Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Always thought he'd be a great signing for Redcliffe. Although I'm guessing they will instead spend 4 X as much on ponga with a shocking team around him. Osullivan the recruitment guru

You put Herbie in there with no preseason and you'll basically get the same output as Edwards.
He’ll get the same output as Kenny edwards for **** sakes. Can everyone stop fantasizing about Farnworth at fullback with zero to suggest he would be good. Like seriously the bloke struggled under the high ball come the end of the year. Only thing he has got is his running game which is good don’t get me wrong but he has to put speed everyone cause his step isn’t lethal enough and he can’t shrug off tackles. Don’t even get me started on his passing game. Cobbo is a fucken FULLBACK playing centre to appease Niu’s ego and to develop.

He’ll get the same output as Kenny edwards for **** sakes. Can everyone stop fantasizing about Farnworth at fullback with zero to suggest he would be good. Like seriously the bloke struggled under the high ball come the end of the year. Only thing he has got is his running game which is good don’t get me wrong but he has to put speed everyone cause his step isn’t lethal enough and he can’t shrug off tackles. Don’t even get me started on his passing game. Cobbo is a fucken FULLBACK playing centre to appease Niu’s ego and to develop.
Farnworth has a great left foot step. It’s why he makes so many breaks when he plays on the left side of the field. It’s also why he gets quick play the balls and so many metres because everyone ends up having to tackle him side on.

I have no doubt that his meters at fullback would be massive. 200m games would be a common occurrence - he’s also shown that he’s pretty good at backing up the play. It’s all the other stuff like positioning and ball playing where he would struggle. Overall though I think he’d do a good job.

I think his best position by far is left wing. It allows him to utilise his skills the best - kick returns, speed, left foot step. I’m just not sure Oates has regressed enough to give up that position though.

I agree that Cobbo is the best fullback at the club. While I do want him to develop correctly we’ve seen Walsh, Laurie, and Campbell all excel when given the chance. I think ideally Cobbo starts on that right wing for a few rounds before displacing Niu.

Our right hand side could start the season::
2ndrow: Riki/Capewell
Halfback: Reynolds
Centre: Staggs
Wing: Cobbo

That could be the best attacking side in the league. That should really make Niu’s job easy in attack. He’d have all the space in the world.

I’m all for the Herbie experiment but I just don’t see him working there with his total lack of passing ability. His speed and left foot step would be pretty handy. No idea how his positioning or defence will go.
Inclined to agree, but I've been put under a gag order.

Edwards support play is excellent. He isnt elite by any stretch of the imagination but he's effective and he plays well pretty much every week.

Wasn’t he the guy Haas ran around two years ago?

I’m all for the Herbie experiment but I just don’t see him working there with his total lack of passing ability. His speed and left foot step would be pretty handy. No idea how his positioning or defence will go.
Edwards doesn't pass either, that's why I made the comparison :rofl

complete myth
I’m a big fan of Herbie but it’s not a myth. He doesn’t have a developed passing game. Didn’t have one in cup either.

It’s not to say he can’t pass, anyone in the NRL can pass - so you will see instances of him doing it but it doesn’t mean he has a passing game

Edwards fits the Penrith system well, bit like a Storm player. Take them out of the system and....

No interest whatsoever if adding Edwards means we lose or provide less development or game time to any of our young center 3/4s currently here.

If we lose a vet like Oates then a different matter....

I’m a big fan of Herbie but it’s not a myth. He doesn’t have a developed passing game. Didn’t have one in cup either.

It’s not to say he can’t pass, anyone in the NRL can pass - so you will see instances of him doing it but it doesn’t mean he has a passing game
Surely the forum has been over this enough already.

Aside from a handful of instances, who should Farnworth have been passing to? His winger that was either not in support or struggling to keep up with him or his second rower, who was Glenn (which tells you everything you need to know)?

There is no point in passing the ball just for the sake of it. Give it to someone in a better position than yourself or take the tackle.

My issue with his non-passing is that he doesn’t even look to pass.
I don’t think there is a great deal wrong with a bloke playing centre (or fullback), that has played less than 50 games, having a run first mentality. Rarely does a player come into first grade with all the skills.

I also agree I’d like to see him look to setup his outside man more, but I do genuinely believe he’s had very little support in his NRL career from his winger(s).

Indeed, he can only work with what he’s got either side of him, and I think it’s fair to say the entire left side attack has been a shambles for a long time.

Shifting him to the wing will give him even less opportunity, especially in our team that has no idea how to use our wingers (hoping Reynolds can fix this though).

For mine, I’d like to see Staggs in the centres and Farnworth / Cobbo at fullback / the other centre.

Surely the forum has been over this enough already.

Aside from a handful of instances, who should Farnworth have been passing to? His winger that was either not in support or struggling to keep up with him or his second rower, who was Glenn (which tells you everything you need to know)?

There is no point in passing the ball just for the sake of it. Give it to someone in a better position than yourself or take the tackle.
Two seperate discussions. I’ve made all the points you just did previously when I defended Herbie. Whether or not he’s a hog isn’t the same as whether or not he can ball play.

Two seperate discussions. I’ve made all the points you just did previously when I defended Herbie. Whether or not he’s a hog isn’t the same as whether or not he can ball play.
I disagree. I think it’s a valid point no matter which of the two you’re basing your criticism on.

I’d also say it’s hard, nigh on impossible, for Herbie to prove he’s not a ball hog and / or demonstrate his ball playing ability when there is rarely anyone for him to pass to.

If you put him at centre in a strong, well drilled backline (e.g. the Storm, Penrith etc.), I am pretty confident he would prove you wrong.

I disagree. I think it’s a valid point no matter which of the two you’re basing your criticism on.

I’d also say it’s hard, nigh on impossible, for Herbie to prove he’s not a ball hog and / or demonstrate his ball playing ability when there is rarely anyone for him to pass to.

If you put him at centre in a strong, well drilled backline (e.g. the Storm, Penrith etc.), I am pretty confident he would prove you wrong.
He played Q Cup in 2019. Some of which was at fullback

My issue with his non-passing is that he doesn’t even look to pass.
That's called being a "hog." You're saying he "won't pass."

I used to think the same of Kotoni but he certainly wasn't a hog when he returned from injury.

That's called lacking a basic skill needed by an inside back. You're saying he "can't pass."

I'm not sure which of you, or both, is right. But my observation is he rarely passes, or tries to hook up with other players. The excuse that everyone else in the team is too shit to pass to, is beyond contempt. Not having a bar of that. He had the entire season to sort out his combinations.

We'll soon know whether Kevvie feels the same way when we see who he shifts to the wing.

We have other players in key positions who cant pass. Our main hooker is one of them. Staggs isnt that well known for it either. Bit unfair to single out Herbie in a side thats been pretty weak.

That's called being a "hog." You're saying he "won't pass."

I used to think the same of Kotoni but he certainly wasn't a hog when he returned from injury.

That's called lacking a basic skill needed by an inside back. You're saying he "can't pass."

I'm not sure which of you, or both, is right. But my observation is he rarely passes, or tries to hook up with other players. The excuse that everyone else in the team is too shit to pass to, is beyond contempt. Not having a bar of that. He had the entire season to sort out his combinations.

We'll soon know whether Kevvie feels the same way when we see who he shifts to the wing.
I’ve made my feelings clear on how much weight I think Kev’s opinion deserves on players best positions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• KateBroncos1812
  • Mr Fourex
  • Stix
  • Jazza
  • Wolfie
  • Galah
  • Xzei
  • Harry Sack
  • Broncosgirl
  • Cavalo
  • Culhwch
  • bazza
  • Fitzy
  • Broncorob
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Justwin
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Fozz
  • heartly87
  • Behind enemy lines
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.