Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO, Lodge's contract at the time of signing was perfectly fine ... even decent value. then the NRL changed the rules and Lodge's contract became an unknown (given we really don't know yet how he will go under these new rules)

In TPJ's case, as soon as we gave him the 600k contract, we should have sent him to be mentored by Civoniceva immediately, try to get him to cut out the stupid shit (both on and off the field) ... he has the potential to be a weapon for us, hopefully now he is being mentored by Civoniceva, the second half of his contract see's him live up to that potential (or at least get close to it)

As much as i like Flegler, if the reported 600k contract is true, then it is definitely overs, likely offered after management was spooked by yet another media campaign talking about him having big offers elsewhere. It's looking like that may be stopping, which is a good sign.

p.s. on that last line, i assume you are talking about the Titans being investigated (which won't happen in our lifetimes) ... also, even if we can match what other clubs are offering doesn't mean we should match their offers. (sorry if i'm mistaking what your saying, given my sleep deprived state right now that last line confused me a bit, lol)

Yeah I am talking about Gold Coast's cap being investigated.

As for us, I am saying we do NOT re-sign on overs, this has bitten us in the past.

Edit: I am also saying that clubs like the Dogs and Titans that can afford to offer over a million combined dollars to Piakura / Walsh / Staggs should be investigated. How do either team have that much available to sign unproven kids / players on MORE money than other better players in the same position, i.e Hoy, Manu, etc? Only the Roosters and the Storm have unlimited dollars to sign whoever they want and one of them does it with two books, the other with terrible golf rounds and having an ex-employee as the salary cap auditor. Needless to say, what are the Dogs and Titans doing?

Last edited:
Yeah I am talking about Gold Coast's cap being investigated.

As for us, I am saying we do NOT re-sign on overs, this has bitten us in the past.

Edit: I am also saying that clubs like the Dogs and Titans that can afford to offer over a million combined dollars to Piakura / Walsh / Staggs should be investigated. How do either team have that much available to sign unproven kids / players on MORE money than other better players in the same position, i.e Hoy, Manu, etc? Only the Roosters and the Storm have unlimited dollars to sign whoever they want and one of them does it with two books, the other with terrible golf rounds and having an ex-employee as the salary cap auditor. Needless to say, what are the Dogs and Titans doing?
That’s getting back to having contracts made public, it would stop all the shit in its tracks as literally anyone could just do the sums and call out the bullshit offers.

we should counter with “offering” brimson 1 million, that’ll put the pressure back on them.

Realistically he's 25 so it's probably now or never for him to try and go to that next level. He's a good player on his day, but far from a world beater and it's possible he's just hit his ceiling in terms of what he's capable of.

I think he has been restricted by leg injuries .
Not bad enough to make him miss games but enough to restrict his running .Also being over weight doesn`t help ...
When he can run he is a much better player and takes pressure of his receivers . Ash just catching and passing and kicking on 5th is not as effective .

Anyone else kind of think Taylor looks like a frog / toad? He should be the Qld mascot.

looks like the NRL has thrown out the "must be 18" rule to allow Joseph Suaalii to play for the roosters, are any of our under 18 prospects ready for the big time?

Last edited:
looks like the NRL has thrown out the "must be 18" rule to allow Joseph Suaalii to play for the roosters, are any of our under 18 prospects ready for the big time?

rule is still in place ... if we had a 17 year old ready for the NRL, we would need to get an exception from them to play him

Anyone else kind of think Taylor looks like a frog / toad? He should be the Qld mascot.

He looks like a 12 year old and will until he suddenly looks 50.

Read is one of the senior sports writers at the Australian. His stuff turns up occasionally in other Newcorp mastheads.

Murdoch's NRL coverage is the best by far. You'd be whinging like a **** if all you got was Fairfax and the Guardian. Though that might change when more transsexuals get involved.
I disagree, I think Andrew Webster’s writing for the SMH is a joy to read and is always quality (wrote a few really quality profiles on Bennett in the last few years). Where newscorp do have them beat is on quantity, and of course on Bronco-centric news given there’s no real Fairfax equivalent to the courier mail up here.

Staggs is obviously brilliant in attack, defense still needs work + we still do not know how he will come back after his injury.
500k p/yr for 3yrs, take it or leave it.
I'd like to see him in the 6 next to Dearden if Tesi shows us that he needs to stay in the centres. Walsh to FB.
Milford out unless he has a 2015 year or I'm ok if he stays for 200k p/yr. Nothing else
I think your being a bit unrealistic... Staggs is not gonna accept 500 cause it shows just how little we value you him he is probably 550-650 range and half’s aren’t worth that little... he will be on 400 minimum if we offered him 200 he would tell us where to shove it and he’d have a heap of clubs signing him in the hope they can get the best out of him

I think your being a bit unrealistic... Staggs is not gonna accept 500 cause it shows just how little we value you him he is probably 550-650 range and half’s aren’t worth that little... he will be on 400 minimum if we offered him 200 he would tell us where to shove it and he’d have a heap of clubs signing him in the hope they can get the best out of him
What high priced centre has ever been worth the money?

If the genuinely see him shifting to 5/8 or fullback than he’s worth the money but 500+
for a centre, he can walk.

If he wants to play 5/8 or fullback he simply cant demand big money for that position as he has achieved nothing there.
Inglis and Mitchell at South’s have set the precedent there. Both obviously had fullback experience but to a far lesser extent so has Staggs had half experience. It would be a punt that’s for sure.

Last edited:
According to the top paid players article, Manu is on 700K plus (not sure exactly what). Staggs is no Manu until he learns how to defend, but he's more hyped up by the media so its going to get interesting.

He reminds me of someone, I just can’t quite think of who it is.. sometimes it’s a bit of (older) Gary Coleman and sometimes it’s the kid from Mad Magazine 🤷‍♂️
E00AA920 64DB 44C6 B885 8C04D8F678BA

Last edited:
Inglis and Mitchell at South’s have set the precedent there. Both obviously had fullback experience but to a far lesser extent so has Staggs had half experience. It would be a punt that’s for sure.

Both Latrell and GI are a lot different to Staggs imo. I've seen Kotoni in the back row and the centers. It suits his skill set. I don't see him having the skill set to play fullback or 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Morkel
  • Xzei
  • Fitzy
  • Skathen
  • ChewThePhatt
  • GCBRONCO
  • mitch222
  • Fozz
  • marw
  • FACTHUNT
  • Foordy
  • Sproj
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Dash
  • bazza
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.