate terms to another simply because they perceive a player chooses his own path. Just because his choice means he may not want to stay a member of your 'tribe' doesn't automatically mean his choice or the time he takes to make it is wrong in any manner.

I agree with you., the choice is his and he should be free to make it. There is no right or wrong from his perspective and if he has the talent then no matter what choice he makes it will work out for him.

My point is that from the perspective of the Broncos, if he is incapable of making that choice without first having to test his worth and explore all options, then that tells me all I need to know about what he's like as a player and his attitude towards the team. We will have to pay overs to compete with desperate clubs to keep him, next time his contract is up he will likely be straight off to the next highest bidder and if we go all in building our team around this kid and he Fifitas us.. we are in a tough position.

Time to play hardball with these rookies... give him a fair deal, promise him the keys to the kingdom and let him make his choice. If his choice is to explore elsewhere then wish him the best of luck and tell him that we're not going to get strung along while he shops himself around.

Would you rather a plain girlfriend who you know will be loyal and reliable and her focus is on your relationship or an absolute glamour who does a lap around the bar every night out to see if theres a better looking bloke to trade up to before she is willing to commit to staying with you for the next week?

I agree with you., the choice is his and he should be free to make it. There is no right or wrong from his perspective and if he has the talent then no matter what choice he makes it will work out for him.

My point is that from the perspective of the Broncos, if he is incapable of making that choice without first having to test his worth and explore all options, then that tells me all I need to know about what he's like as a player and his attitude towards the team. We will have to pay overs to compete with desperate clubs to keep him, next time his contract is up he will likely be straight off to the next highest bidder and if we go all in building our team around this kid and he Fifitas us.. we are in a tough position.

Time to play hardball with these rookies... give him a fair deal, promise him the keys to the kingdom and let him make his choice. If his choice is to explore elsewhere then wish him the best of luck and tell him that we're not going to get strung along while he shops himself around.

Would you rather a plain girlfriend who you know will be loyal and reliable and her focus is on your relationship or an absolute glamour who does a lap around the bar every night out to see if theres a better looking bloke to trade up to before she is willing to commit to staying with you for the next week?
Mmmmm, it tells you ALL you need to know?
That's not really a rational claim because (I'm assuming here) I don't believe you know him personally, what other considerations there are or who else may be affected by his choices. All it does in my opinion is give you a small part of the picture and certainly not enough to claim ' I know enough '. It's a bit like the person who says, don't buy me a book for xmas, I've already got one.

Last edited:

If I'm capable of pulling the latter, I'm going to back myself to pick up a replacement that's just as good or better.

Everyone is quick to jump on players for a perceived lack of loyalty, but let's not pretend it doesn't go both ways, and if the team makes the decision to move on to a better prospect they aren't going to care if you took unders to stay last time around, they'll still ship you out regardless. It's a business, after all.

I hope Dearden stays, but I don't begrudge him shopping himself around, and I'd much rather we keep the door open to his staying than slam it in his face on some arbitrary date.

Mmmmm, it tells you ALL you need to know?
That's not really a rational claim because (I'm assuming here) I don't believe you know him personally, what other considerations there are or who else may be affected by his choices. All it does in my opinion is give you a small part of the picture and certainly not enough to claim ' I know enough '. It's a bit like the person who says, don't buy me a book for xmas, I've already got one.

Not sure I understand your point or why you are trying to be argumentative / nitpicking... It was a pretty simple straight-forward sentiment about expecting that a young player should be able to re-sign with his current team and focus on developing his game rather than trying to drum up the most money possible from all clubs before committing.

I don't know young Thomas, and his decision in any way wouldn't lead me to any conclusion about him as a person, only how he handles business as a footy player.

Not sure I understand your point or why you are trying to be argumentative / nitpicking... It was a pretty simple straight-forward sentiment about expecting that a young player should be able to re-sign with his current team and focus on developing his game rather than trying to drum up the most money possible from all clubs before committing.
That's just our boy Huge. If there's a way to misinterpret a post in such a manner as to allow him to demonstrate his intellectual superiority, he'll find it. Just steer clear of him at bhq bbqs and you'll be fine.

Friendly reminder of which thread you guys are in. We all do it, just a heads up.

Friendly reminder of which thread you guys are in. We all do it, just a heads up.

this is the thread where you don't need an official source to discuss the roster ... we've locked the other one and any sourced rumours will be posted there by staff 👍

Still not official, but we're now uploading pictures of Isaac Luke in a Broncos jersey on social media platforms, so one can assume he's in the top 30.

Still not official, but we're now uploading pictures of Isaac Luke in a Broncos jersey on social media platforms, so one can assume he's in the top 30.
Damn, I would have thought with Turps, Macca and Paix on the books Luke would be surplus to needs.

not if Macca is moving???

all the evidence is that he isn't going anywhere for 2021 ... in fact the Dragons have now reportedly made enquiries about Nathan Peats

all the evidence is that he isn't going anywhere for 2021 ... in fact the Dragons have now reportedly made enquiries about Nathan Peats
Does not make sense to have 4 hookers in top 30 - so I would imagine "watch this space"

Does not make sense to have 4 hookers in top 30 - so I would imagine "watch this space"

maybe Walters considers Paix a half. so that would make 3 hookers, 4 halves

halves: Milford, Dearden, Croft, Paix
hookers: Turpin, Macca, Luke

What's this about?

assuming there is no bubble; after round 11 NRL teams can call up players from the ISC that are not in their top 30 squads. those players just need to have a training contract with the NRL club

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• Morkel
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Porthoz
  • I bleed Maroon
  • NSW stables
  • MrRobot
  • Broncosgirl
  • Skyblues87
  • Redux
  • winslow_wong
  • Broncos Maestro
  • Johnny92
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.