Broncos vs Sharks.. Build up Thread

K

kelsey tisdale

U18 Player
Aug 16, 2008
Lyn is correct, it is far too early to bring Hoffman in after knee reconstruction and his form for Redcliffe hasn't set the world on fire. I don't think Manihera is contracted anymore, what a waste of 20 grand he was last year, he is slower than Darly Halligan. I just don't see where the points are going to come from, the forwards will have to hold their own which is a rarity on a side whose defense is the second worst in the league. Cronulla by 10.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
^^^ Hoffman actually had a shoulder recon

B

broncosil

QCup Player
Mar 31, 2008
lyn said:
broncosil said:
I am a little concerned with some of the U20s players, such as Copely (as someone mentioned). U20s players are nowhere near the standard of Q cup or the NRL and absolutely no skill in defense. Why not Hoffman or Maneihera (sp?).
Just because you play in the U20s doesn't meant everyone that plays it is a bad defender. Hoffman is just back from injury and it's too early to rush him straight back into NRL. And Manihera isn't a fullback is he? Also is he still dual registered with us? Eitherway I don't think his defence can be any worse than KHunt's has been this year. Hewitt is unlucky to miss out.

First of all, was not sure on the situation of Hoffman or Manihera, but Manihera did sign with us last year.

Also I am yet to see an U20s player who could actually lift to the much higher standard that is NRL. All these young players get noticed first because of their attack, but they have little defensive ability. That's why we get stupid scorelines like 40-30, where the scores are high on both sides due to good attack and very poor defense. There is no way that such young and inexperienced players could solve the defensive problems that the Broncos have now.

Hewitt would be a far better choice, at least he plays Q cup, which many consider to be better quality than U20s

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Firstly Manihera was released by the Brisbane Broncos and he just happens to be playing for one of our feeder clubs in Burleigh. Secondly, he's a centre/winger...and I'd never have him at Fullback. I'd rather have a Jarryd Hayne signature set before I ever have Manihera at Fullback for the Broncos.

Hoffman's looking good for the Dolphins, if he can continue his development in the Queensland Cup I believe he'd be an adequate replacement for Karmichael.

Hewitt is another option, although I haven't had that much exposure to him.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
broncosil, have you seen Alex Glenn play this year, he has been in great form for us and he captained our under 20's last year.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
I thought it was interesting how in one of the articles Ben Hunt mentioned how he was always a Sharks supporter growing up. Hopefully they don't steal him from us...

R

rissi_gurl

NYC Player
Mar 17, 2008
did you see the article where they where comparing ben hunt to andrew johns, like how good he is and even goes on to say how much he looks like him... I hate it when people say that about up and coming players who are yet to make first grade... its pressure the player doesnt need.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Dexter said:
mick said:
Sharks without Gallen and Barrett makes things a little better, but this could really go either way. The forwards will hold their own, and that backline is QUICK so I think we're in with a shot...

They may be quick but I doubt they will see much ball. Henjack will have everyone going from half even more than normal.
He just seems to be repeating what we have done over the last few years, starting off with plenty of variation and width then for some reason we get uber conservative and dish up the bash and barge followed by dummy half running.

I agree with you, except I don't think the issue is just one of “width†as much as creating depth as well, so players have room to run and make an impact.

Maybe Hunt will deepen our attacking plays. I mean, even Bellamy has criticised Wallace for not doing this.

... And of course I hope we get rid of that flat bash'n'barge and constant dummy half running.

If we do, we can win this game well. Come to think of it, most games.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Bingo! When will the Broncos and some other teams realise that width is useless if you're all in a flat line! Flat attack only works in tight with runners hitting gaps off short passes.

Since none of the Broncos forwards seem capable of doing that, it's a useless idea.

We look our best when we get deep, use the trademark Kar-locky 2nd man play and have runners out wider running from the deep.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Coxy said:
Bingo! When will the Broncos and some other teams realise that width is useless if you're all in a flat line! Flat attack only works in tight with runners hitting gaps off short passes.

Since none of the Broncos forwards seem capable of doing that, it's a useless idea.

We look our best when we get deep, use the trademark Kar-locky 2nd man play and have runners out wider running from the deep.

Bingo indeed!

Which is why so many of our tries come from that play last year and this, and probably why we score most of our tries close to the opposition line using that play.

Now is the time to get depth all over the park. And use Te'o when we're flat: create a hole for him to run through, and have support following.

Maybe that also explains why Michaels's form has dropped? He always seems to get the ball with about a few metres of room to move before he gets swamped, and gets frustrated and tries so much dummy half running.

And much the same with Izzy. Imagine him steaming on the ball with some real room to move - and with support for a pass/offload?

Not everyone has Hodgo's ability to break the line with defenders nearly all over him 'cos he gets the ball with no room to move.

This IMO is one of Henjak's BIGGEST lessons to learn: have depth with width + plenty players running in support.

We can be almost unstoppable with running players coming from depth.

B

bob the Smasher

QCup Player
Mar 16, 2008
Not saying I disagree with what you are all saying, but scoring points doesn't appear to be too much of a problem, it's leaking them we have to worry about.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
I agree bob. Our attack is fine imo, we got 22 against a very good defensive side the bulldogs every time we got close almost. Our defence is what needs to be worked on big time. If we fix our defence we easily have good enough attack (especially with Hodgo back) to win the comp but defence atm is far from good enough.

I also think (don't maul me) that we're really missing Stagg, we really don't have any player atm who will play and tackle anything that moves like a Johnson, Hindmarsh type player who rack up 45+ tackles a game. The backrow are all attack focused we don't have a player who consistently cleans up in defense, Tony carroll is another player we're missing but he's retired but Stagg is still playing and had a contract with us this year but was let out so easily (as were some others but that's another discussion for another day).

Jeba

Jeba

International
Mar 4, 2008
broncospwn said:
I agree bob. Our attack is fine imo, we got 22 against a very good defensive side the bulldogs every time we got close almost.

Yeh, every time we got close. But the one of the biggest strengths the Broncos have possessed over the years is their ability to score long range tries. Hodges's return will help this but at the moment we are too reliant on penalties and mistakes to get us in good enough position to score tries.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
That is true and something I hadn't really noticed because I have generally seen our attack as good enough. Last year we were killing it with long range tries some awesome ones too, this year I can't remember many (stats anyone??). When we're in our side of the field the attack becomes very one demensional.

It might be just me but the way I see it Hodgo is the only player who tries to make things happen when there's nothing on, everyone else just seems to play like robots and go forward until we're close to the try line, Hodges try's to do things differently like tapping and running when we get a penalty to catch the opposition by surprise and running 5th tackle plays instead of kicking when him and lockyer are there. Hodges IMO is the only player in the team who is unpredictable and has the defence in two minds everyone else seems to just follow the script.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
broncospwn said:
That is true and something I hadn't really noticed because I have generally seen our attack as good enough. Last year we were killing it with long range tries some awesome ones too, this year I can't remember many (stats anyone??). When we're in our side of the field the attack becomes very one demensional.

It might be just me but the way I see it Hodgo is the only player who tries to make things happen when there's nothing on, everyone else just seems to play like robots and go forward until we're close to the try line, Hodges try's to do things differently like tapping and running when we get a penalty to catch the opposition by surprise and running 5th tackle plays instead of kicking when him and lockyer are there. Hodges IMO is the only player in the team who is unpredictable and has the defence in two minds everyone else seems to just follow the script.

Yeah - that's what I'm on about - far too few tries outside their red zone when we rely on THAT move.

As for Hodges, I still think we're missing the point. I don't think relying on one skilfull player being able to break the line solo is the issue.

For mine, it's a matter of combinations and plays involving play-makers creating space for our great running talent, too often wasted in flat formation and one-out running.

Active Now

• Brocko
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Jazza
  • Allo
  • Financeguy
  • Harry Sack
  • Totally Unr3al
  • Foordy
  • rj9
  • sooticus
  • LittleDavey
  • Rambstien
  • Shane Tronc
  • Seibs
  • Galah
  • Bish
  • Morkel
  • Browny
  • Strop
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.