Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m really not a big fan of Niu at this point either. Maybe he has it, maybe he doesn’t, but I’m over rookie experiments at fullback (or spine) for the time being. I hope I’m proved wrong.
He seems to have some real skill and seems to have gotten better too, from passing to support play, but there's something about him I just don't rate, and I can't pinpoint it at all.

I personally would go Cobbo at fullback, so I'm not saying he is elite as he isn't but what I'm saying is that he has shown a bit thus far, go watch some late season highlights and his skills are on show. He is also still very young so will improve. Attack isn't his issue, defense is and massively so.

Although those skills have centred around his running game. He hasn't really shown much in the way of play making or passing.

which is why many people don't want Farnworth to get a go at the back.

IMO, Farnworth has shown more play making/ passing than Cobbo ... but Cobbo has it over him in the strength and speed departments.

So thats why we'd be better putting Cobbo where he can better utilise his strengths ... at centre.

Thats not to say that he won't make an excellent fullback one day, but there's no rush.

Although those skills have centred around his running game. He hasn't really shown much in the way of play making or passing.

which is why many people don't want Farnworth to get a go at the back.

IMO, Farnworth has shown more play making/ passing than Cobbo ... but Cobbo has it over him in the strength and speed departments.

So thats why we'd be better putting Cobbo where he can better utilise his strengths ... at centre.

Thats not to say that he won't make an excellent fullback one day, but there's no rush.
sorry but Niu and cobbo are both better ball players than Farnworth. From what I've seen i believe Farnworth could be a great winger ,
Cobbo is the better centre and probably fullback and Tesi's best position is fullback.

sorry but Niu and cobbo are both better ball players than Farnworth. From what I've seen i believe Farnworth could be a great winger ,
Cobbo is the better centre and probably fullback and Tesi's best position is fullback.

Completely disagree ... I haven't seen any ball playing at all from Cobbo. He uses his strength and speed to do what he does at the back. You can get away with it in the ISC, much harder to do in the NRL.

On Nui, many of his assists seem to be by accident, watch him closely, he appears to be trying an individual play for himself

Its basics he stuffs up on. ITs not about his defensive resolve either, its simple things like not being aware of attacking players around him, letting the ball bounce etc. I'm the last one to be too critical of young blokes making mistakes while learning their trade, it comes with the territory. I just dont see anything anywhere in his game that makes me think he improve our 17 in any way right now. I dont think anyone expects the finished article, but i have barely even seen him be a standout at any level he has played at. I'm still of the opinion we need to pick his position going forward, and make him prove his worth in ISC. If he can get a chance in first grade and play well enough to hold his spot, then great, but until then i think he needs to develop in ISC.
I agree with his kick returns being weak - very weak - but can't agree with him not being a standout.

He was Player of Round 14, and pretty much universally praised and hyped by commentators from this game on. He scored 8 tries from 16 appearances (Jamayne 6 from 18, Selwyn 2 from 7, Herbie 3 from 20).

BHQ Best 14

Yeah he actually played worse after being dropped to Q Cup to earn his position. It was only Isaako making himself unpickable and a last minute injury causing Farnworth to miss his shot.

You are right but you can't deny Tesi got his opportunity and made it very hard to not be picked again, since then he's been quite good actually, not incredible or amazing but quite good and he's still learning so you'd like to think there's a bit more to come.

He came up with a selfish grubber play and scored a try off of it and I think we got belted that night, if he kicks that dead he probably doesn't get picked again but he probably knew he had nothing to lose and played accordingly.

I agree with his kick returns being weak - very weak - but can't agree with him not being a standout.

He was Player of Round 14, and pretty much universally praised and hyped by commentators from this game on. He scored 8 tries from 16 appearances (Jamayne 6 from 18, Selwyn 2 from 7, Herbie 3 from 20).

View attachment 16297

The odd good game doesnt make you a standout though. He's just not that great imo. He's very much in the Isaako bracket as somebody said previously. Capable of doing some great things, equally as capable of being really poor, but most of the time underwhelming.

Like with any player though, fresh start next year so if he comes back, performs well consistently he will get his spot.

You are right but you can't deny Tesi got his opportunity and made it very hard to not be picked again, since then he's been quite good actually, not incredible or amazing but quite good and he's still learning so you'd like to think there's a bit more to come.

He came up with a selfish grubber play and scored a try off of it and I think we got belted that night, if he kicks that dead he probably doesn't get picked again but he probably knew he had nothing to lose and played accordingly.
Definitely. He could probably thank that arsey play for how well his season turned out. Bough himself a lot of good will with that.

Not a terrible player by any stretch and as I said, i think he deserves to start (as long as he is putting in the effort over the preseason).

I don’t think Tesi has the temperament for NRL. Herbie could do okay as a stopgap until Covbo’s ready, but this runs the risk of inflating his value (wants fb money) when his contract is up. Will be interesting what they go with. It’s not an easy decision.

The odd good game doesnt make you a standout though. He's just not that great imo. He's very much in the Isaako bracket as somebody said previously. Capable of doing some great things, equally as capable of being really poor, but most of the time underwhelming.

Like with any player though, fresh start next year so if he comes back, performs well consistently he will get his spot.
Sounds like the makings of a future Dolphin for sure.

He seems to have some real skill and seems to have gotten better too, from passing to support play, but there's something about him I just don't rate, and I can't pinpoint it at all.
He lacks the competitive edge. You see it in how he slows in cover defence and when he made a break almost getting run down because he took his foot of the gas thinking he had it. He scored in the end but almost ruined his great foot work of the scrum. He drops his head to easy because he doesn't believe either in himself or those around him.

I think a lot of it comes down to confidence. Guys like Milf and Barba are a similar example. I honestly think he was too heavy this year as they tried to build him for centre. Just like Barba and Milf, Tesi needs to be fit and more athletic, not powerful. If he can string a few games of high quality and the team are going well I believe Tesi could show us some great talent. I am just not a fan of thst style of player, we need consistent performer's in the spine.

Cobbo would be my pick of the bunch but he also completes the team at centre. We have options this year, the Seagulls centre we signed (name escapes me) Hoiter or something, he could fill that spot potentially to free up Cobbo. Now Cobbo with a few extra kgs could be something special, explosive, powerful and competitive.

Herbie is an unknown I really don't think we have seen everything he has to offer yet. He is a powerful runner and elusive to boot. Reminds me of Tate in some respects. But again i don't think we have seen his ball playing ability for a number of reasons. Team cohesion having a lot to do with it. He could surprise us if given the chance.

Really keen to see what Kev does with the side next year.

Who was the last left center we had with genuine strike? pearl?

Bird technically.
Well maybe i should qualify it with played 50 games for us,but pearl wasnt exactly known for putting his wingers away let farnworth play to his strengths at left center imo.

Who was the last left center we had with genuine strike? pearl?
Roberts and Hodges.

Jack Reed wasnt strike, but he was certainly solid and would get the ball across the line when required

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• ivanhungryjak
  • Mustafur
  • Morkel
  • Broncosgirl
  • bazza
  • Allo
  • Harry Sack
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.