Broncos Vs. Tigers - Match Thread

we didn't deserve to lose that game tonight. imo, the better team lost. they just looked gutted in the dressing rooms after the game tonight.

ethos said:
mr_camo said:
I know there is no point in arguing this now, but with the first kick off, i thought the tigers player took the ball with one foot in the field of play and then AFTER catching the ball put his back foot out. I thought it was obvious but it wasnt mentioned at all... Did anyone else see it?

Yes! I saw that too, totally forgot about it though. You're right, didn't hear peep out of the commentators and I thought it was pretty obvious on replay as well.

I thought exactly the same thing, and upon seeing the replay it was blatantly obvious he had one foot in mid-air whilst catching the ball [icon_ee [icon_thumbs_do

rnabokov said:
Bucking Beads said:
rnabokov said:
Why was Hunt taken off FFS

Because Ivan Henjak is an awesome coach and thinks Macca is our long term option at hooker.

Let's hope this is the lesson he needs to realize we don't need 2 hookers on the bench. In fact, Norman to 7 and Hunt to 9.

Macca offered nothing. Nice fumble though.
lol. What exactly about Norman's game tonight screams to you that he's deserving of the starting halfback spot?

So nevermind that Norman was equally poor, just drop Wallace because it's a surefire way for him to pick up his form. I like it...

On the bright side it's not as bad as that loss to Melbourne a couple of years ago...

Pretty awful way to lose a game. I thought we outdid them for enthusiasm but just couldn't score that try which would have given us a buffer. Would have been a handy game to win going into the bye. A tough few games to come that's for sure.

Gingerballs said:
So nevermind that Norman was equally poor, just drop Wallace because it's a surefire way for him to pick up his form. I like it...

Wallace was the senior player. What did you expect Norman to do?

ethos said:
Before their last try, I'd like to see that play the ball from Payten again. It looked ordinary.

Yep, he got at least 1m extra out of that. That close to the tryline, it could be the difference between a try and holding them up just short of the line. They haven't blown a penalty all season though, it's just cost a team a game so thanks Robert Finch.

And yeah, it was bloody obvious the Tigers player grounded his foot after he caught the ball from the kick off.

Payten just threw the ball between his legs. It was a fucked play the ball.

The really fantastic thing tonight showed was when our enthusiasm, passion and discipline in defence is firing, we make ANY team play like crap. Can't wait for the Big Three to return. Oh, and Hodgo too.

If we keep that defensive effort up, we can win this comp no shit.

Still fuming at getting drenched and losing like that in the last minute... :evil:

The farking Tigers never deserved that win, and we deserved even less to lose that way. [icon_non

We were unlucky at times, although we certainly seem to have our defensive problems sorted out and a dominating forward pack, but we definitely lacked a killer instinct, which is not really a suprise when you look at our back line of "teenagers".
Unfortunately Norman went MIA today, except for a few kicks and Macca was really hopelessly slow and continuously making the wrong decision. Most of the times that Wallace got the ball from him, the Tigers line had already made up most of the distance towards him...
Yes, he was the senior player in that backline, but there's no way he could have done better tonight with this Macca and this Norman around him! There was a noticeable difference when Hunt was on the field.

I believe Macca can be a fantastic hooker, but he needs to speed up and learn to make better decisions. Hunt is quickly catching up and probably does deserve a go at the 9.

Winterstein was much better tonight, good go forward, but still relatively poor under the high ball. Yow Yeh had that fumble and that ball he allowed to go over the side line from Marshall's kick, but damm, did he rattle McKinnon or what? [icon_ee

Good job on all the forwards, Parker, Tronc, Kenny, Te'o, Sims, Anderson and McGuire all bent the Tigers line backwards and were certainly the least deserving of this result.

All in all, still very optimistic in our future. With the Origin stars back and rested, no serious injuries and Hodgo also back, I dare now predict a top 4 finish and a very serious go at the premiership!

P.S. I have it from very good source that Wallace is also responsible for Global warming, famine in Africa and the eruption of the Eyjafjallajökull volcano in Iceland. :roll:

P.S. I have it from very good source that Wallace is also responsible for Global warming, famine in Africa and the eruption of the Eyjafjallajökull volcano in Iceland. :roll:

[eusa_clap.gi [eusa_clap.gi [eusa_clap.gi [eusa_clap.gi

Is something wrong with Gillett's leg? He's got some strappage going on, but he was walking/running weird. eusa_think

KrispyKris said:
Is something wrong with Gillett's leg? He's got some strappage going on, but he was walking/running weird. eusa_think

Had his leg strapped since that injury, hasn't he?

ningnangnong said:
KrispyKris said:

Had his leg strapped since that injury, hasn't he?

Nah. Wallace kicked him, after depleting the ozone layer.

Gutted.

We nearly got away with that game...but with Marshall and Farah you can never take the Tigers for granted. They can create anything at anytime and anywhere on the field. Sucks, but credit where it's due that's why they're both rep. players.

I thought our forwards and backs performed relatively well. Big wraps to Parker, Te'o, Hoffman and Winterstein for their efforts. Was pleased to see Antonio bounce back after a nervous performance last round. Also a big wrap to Beale. I don't know if he has what it takes to be a first grade player...he doesn't have the attributes I like in a centre but he showed plenty of ticker tonight and that run he made late in the second half was fantastic, a career highlight so far.

The problem with the Broncos tonight was their direction. Wallace, Norman, Macca/Hunt all let us down there. I want to retract a comment I made earlier about Macca being superior to Hunt. At the end of the day, they both didn't do their jobs properly and so I feel it's unjust to say one player was necessarily better than another.

Norman had a shocker. My driving instructor made a good point about shocking mistakes after a near miss during one of our lessons, you'll never forget them and will always remember how to avoid them in the future. Norman made a lot of mistakes tonight in just about every facet of Rugby League but he'll grow from it. Also UN, as much as Parker gave them field position, Norman was the one who came up with a terrible read on Lawrence to give him all the space in the world to power his way over.

Wallace, well I went into it. I don't think it's an attitude problem though, or at least one that should be ridiculed. He tried hard tonight, but he needs to fix a few areas of his game. Apart from trusting his natural instincts more, he needs to organise his plays better and give the Broncos more shape in attack.

Other notes
- Yow Yeh needs to learn how to read a game better. During that last try I couldn't believe he tried running in-field for a kick that was well covered by Hoffman instead of sticking to his wing where the Broncos were short. I don't think it made a huge difference, but a 1%er that could've made a difference.

- The wrong man was kept in the centres. Te'o looks far more comfortable out there than Gillett and I felt the best asset of his game was dismissed out wide, his ability to offload in traffic.

- Speaking of offloading, Tronc needs a course in when it's right and wrong to offload. Dude gave me a heart attack when he offloaded 10m out from our own try line on the first tackle as we just received the ball.

- Ironic result given I caught a similar game the other night from 2006. You might remember it, Round 15 vs. Dragons. Dragons were basically woeful all game aside and the Broncos were doing incredibly well to hang on after losing Lacey, Hannant and having all their Origin players back up after a huge win two nights before hand. In the end, Thaiday dropped the ball cold and Morris ended up taking a pin-point cross field kick from Head to score in the corner. Future-Bronco Gorrell kicked it from the sideline...and well...it sucked. I think the biggest reason why I find the parallel so relatable is the comments Gus Gould was making, eerily similar in tone in spite of the circumstances being different.

Mind you, Gus does seem to love the football gods.

By the by...who are the football gods?

Err...one last thought on the game. I was very proud of the boys commitment tonight, shame the result didn't go our way but loving the way they've fought back after such performances against the Chooks.

Last night reminded me of a game at Olympic park in the earlier part of the decade where we lost it on the final play of the game to a Storm try under the posts. Down on Origin troops and a brave effort but just not enough to get the chocolates.

Active Now

• Clintos
  • leon.bott
  • Financeguy
  • azza.79
  • Wolfie
  • Santa
  • ivanhungryjak
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • RolledOates
  • Dash
  • mrslong
  • bazza
  • MrMoore
  • Foordy
  • Sproj
  • Fatboy
  • Jeza23
  • Johnny92
  • Lurker
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.