Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Indeed, When my son was 19 he couldn’t believe how dumb his father was but when he turned 22 or 23 he couldn’t understand how much I’d learned in such a short time.
My dad told my older brother, at about age 16, that he should go to the bank, get as much money as they will give him and go start a business whilst he still knows everything.

To this day that has always stuck with me, even if I did momentarily forgot it now and then.

My dad told my older brother, at about age 16, that he should go to the bank, get as much money as they will give him and go start a business whilst he still knows everything.

To this day that has always stuck with me, even if I did momentarily forgot it now and then.
How old was your older brother?

'justify your existance'

I WAS GOING TO POST THE SAME THING. I actually feel a little sorry for him in this regard. As funny and ironic as it is, imagine having to live with that for the rest of your life.

Hmm I’m not buying into the negative narrative here around Walsh.

Great player, going to get even better over time. Look forward to seeing his development and to some day soon see him representing Queensland.

Great player, going to get even better over time. Look forward to seeing his development and to some day soon see him representing Queensland.

he'll probably represent NZ ... easier path to rep honours

Ok that’s a relief. No need to risk him this season and let him focus on rehab
My concern is if he is going to be injury plagued? Carrying another player on the salary cap. We have been totally torched in our salary cap. Hope he recovers but more, I hope the Broncos recover because we have an epic hang over from White and Nolan. It is the kind of hang over that asks if the fans can recover.

It's not a "form dip", that's the problem. Did all the "future immortal" rookies before him have a 10 year "form dip" after their debut year which was 10x what Walsh has shown?
TEAMS FIGURE ROOKIES OUT. Their 10 minute (max for walsh)flashes of talent are what get them noticed, but a game goes for 80 minutes. It also consists of attack AND defence, stupid errors are not forgiven, and it's a team sport. This is all learnt in reserve grade, in the NRL it quickly becomes a reputation and gets further targeted leading to a complete loss of confidence that may never be recovered.
Never guaranteed but given his attitude I will be putting money on Walsh never playing origin unless there are 3+ injuries at fullback and he will not be anything more then a highlights reel player from time to time in the mould of a Bevan French. Brown has absolutely destroyed his career in my eyes, he probably claimed "look what I did with ponga" when he sold it to Walsh but ponga was 10x the player he was at the same age AND I firmly believe he would have been in a better position with his career had he not joined Newcastle.
Yep, and even the cowboys kept Ponga out of first grade for a good chunk of his debut season there.

Walsh reminds me of jarrod sammut & I wouldn’t be surprised if his career goes the same way.
Wasn't he the bloke that used to play for the Riff and looked like a clone of Akermanis from the Brisbane Lions?

Walsh reminds me of jarrod sammut & I wouldn’t be surprised if his career goes the same way.
Fun fact, Fifita & Sammut grew up playing footy together always had the same attitude since kids and looks where they both have ended up.....

I think you have misunderstood tbh. Nobody is saying he wont become a decent footballer, people are rightly making the point the Broncos did nothing wrong with him. We gave him a clear pathway to first grade, we gave him a more than fair contract offer for a player with barely any experience even in ISC and we didnt bow down and just throw him in. We didnt let him go, he chose the money and left to play elsewhere.

I think you have misunderstood tbh. Nobody is saying he wont become a decent footballer, people are rightly making the point the Broncos did nothing wrong with him. We gave him a clear pathway to first grade, we gave him a more than fair contract offer for a player with barely any experience even in ISC and we didnt bow down and just throw him in. We didnt let him go, he chose the money and left to play elsewhere.
I actually think this is a rare example where both the club and the player made a call that most reasonable people could agree with or at the very least understand both parties decision.

Walsh is young, he could break down badly and lose it all tomorrow. It happens all the time to promising youngsters. The Broncos have been a shambles for most of the time's been associated with us and the Warriors had just hired Phil Gould and had RTS up their sleeve. It's great money, a really good opportunity and I don't think I could really blame him for jumping at it.

Equally, it was a big, big gamble on the Warriors part, and we'd have had to make that same gamble if we wanted to keep him. Given the mess we find ourselves in currently and how much of that is tied to overpaying and overcommiting to youngsters with little or no runs on the board, I'm completely fine with the decision the club made at the time.

I'm critical of the club for thinking Isaako was going to be good enough to get us through 2021 because it had major question marks over it all along, but that doesn't automatically mean retaining Walsh at any cost was the right call either.

Hope I’m wrong but I have a feeling it’s going to be increasingly difficult for NRL clubs to convince their talented young players to bake in lower grades until they’re ready..

With the money that’s on offer and the fact that clubs are willing to pay for potential, (especially the desperate ones who need results yesterday) clubs are going to have to be really strong and not flinch - as the Broncos did in the case of Walsh.

hopefully things might simmer down in this regard once Covid is done and those lower tier competitions aren’t disrupted as they have been.

Hope I’m wrong but I have a feeling it’s going to be increasingly difficult for NRL clubs to convince their talented young players to bake in lower grades until they’re ready..

With the money that’s on offer and the fact that clubs are willing to pay for potential, (especially the desperate ones who need results yesterday) clubs are going to have to be really strong and not flinch - as the Broncos did in the case of Walsh.

hopefully things might simmer down in this regard once Covid is done and those lower tier competitions aren’t disrupted as they have been.

You could possibly be right, but then i look at what Melbourne do, and look at what Penrith have done with the likes of Burton and Luai for example and i think there is still hope if as a club you can show the player the system works, even if it might mean taking a hit financially at first.

I think the NRL needs to really legislate for some salary cap changes that will ensure these young blokes dont just go chasing the money. I'm not entirely sure what the answer would be. It could ba a cap on how much you can pay a young player up until they are say 20 or 21, but be flexible enough to have a system where if a player makes a breakthrough and is playing regular first grade you can move him outside that cap. It seem the clubs that scout and recruit younger players well arent getting any reward for it.

You could possibly be right, but then i look at what Melbourne do, and look at what Penrith have done with the likes of Burton and Luai for example and i think there is still hope if as a club you can show the player the system works, even if it might mean taking a hit financially at first.

I think the NRL needs to really legislate for some salary cap changes that will ensure these young blokes dont just go chasing the money. I'm not entirely sure what the answer would be. It could ba a cap on how much you can pay a young player up until they are say 20 or 21, but be flexible enough to have a system where if a player makes a breakthrough and is playing regular first grade you can move him outside that cap. It seem the clubs that scout and recruit younger players well arent getting any reward for it.
💯

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Dash
  • Morkel
  • HarryAllan7
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Broncosgirl
  • Bish
  • Old Mate
  • Morepudding
  • RolledOates
  • Allo
  • FACTHUNT
  • Fatboy
  • Foordy
  • winslow_wong
  • Bucking Beads
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.