Broncos Vrs Eels match thread.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
I've been meaning to post something, but this thriller in Townsville was keeping me on the edge of my seat... :oops:

I'm really happy with the win, because although we were dominated in ball possession, field position and abominable ref calls, we hung in there, defended superbly and scored surgically.
After the Panthers game where we came close, it was good to get this gritty win against a desperate Eels team.
It’s important to get these wins when we’re not on song!

We definitely lacked forward meters, and Sims was probably the most enterprising, while very unlucky with 2 atrocious referee calls. Hopefully Anderson will be back next week, because Kenny isn’t doing much either in attack or defense, while Dodds puts in a solid defense at least.

Individually, Lockyer, Hoffman, Te’o, Folau, Wallace and Gillett where good, and Winterstein was again ordinary. Maybe it is time for him to go to QCup and give Kempy a go.

Edit: posted accidentaly too early

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
I thought there were some ordinary calls against us tonight. those 3 forward pass calls i thought were flat at worst but definitely not forward. i think they missed 2 forward passes that the Eels threw. I alson thought that was a BS penalty against McCullough at the end of the first half for taking out Burt, i though he just turned to chase and Burt ran into him.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
If the Storm beat the Rabbitohs tonight and the Warriors beat the Roosters tomorrow we will be in 5th place on the ladder at the end of the round

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
tkday said:
Wallace looked lost? I thought he was doing a great job. We are so lucky we held in with that many mistakes being made. Broncos better clean up their act and stop making stupid mistakes, it's going to kill us. If we played like that against any other team with a better attack then we would've been butchered. I don't know how we are getting this many wins with our average playing. I guess it's good that just about every other team is doing terrible as well.

Where did we make so many mistakes? Our forward pack was dominated and as such our go forward was reduced, giving all the field position to the Eels. Given that fact, I actually think we performed admirably to defend well and pounce on the few chances we had...

I really hate this mentality of taking our credit away by defining the opposition as crap, because otherwise we would have been hammered... [icon_thumbs_do

Donny

Donny

NRL Player
Mar 31, 2010
Wallace looked lost???? Wallace scored our first try and threw that good ball Parker for the Folau try. McCollough's kicking game is shit!@! Everytime Wallace or Lockyer kicked they found the ground and plenty of metres but when McCollough kicks it goes straight to the fullback/winger!

Winterstein really needs to learn to catch a high ball. No suprise all the bombs from Hayne and Mortimer where directed at him! Kemp was playing Q Cup this weekend wasnt he? Has he played yet and do we have an update on how he played. If he played at even 50% of his potential then he should come straight in for Winter!

Ben Teo was awsome again, on at least three occasions he took the ball up and made really hard metres when we were trapped in our 20. Kenny made some good runs too. I think Anderson will come in for Dodds when he is fit. Dodds is a good defender but doesnt run the ball enough.

In suammry not a pritty win but a very good win! Man we had some dodgy calls go against us and will still hung in. I think if we can win next week against the tigers and then go into the bye and have a good week off we will be in a very good position. Hopefully by that time Hodges is almost ready to come back!

Good win boys, very proud!!!!!!!!

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Kemp played QLD cup last week, no QLD cup games for Easts this weekend.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Donny said:
Bucking Beads said:
Kemp played QLD cup last week, no QLD cup games for Easts this weekend.

How did he go? Score any tries?

Kicked 5 from 5. Easts won. Kemp didn't score and he wasn't really mentioned in the write up for the game.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Wallace threw 2 forward passes, he generally looked hesitant when he had the ball, his defence was soft at times...2 good plays doesn't make up for that!

Donny

Donny

NRL Player
Mar 31, 2010
2 foward passes that could of been called either way. Nobody can question Wallace's defence, he is by far one of the best number 7's for defence in the comp. One half of footy where he got pushed away twice doesnt mean shit all IMO. Wallace puts his body on the line more than anybody in the Broncos side and thats all you can ask from him! He almost never misses tackles. He is almost the first on the kick chase everytime and makes the first tackle more than anyone else!

If you had of told me that Wallace will miss two tackles in the first half but will score a try and set another up i would take that everyday.

Cant be brillant everygame

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
Coxy said:
Wallace threw 2 forward passes, he generally looked hesitant when he had the ball, his defence was soft at times...2 good plays doesn't make up for that!
I think that's really harsh, because those forward pass calls were doubtful in the least.
Like Donny said, Wallace is close to the best defensive half back of the comp, scored a try and set up the other.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Donny said:

At the back end of the season, with his reputation, he has to be. Against the top sides, we're no chance if he isn't.

Donny

Donny

NRL Player
Mar 31, 2010
rnabokov said:
Donny said:

At the back end of the season, with his reputation, he has to be. Against the top sides, we're no chance if he isn't.

Lucky it wasnt the back end of the season then. Besides he played well IMO. To harsh IMO

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
+1000
People are so quick to bag Wallace here.....
They conveniently forget how the whole team falls to shit when ever he's injured.

Wallace is extremely important to the success of our team, he's a brilliant defender and those forward passes I remember were the sort of passes that are let off every other day of the week. He's not in top form but he's hardly as crap as people are making him out to be, he's doing his role in the team atm and that's all that's needed when Lockyer is in the team for the brilliant stuff. He stepped up in the Rabbitohs game without Lockyer and I expect him to do the same if needed again.

QUEENSLANDER

QUEENSLANDER

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Donny said:
rnabokov said:
Donny said:

Lucky it wasnt the back end of the season then. Besides he played well IMO. To harsh IMO

Technially, we are past half way, so its the back end... but thats just being technical [icon_razz1

Donny

Donny

NRL Player
Mar 31, 2010
broncospwn said:
+1000
They conveniently forget how the whole team falls to shit when ever he's injured.

Wallace is extremely important to the success of our team, he's a brilliant defender and those forward passes I remember were the sort of passes that are let off every other day of the week. He's not in top form but he's hardly as crap as people are making him out to be, he's doing his role in the team atm and that's all that's needed when Lockyer is in the team for the brilliant stuff. He stepped up in the Rabbitohs game without Lockyer and I expect him to do the same if needed again.

+99billion

Anyone remember what happened when Wallace broke his ankle against the Dragons?? We played Melbourne the week after and were smashed off the park. Im not for one minute suggesting we would of beaten melbourne with Wallce but im 100% confident that we wouldnt of been flooged like we did.

I cant believe the amount of negative talk about Wallace! Great player who deserves a lot more IMO

ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Donny said:
broncospwn said:
+1000

+99billion

Anyone remember what happened when Wallace broke his ankle against the Dragons?? We played Melbourne the week after and were smashed off the park. Im not for one minute suggesting we would of beaten melbourne with Wallce but im 100% confident that we wouldnt of been flooged like we did.

I cant believe the amount of negative talk about Wallace! Great player who deserves a lot more IMO

We're discussing Wallace's form at the moment, not his form towards the end of last season.

He has had a fairly poor season IMO. The only match he's really impressed me was against Souths. Other than that, he hasn't been playing to his potential. His kicking game in particular has disappointed me.

I think we all know he has the talent, but he needs to find some consistency.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
broncospwn said:
+1000

Went pretty fucking well without him when our winning streak started!

Frankly I think he's the most overrated player in our team. Solid, but not that much different to Shane Perry...does a job but isn't brilliant in any aspect of the game.

I wouldn't mind if he left. Team wouldn't be hurt by it. We have Hunt and Norman showing much more promise than him.

Unread

Active Now

• Sproj
  • BruiserMk1
  • kiwi2
  • Brocko
  • Financeguy
  • Bucking Beads
  • Wolfie
  • Galah
  • Brotherdu
  • Evander
  • mieko
  • Johnny92
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.