OFFICIAL Broncos sign Brenko Lee

In a like for like replacement for Xavier Coates, the Broncos have signed Storm and Maroons winger Brenko Lee on a 2 year deal starting in 2022. Lee, who can play wing or centre, has already advised his Storm team mates of his decision. He has not played a game yet this season due to injury.

Lee:

Coming to the Storm has been a life-changing experience mentally and physically. I nearly gave it away after the Titans told me it was best for us to part ways and go in a different direction. I hold no grudges against anyone. They finished last and some guys had to go.”

“If you told me I would have been in a grand final, I would have asked what you are smoking because I didn’t think it was possible. was close to pulling the pin completely. I nearly gave it away after the Titans told me it was best for us to part ways and go in a different direction. I hold no grudges against anyone. They finished last and some guys had to go.

McHunt

You say his form in the NRL isn't relevant? Only last year? 1/7 counts for you?

If Bellamy rates him so much, why didn't they resign him? Why is he in reserve grade now?

And you're weirdly comparing the amount of tackles he made in one game compared to the rest of the backline. It's like you quickly see a stat and think it helps your argument without actually thinking it through, but you're talking shit and have some strange opinions. I doubt how much footy you actually watch.
Isn't Brenko injured rather than not being picked?

I don’t mind this signing.

Brenko is a good player. He was very inconsistent prior to his stint at the Storm, but it seems as though his time at Storm has turned his career around and he’s actually become a dependable player. Nothing flash, just gets the job done.

We could use a player like that. Personally Gagai would have been a better choice but it seems as though they are going to miss out on him, hence the signing of Lee.
I see him replacing Richie Kennar. I think he's off contract next year.

Isn't Brenko injured rather than not being picked?
The only games he has played this year was in ISC. So his 2021 so far has been Injured -> 2 games in ISC -> Injured. On top of not being wanted by Melbourne.

But it's fun to read the arguments "hE plYed dA oRigiN Nd g0t a prEmiERshiP"

Choice! I can't understand why we'd want to move Lodge then. I'm not even sure it's true. With Reynolds and Lee we've addressed two areas of concern and if we have the cash as you say we could try to get a top flight fullback. I don't think we need one but I would be happy as long as we kept Isaako. Definitely want to see Kennedy rewarded, he's been solid.
I'm firmly in the keep Lodge camp, I rate him highly. Isaako won't go anywhere, he'll be centre or fullback if we do sign a fullback.

My prediction is we'll end up signing Gagai (Isaako to wing), Hynes, and one of Capewell/Sua which will take us pretty close to our cap limit with money left over for a sneaky off season last minute signing.

Your mate Kennedy is signed for next year, so he'll be around pushing for an extension

His form years ago is absolutely relevant. Look at what he did outside of the Melbourne system. He did exactly what I said in my original post, often brilliant with the ball, but horrible defensively. Look at all the people who have left the Storm system and been useless, Brenko could very well do the exact same thing. There is also the fact that Melbourne didn't want to keep him, that's an even worse sign of what's to come.

Saying that, as I originally said, he can be a decent depth signing on the right money, but we are in trouble if he is a first choice outside back.

Playing the game means jack shit. I played for 15 years, and it's completely irrelevant. Thank you for the life story though.
So, your 15 years experience is irrelevant but Lee's experience years ago is? You don't think your 15 years in the game helped you understand the game? Anyway, you keep looking at life in the most negative way you can and keep making absolute statements and I'll do something different.

I'm firmly in the keep Lodge camp, I rate him highly. Isaako won't go anywhere, he'll be centre or fullback if we do sign a fullback.

My prediction is we'll end up signing Gagai (Isaako to wing), Hynes, and one of Capewell/Sua which will take us pretty close to our cap limit with money left over for a sneaky off season last minute signing.
I'm okay with keeping Lodge and Flegler if they continue their trajectories of the last two weeks, but not if last week was them at their peaks. Both are overpaid though.

I'm okay with keeping Lodge and Flegler if they continue their trajectories of the last two weeks, but not if last week was them at their peak. Both are overpaid though.
Yeah fair and half disagree. I think Lodge is getting paid what he's worth (which is somewhere between 600-700k depending on which media source you believe). Flegler is overpaid, I don't care too much if he sticks around but I'd rather he's moved on if a team will pay most of his salary.

Fairly hard to argue against that, unless you ignore the facts.
It is a fact, but it's also kinda meaningless. There are heaps of origin playing, premiership winning players who are just average and should spend their time mostly in reserve grade.
So, your 15 years experience is irrelevant but Lee's experience years ago is? You don't think your 15 years in the game helped you understand the game? Anyway, you keep looking at life in the most negative way you can and keep making absolute statements and I'll do something different.
My 15 years experience playing local footy means nothing when watching NRL and giving an opinion on that. Even playing at the highest level can mean nothing, look at some of the opinions from blokes like Anasta and Roach.

Lee's experience playing NRL is relevant when talking about his ability of playing in the NRL. See the difference?

Yeah fair and half disagree. I think Lodge is getting paid what he's worth (which is somewhere between 600-700k depending on which media source you believe). Flegler is overpaid, I don't care too much if he sticks around but I'd rather he's moved on if a team will pay most of his salary.
Lodge is on between $700-800k reportedly. Some say above 700k, others below $800k, which is the same thing. Not that I trust any contract numbers.

Lodge is on between $700-800k reportedly. Some say above 700k, others below $800k, which is the same thing. Not that I trust any contract numbers.
How about we agree he's on 100k and call him the best contract in the NRL? Because I reckon your guess is as good as mine with all the misinformation and different numbers on his deal.

It is a fact, but it's also kinda meaningless. There are heaps of origin playing, premiership winning players who are just average and should spend their time mostly in reserve grade.

My 15 years experience playing local footy means nothing when watching NRL and giving an opinion on that. Even playing at the highest level can mean nothing, look at some of the opinions from blokes like Anasta and Roach.

Lee's experience playing NRL is relevant when talking about his ability of playing in the NRL. See the difference?
Not really. I don't rate him, personally, but even being selected in a winning grand final team is a badge of honour you can't dismiss.

How about we agree he's on 100k and call him the best contract in the NRL? Because I reckon your guess is as good as mine with all the misinformation and different numbers on his deal.
Where are you getting the numbers that aren't more than $700K or almost $800K? Seems to be what's thrown around. A bit like the Reynolds numbers, somewhere within the $2.2- 2.5 million region.

Not really. I don't rate him, personally, but even being selected in a winning grand final team is a badge of honour you can't dismiss.
I actually rate him. I've really liked him for a long time, but it's always been "if he could just fix his defence he'd be a gun"

But at the end of the day, there are a lot of premiership winning origin players who really weren't that good. Off the top of my head Brett White, Justin O'Neill, Dane Nielson and now Coen Hess is entering that territory. All I'm saying is, it's a weak argument. But as I said originally, I'm OK with the signing if it's on 200k or less.

Where are you getting the numbers that aren't more than $700K or almost $800K? Seems to be what's thrown around. A bit like the Reynolds numbers, somewhere within the $2.2- 2.5 million region.
Zero tackle has him on 700k (with a source linking to The Courier Mail)
The Australian has him on 800k and "upwards of" 750k

The Courier Mail also has him on 550k stating he sacrificed 250k a year to stay with us (yet 700k in the zero tackle source linking to them as well in a different article...)

Nine has him on a million a year

So you can hopefully see why I find it hard to believe any source on his contract value.

So given they're all guessing, my best guess would be he's on 600-650k because that's what he would've been worth at the time

Attachments

• 1620952050460.png
    1620952050460.png
    61 KB · Views: 88
View attachment 12961
View attachment 12965
The Courier Mail also has him on 550k stating he sacrificed 250k a year to stay with us (yet 700k in the zero tackle source linking to them as well in a different article...)
View attachment 12963

View attachment 12966

So you can hopefully see why I find it hard to believe any source on his contract value.

So given they're all guessing, my best guess would be he's on 600-650k because that's what he would've been worth at the time
I think you have nailed it. If I had to pick a number and had to back my judgment with hard(ly) earned cash it would be 600k pa. I know Lodge had external offers when he signed with us and I think they were at that number and perhaps beyond. I listened to him speak and I believed him when he said he felt he owed the club and those who stuck by him. I also think the club would have taken advantage of that and signed him for less than what other clubs would have offered.

My guess would be it was between 500k and 600k a season.

View attachment 12961
View attachment 12965
View attachment 12963

View attachment 12966

And to be honest $650k per year for Lodge, given his current form, is actually a fairly good deal.

As always, if we desperately need cash than we should be flogging off Croft and Flegler.

Active Now

• broncos4life
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Financeguy
  • pennywisealfie
  • bb_gun
  • Sproj
  • Morkel
  • bert_lifts
  • Cavalo
  • Dexter
  • Dreaglor
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • BroncosAlways
  • Jason Simmons
  • mrslong
  • Dash
  • Robboi_321
  • BruiserMk1
  • Fitzy
  • Hoof Hearted
... and 14 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.