Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hype could well be real. Have to wait and see.

Given he is effectively on 300k for the next four years given he has probably been front-ended to an extent, I think this is a really good deal for both the player and the club.

It’s not a lucrative contract for **** sakes... his name pops up at the top of every list of the best young players in the country and we got him on 400 for ***** sakes... 400K is not a lot of money... have you noticed how this bloke isn’t called the next Lockyer in the news paper (I know he’s not a half or fullback but you get the point), because he sells himself everyone knows that he is good... You guys really want to complain about everything till we sign the best young prospect on a 200k contract. That shit doesn’t happen!! Get that through your heads. I completely agree that 600k and 800k contracts for forwards whose names aren’t Payne haas is ridiculous but this kid is on 400 and that’s bloody fucking good we snagged him for that. I understand that Kennedy has been good this year but I think you’d find he’s on 300-400 and he’s done bugger all for years. Yet when an 18 year old kid who goes through with the best young players in the country and his name is no.1 on that list and we have him for 3 years on that. Like yet again I personally love Asiata but he’s on 500k. You just got to look at what players are receiving and realise that is is a pretty low risk investment, considering the hype. He’s on 400k as well. Yes for you and me that’s a lot of fucken money but in terms of the salary cap it’s not. You can fit 24.5 players in a squad if they all receive that amount of money so really he is not getting paid that much in excess of minimum wage for a top 30 footballer

Your obviously entitled to your opinion, but we arent going to rebuild this club on what ifs's and maybes. In terms of Broncos players we have had plenty of next big things who failed. We have had plenty of young blokes highly thought of who didnt live up to expectations. Look at Joffa coming from U20's for example, he had massive wraps on him. Dave Taylor, Corey Norman, Joel Moon, Seymour, Meyers, the list can go on and on. Go back and think of blokes from other clubs like Filiga. Being a hyped up youngster means nothing.

I'm not complaining we have resigned him either, i'm saying he hasnt earned that contract. In terms of our cap, that $400k is massive for a player who probably wont be ready for 2 or 3 years. You dont get many David Fifitas and Piakura isnt one of them. He will do what a lot of younger guys do. He will come in, he will be a fresh face and do well, people will get pumped about him then his form will slowly slip back because he isnt ready to be an NRL regular. We are seeing it now with Riki for example. That money would be more beneficial going towards a Toby Rodolf or a Kurt Capewell at this moment in time. Thats no slight on Piakura either, hes a promising player, but we have gone with promising players for over 2 years now and slowly deteriorated as a club.

I'll also bet Asiata isnt on $500k

Given he is effectively on 300k for the next four years given he has probably been front-ended to an extent, I think this is a really good deal for both the player and the club.

What happens if we concentrate so much internally we cant afford Capewell for example. Like i keep saying, these younger guys arent ready for the amount of footy we need them to play. People will whine about losing players like Walsh, and yep, it sucks to lose them, but what we need in the short term to rebuild isnt unproven kids, we need players like Capewell.

What happens if we concentrate so much internally we cant afford Capewell for example. Like i keep saying, these younger guys arent ready for the amount of footy we need them to play. People will whine about losing players like Walsh, and yep, it sucks to lose them, but what we need in the short term to rebuild isnt unproven kids, we need players like Capewell.

I have said ad nauseum I agree with this but again, 300k a year is not breaking the bank and losing Milf's horrible contract plus getting money back from all of our ridiculous subsidies next year should still provide plenty of money to chase Capewell et al.

I have said ad nauseum I agree with this but again, 300k a year is not breaking the bank and losing Milf's horrible contract plus getting money back from all of our ridiculous subsidies next year should still provide plenty of money to chase Capewell et al.

I'm not convinced we will tbh. Upgrade for Kotoni and Dearden plus what we have given Piakura and Riki, on top of probably at least 1 new centre and a halfback will chew up a fair bit of coin. Going to be an interesting time ahead.

Your obviously entitled to your opinion, but we arent going to rebuild this club on what ifs's and maybes. In terms of Broncos players we have had plenty of next big things who failed. We have had plenty of young blokes highly thought of who didnt live up to expectations. Look at Joffa coming from U20's for example, he had massive wraps on him. Dave Taylor, Corey Norman, Joel Moon, Seymour, Meyers, the list can go on and on. Go back and think of blokes from other clubs like Filiga. Being a hyped up youngster means nothing.

I'm not complaining we have resigned him either, i'm saying he hasnt earned that contract. In terms of our cap, that $400k is massive for a player who probably wont be ready for 2 or 3 years. You dont get many David Fifitas and Piakura isnt one of them. He will do what a lot of younger guys do. He will come in, he will be a fresh face and do well, people will get pumped about him then his form will slowly slip back because he isnt ready to be an NRL regular. We are seeing it now with Riki for example. That money would be more beneficial going towards a Toby Rodolf or a Kurt Capewell at this moment in time. Thats no slight on Piakura either, hes a promising player, but we have gone with promising players for over 2 years now and slowly deteriorated as a club.

I'll also bet Asiata isnt on $500k
Yeah I understand that but you can’t just say **** off to every single junior coming through especially the once in a blue moon players like piakura... Piakura is on 400k by no means does that root our cap the problem lies from giving the likes of lodge and flegler and other players way to much money... firstly rudolf isn’t coming here neither do we need him whilst we have 4 trillion middle forwards... if we get rid of a couple than maybe... secondly 400k doesn’t rule out our ability of signing Capewell especially since it’s dead obvious that the broncos are only gonna sign Reynolds if Staggs decides to go elsewhere cause they aren’t risking their chances with losing Dearden. I understand that we all wish you could sign a young player on bugger all but it doesn’t work like that... Especially whilst Penrith have such a young team and are running circles around everyone... teams are looking for the future because we are coming towards an end of an era where high class players are rare to find due to heaps of retirements

Yeah I understand that but you can’t just say **** off to every single junior coming through especially the once in a blue moon players like piakura... Piakura is on 400k by no means does that root our cap the problem lies from giving the likes of lodge and flegler and other players way to much money... firstly rudolf isn’t coming here neither do we need him whilst we have 4 trillion middle forwards... if we get rid of a couple than maybe... secondly 400k doesn’t rule out our ability of signing Capewell especially since it’s dead obvious that the broncos are only gonna sign Reynolds if Staggs decides to go elsewhere cause they aren’t risking their chances with losing Dearden. I understand that we all wish you could sign a young player on bugger all but it doesn’t work like that... Especially whilst Penrith have such a young team and are running circles around everyone... teams are looking for the future because we are coming towards an end of an era where high class players are rare to find due to heaps of retirements

Toby actually isnt just a middle. Played plenty of edge back row and its probably his best position. Dont be so sure he wouldnt leave the shire now either.

You cant ignore every talented kid, but at the same time, its our first 17 that needs improving.

I'm not convinced we will tbh. Upgrade for Kotoni and Dearden plus what we have given Piakura and Riki, on top of probably at least 1 new centre and a halfback will chew up a fair bit of coin. Going to be an interesting time ahead.

Sure but hey, the Roosters can have an international side and still manage to poach the best juniors, so why can't we at least afford the kids and some decent first graders?

We don't need a lot anyway, just a decent centre, a decent prop, a decent second-rower and an entirely new spine hehe.

Opacic, Capewell and Lui should cost about 800k in total. Hopefully lose one of Lodge/Flegler, that still leave a fair bit of money for two spine players and we only really need a 7 desperately (there are no good enough 9s for what we need available). Take a punt on a cheap fullback in Hammer or Hynes.

Sure but hey, the Roosters can have an international side and still avoid to poach the best juniors, so why can't we at least afford the kids and some decent first graders?

We don't need a lot anyway, just a decent centre, a decent prop, a decent second-rower and an entirely new spine hehe.

Opacic, Capewell and Lui should cost about 800k in total. Hopefully lose one of Lodge/Flegler, that still leave a fair bit of money for two spine players and we only really need a 7 desperately (there are no good enough 9s for what we need available). Take a punt on a cheap fullback in Hammer or Hynes.

Rorters are better in the dark arts of cap management.

I don't think Turpin is that bad, he gets good service to the forwards and provides a bit of creativity himself at times.. he's also a rock in defense, that's all you want your dummy half to be able to do really and he does that

I don't think anyone we have in the lower grades would do a better job
Really? Turpin is often awesome in defence, but too often his service is poor and provides very little creativity. Tonight he ran 3 times for 19m. That is not what we need!

Really? Turpin is often awesome in defence, but too often his service is poor and provides very little creativity. Tonight he ran 3 times for 19m. That is not what we need!

They've criticised Cook of the same thing but when you got the roll on we had tonight, you'd be silly not to keep giving it to blokes like Haas

They've criticised Cook of the same thing but when you got the roll on we had tonight, you'd be silly not to keep giving it to blokes like Haas
Does Turpin have the ability to pass the ball more than 10 metres either left or right?

Hate to break it to you guys but I have Kevvie's business card at it reads: BRISBANE BRONCOS HEAD COACH
I thought it read BRISBANE BRONCOS HEAD COACH, BITCH... 😂

People jumped all over me for daring to suggest the same thing... Again with Brandon Smith... Because he isn‘t Cameron Smith? Well who is? Doesn’t mean he isn’t a good hooker...

Him and Brandon Smith would make a huge difference to our team.

People jumped all over me for daring to suggest the same thing... Again with Brandon Smith... Because he isn‘t Cameron Smith? Well who is? Doesn’t mean he isn’t a good hooker...

Him and Brandon Smith would make a huge difference to our team.
For me it depends entirely on what he wants. I think he's an awesome player but if he's chasing north of 700k, he can get fucked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Galah
  • Santa
  • The True King
  • Johnny92
  • Jazza
  • Broncosgirl
  • KateBroncos1812
  • ostin86
  • Bucking Beads
  • Foordy
  • BroncosMan
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Kev_Guz
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.