Broncos Vs. Eels - Match Thread

porouian said:
Does anyone know what the 9 crew were talking about after the Burt try? As he was lining up the conversion, they said Archer was over virtually "apologising" to Corey about something, saying "I've made the call and I can't go make on it" - was it the forward pass from dummy half or did I miss something else?

I think it was that Wallace was tackled without the ball, but said he lost the ball.

The idea of Gillette at 6 wasn't as far fetched as many think. He played a lot of QCup there last year and did it well. I can see Ivans reasoning with Mateo playing a lot of 6 last night he would have terrorised Norman whos defensive deficiencies were more than shown up in the limited game time he got.

Russo said:
Few standouts at all tonight, just lots of dis-organisation and I do NOT blame Wally for that at all

OK, so our senior half, generally responsible for organisation is not AT ALL to blame for the total lack of organisation last night? Right.

Wallace wasn't solely to blame, but he was horrible. So was McCullough. Hunt made some bad decisions. Gillett....pffft. Norman had nothing when he came on. Wallace was isolated out there, but **** me he was bad.

audragon said:
Parker's sideway running is what started 2 of our 3 tries tonight... :roll:

OK, so add Parker to the list of players who can't be criticised. He had another big hearted performance, but I've been saying for years his sideways running and attempt to spin is more suited to Oztag than rugby league. He's been much better this season but last night he was much more sideways than he should've been.

Lateral movement is useless in rugby league without people hitting it up straight.

draggx said:
Clintos said:
I'm so **** sick of Folau not passing!

+10000

He does it every game fair enough Izzy you get across the line a fair bit but jesus if your winger is open give him the ball.

The curse of the broncos right centre lol. Tate and Hodges werent much better

That game was so disappointing. Our forwards did not go forward at all, in comparison to Parra's forward pack. Moi Moi and co dominated us. Tronc was growing on me but now he seems so slow. The only prop that had a little bit of enthusiasm last night was McGuire.

There were some pretty harsh calls by Archer BTW.

Again I think some of you are being WAY too harsh.

Wallace - okay. Kick out of the full and that risky last play option aside I thought he was the only Broncos player with any sense of direction. I thought Macca and Hunt both had shockers and their involvement harmed the Broncos rhythm and the Gillett experiment obviously failed because it wasn't used properly...I felt we kept Norman on the bench for way too long. Also I wouldn't call it TC 09 rather Stagg/Lockyer 08. TC 09, we had no proper half coming on to relieve TC.

Still thought there were some positives to take out of the game...

I thought our back 5 were all good. Yow Yeh played his best game of the season.

Te'o and Parker both played well and McGuire off the bench was incredibly promising.

Hopefully Henjak took something out of that game and prepares himself for Newcastle.

McGuire is really impressing me, he is fast becoming a favourtie of mine. Yow Yeh does some amazing things with his feet, he has great footwork. Glenn is a bloody good player to good for the bench IMO. He needs to be playing 80 mins every week, I wonder what happens if Hodges returns.

Coxy said:
OK, so add Parker to the list of players who can't be criticised. He had another big hearted performance, but I've been saying for years his sideways running and attempt to spin is more suited to Oztag than rugby league. He's been much better this season but last night he was much more sideways than he should've been.

Lateral movement is useless in rugby league without people hitting it up straight.

Parker ran for almost 200m last night, he is literally the only guy we have who actually knows how to get to the advantage line. I thought Thaiday was pretty ordinary last night, he really needs to carry the ball in two hands and concentrate on just pushing through the line again because last night he did plenty of work but we got little out of it.

The Brizz said:
Coxy said:

Parker ran for almost 200m last night, he is literally the only guy we have who actually knows how to get to the advantage line. I thought Thaiday was pretty ordinary last night, he really needs to carry the ball in two hands and concentrate on just pushing through the line again because last night he did plenty of work but we got little out of it.

Absolutely. Note I gave Parker 1 point in the 3-2-1. I think he played yet another strong game. But I do think he tends to drift sideways too often at times.

Oh he absolutely does go sideways but unlike when he was a fat young slow prop, he does it with a bit of pace and actually targets guys he can push through and gain some extra ground. Sometimes though it would be good to see him lead by example and run harder and straighter, because no one else seems interested in doing it.

The Rock said:
Honestly, do people think that our organisation is the core of our problem when we lose? Seriously? People go on about Wallace, Macca, Hunt etc, but seriously, our front rowers are absolutely rubbish right now. Don't get me wrong, our halves are average when we actually get some field position but seriously, our front rowers are soft c0cks.

Tronc - Where the hell are you? You average 6 metres a hitup FFS.
Dodds - 2 hit ups in 27 minutes? Are you **** serious?
Kenny - Glad you didn't play last night, would have been more embarrassing.
Anderson - Like your aggression but you need to take the ball up more FFS.

McGuire - Only shining light at the moment. MUST get a starting spot next week.

WE CANNOT win the comp this year with soft **** front rowers. Either they step up and take some of the workload off our back rowers or we get knocked out early in the finals. Simple.

Oh I agree. But the Broncos had what, 21 tackles inside the Eels 20 in the first 15 minutes and came up with NOTHING. That's not front rowers fault. That's 1, 6, 7, and 9. EPIC FAIL.

Our front row has been bad all year. Usually the back row plays good enough to make up for it though. But I think Thaiday, Teo and Gillett had some of their worse games this year.

Dodds 11 metres.. WTF? Do you avoid the ball?

I don't think our props were that bad. Tronc's second phase play definitely adds something to our attack and I thought that Anderson and McGuire really added something when they come off the bench. We have a strong backrow with a high workload, which makes a dominant front row less essential imo. As long as they hold their own, overall our pack will usually come out on top.

Sammy's had his two worst games of the season in the last two weeks, hopefully that's out of his system coming into the finals. Hopefully the Gillett 5/8 experiment is over and done with and he can return to being a dominant edge runner. It's not time to be slitting wrists just yet. The boys badly need to work on their structure in attack and Wallace needs to be more dominant and call the shots.

Jazza said:
I don't think our props were that bad. Tronc's second phase play definitely adds something to our attack and I thought that Anderson and McGuire really added something when they come off the bench. We have a strong backrow with a high workload, which makes a dominant front row less essential imo. As long as they hold their own, overall our pack will usually come out on top.

Sammy's had his two worst games of the season in the last two weeks, hopefully that's out of his system coming into the finals. Hopefully the Gillett 5/8 experiment is over and done with and he can return to being a dominant edge runner. It's not time to be slitting wrists just yet. The boys badly need to work on their structure in attack and Wallace needs to be more dominant and call the shots.

On the contrary, I think if the front row can start dominating more then our back row will absolutely run riot! Right now the back row has to pick up the slack of the front row by making ground and doing a lot of defence and wrapping up the second phase play.

Tronc was great with his offload for the Te'o try last night. But generally his hit ups are lumbering and lack metre gain. Not as bad as Kenny or Dodds though.

I want to see McGuire and Anderson get more game time, and Dodds and Kenny far less, or none!

IMO the game was lost in the first 15 minutes. Broncos had all the ball, all the field position. Should've managed at least 2 tries in that time.

Eels are a confidence team. They would've played more panic football chasing points, given their position on the ladder.

Our attack in that first 15 minutes was absolutely pathetic.

Coxy said:
IMO the game was lost in the first 15 minutes. Broncos had all the ball, all the field position. Should've managed at least 2 tries in that time.

Eels are a confidence team. They would've played more panic football chasing points, given their position on the ladder.

Our attack in that first 15 minutes was absolutely pathetic.

Yep. After watching that first 15 minutes, I was reminded of our incompetence against the Tigers. From there on, I couldn't really see us winning. We didn't even look like threatening the line, other than a last tackle kick to Folau's wing.

It's so frustrating to watch.

Coxy said:
Jazza said:

On the contrary, I think if the front row can start dominating more then our back row will absolutely run riot! Right now the back row has to pick up the slack of the front row by making ground and doing a lot of defence and wrapping up the second phase play.

Tronc was great with his offload for the Te'o try last night. But generally his hit ups are lumbering and lack metre gain. Not as bad as Kenny or Dodds though.

I want to see McGuire and Anderson get more game time, and Dodds and Kenny far less, or none!

Setu is a huge loss in that regard. I thought he was one of the keys of our winning run earlier in the year and am puzzled as to how he struggled to regain his spot following injury. In the paper today it says he has a broken jaw from training, unfortunately I'd say he's played his last game of NRL for a few years.

AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.