Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whether we like it or not, we have to pay for potential. If it doesnt come off that sucks, but it's a risk we have to take. We paid big bucks for haas when he had made 1 nrl app, but that looks like a bargain now.

Sometimes you gotta put it on red and hope it hits.
Yes. The sad reality. I just think we are paying for potential across our whole roster instead of in a few select positions. Piakura is not the worst of it.

He looks a great talent but it’s hard to get excited about this signing while we still have no spine and a leadership black hole.

It seems like we are doubling down on the youth approach and hoping eventually it comes good.

That being said, if this news is accompanied with the signings of Reynolds, Capewell, and a fullback than I’ll feel far more excited about it.

Staggs, Coates, Piakura, Dearden, Riki...none of these guys will get us out of the rut without some experienced reliable leaders. But I’m a broken record at this point.

It's a upgraded deal so more money this year and ends up being $1.2 over 4 years basically. Keep up dazza
sorry about that, im actually reading all this while in a Zoom meeting on my laptop.... #priorities

They haven’t overpaid by much of any... he has much more praise on him than Reece Walsh... and we got him for 400k for 3 years... in 3 years god knows how good he is... 400k for one of the best young players in the country is nothing these days and if he turns out shit and we don’t want his 400k we offer him up... plenty of clubs will pay a good chunk of that for a young second rower that they might get the best out of

What he achieved? If he fails at Brisbane do you really think a kid of his age is just going to be moved along easily, or end up giving up a very lucrative contract? Its not as easy as offer him up, nobody is going to want a failure. This is just another example of a kid with a lot of hype at the moment from the media. Havent seen a lot of him myself so i cant say if i think he is potentially elite class or not, but my issue is always going to be you make them earn their contracts, you dont give them away so easily. We have a team full of the next big things, and we are near the bottom of the ladder and have only won a few games in the space of 12 months and are the current wooden spoon champions.

Tbh, if other clubs want to pay big money, i'm happy for them to do it. We cant build a side on potential. I think we need to put our salary cap into proven performers right now because like i said earlier, no promising kids are going to want to come and play for a bottom 4 side. Its going to be a slow process, but we need to sort out the NRL side.

We've lost all bargaining power so we do need to pay overs , we just need to be smart who we pour the money into.

I reckon thats spot on. If we do pay overs, its got be for a player who is capable of getting us back on track now. We need a 7 and 9, then probably a fullback and an experienced forward before we need another promising forward.

I reckon thats spot on. If we do pay overs, its got be for a player who is capable of getting us back on track now. We need a 7 and 9, the probably a fullback and an experienced forward before we need another promising forward.
A quality hooker and halfback would make a huge difference. Like Cronk to the Roosters difference.

400k for yet another big man with 0 NRL experience.
Why’d they go this route rather then giving it to Walsh I wonder..
I wonder if they rate cobbo higher long term?

I don't think Turpin is that bad, he gets good service to the forwards and provides a bit of creativity himself at times.. he's also a rock in defense, that's all you want your dummy half to be able to do really and he does that

I don't think anyone we have in the lower grades would do a better job
This is what makes me laugh about the shit McCullough copped. Somehow Turpin is doing a good job despite throwing far more wayward passes than Macca ever did, to the point where our own players turn and yell at him. I wonder how long he’s got using the fact he’s not McCullough before the fans turn on him

With the news of Karmichael Hunt coming in, watch this space. My tip is on Dearden to sign with the cowboys and be released early, or for someone to sign Milford and he be released early.

This is what makes me laugh about the shit McCullough copped. Somehow Turpin is doing a good job despite throwing far more wayward passes than Macca ever did, to the point where our own players turn and yell at him. I wonder how long he’s got using the fact he’s not McCullough before the fans turn on him

Macca didn't throw wayward passes ... his problem is that he threw his passes on Friday, they just didn't arrive at his runners until Saturday

Turpins problem is he is another player we are trying to turn into something he isnt

With the news of Karmichael Hunt coming in, watch this space. My tip is on Dearden to sign with the cowboys and be released early, or for someone to sign Milford and he be released early.

Strange how I am completely indifferent to the idea of either occurrence

I don't think Turpin is that bad, he gets good service to the forwards and provides a bit of creativity himself at times.. he's also a rock in defense, that's all you want your dummy half to be able to do really and he does that

I don't think anyone we have in the lower grades would do a better job

Same as the fullback role now, there is no one until Cobbo comes off age.

Our fans seem to fall in love with the opposing hooker/fullback/halves who all do their roles to a T in great team systems far superior to ours.

What he achieved? If he fails at Brisbane do you really think a kid of his age is just going to be moved along easily, or end up giving up a very lucrative contract? Its not as easy as offer him up, nobody is going to want a failure. This is just another example of a kid with a lot of hype at the moment from the media. Havent seen a lot of him myself so i cant say if i think he is potentially elite class or not, but my issue is always going to be you make them earn their contracts, you dont give them away so easily. We have a team full of the next big things, and we are near the bottom of the ladder and have only won a few games in the space of 12 months and are the current wooden spoon champions.

Tbh, if other clubs want to pay big money, i'm happy for them to do it. We cant build a side on potential. I think we need to put our salary cap into proven performers right now because like i said earlier, no promising kids are going to want to come and play for a bottom 4 side. Its going to be a slow process, but we need to sort out the NRL side.
It’s not a lucrative contract for **** sakes... his name pops up at the top of every list of the best young players in the country and we got him on 400 for ***** sakes... 400K is not a lot of money... have you noticed how this bloke isn’t called the next Lockyer in the news paper (I know he’s not a half or fullback but you get the point), because he sells himself everyone knows that he is good... You guys really want to complain about everything till we sign the best young prospect on a 200k contract. That shit doesn’t happen!! Get that through your heads. I completely agree that 600k and 800k contracts for forwards whose names aren’t Payne haas is ridiculous but this kid is on 400 and that’s bloody fucking good we snagged him for that. I understand that Kennedy has been good this year but I think you’d find he’s on 300-400 and he’s done bugger all for years. Yet when an 18 year old kid who goes through with the best young players in the country and his name is no.1 on that list and we have him for 3 years on that. Like yet again I personally love Asiata but he’s on 500k. You just got to look at what players are receiving and realise that is is a pretty low risk investment, considering the hype. He’s on 400k as well. Yes for you and me that’s a lot of fucken money but in terms of the salary cap it’s not. You can fit 24.5 players in a squad if they all receive that amount of money so really he is not getting paid that much in excess of minimum wage for a top 30 footballer

Don't believe what Corey Parker thinks , considering the guy is very critical. He's seems to believe the hype.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Allo
  • pennywisealfie
  • Spoon
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.