Broncos Youth Players and Young Guns coming through.

I think the Broncos are to an extent. They've wrapped up all the gun kids and these are just another two on the production line for Brisbane. And it is a small satisfaction but I like that our club tries to develop their own even if it doesn't always work out.
I disagree, a lot of the 'guns' are with Canberra and the Gold Coast. Brisbane are still attracting some talent but nowhere near the quantity and quality of previous seasons.

If by their own you mean Kiwis and Gold Coast juniors, sure.

That's just the lay of the land and if the Broncos are hoping it's going to change they're going to fall further behind.

100%!!

If you’re pining for the 1950 and boundaries you’re kidding!

if there is a 15 year old half in Uganda I want the Broncos to find him. I couldn’t care less if he can’t even say Brisbane.

I disagree, a lot of the 'guns' are with Canberra and the Gold Coast. Brisbane are still attracting some talent but nowhere near the quantity and quality of previous seasons.

If by their own you mean Kiwis and Gold Coast juniors, sure.

I meant under this current regime, they haven't been in control long enough to know long term but in the short term, they've locked up Robati, Willison, Cobbo, Niu, etc. It is a good start. I don't count the previous regime, they got almost everything wrong.

I meant under this current regime, they haven't been in control long enough to know long term but in the short term, they've locked up Robati, Willison, Cobbo, Niu, etc. It is a good start. I don't count the previous regime, they got almost everything wrong.
It's still being felt in the juniors with a lot of prospects looking elsewhere.

I don't think it's going to time change and an overhaul for the Broncos to swing this around. With Brisbane II imminent they're really going to have to lift their game.

It's disappointing news and once again highlights the Broncos inability to hold onto quality junior prospects. It's not the end of the world but if the Broncos are going to turn things around it's getting these players to resist those offers from Sydney and to go through their system since it'll make them better footballers. Currently it appears the Broncos are second rate in that department.

With that said, I'm also going to chalk this up as the press chasing after those Broncos clicks. Are we seriously giving national press to a 15 and 17 year old who could never get a sniff of first grade? I like what I saw from Xavier Va'a but he hasn't taken the junior competition by storm and he has a long way to go.
Love your observation re: Giving national press to a 15 year old. What's doing with that shit?

It's still being felt in the juniors with a lot of prospects looking elsewhere.

I don't think it's going to time change and an overhaul for the Broncos to swing this around. With Brisbane II imminent they're really going to have to lift their game.
The club has no star power. In the coaching ranks, office, or team. I know many will push back at me saying that but when we have no current star players that the young guys are excited to be mentored by and we haven’t won a premiership since before most these kids were born, none of them would’ve ever seen the old boys play.

Roosters have Teddy, Crichton, Manu, Keary, JWH, the Morris twins and their old boys include Fitler, Mini, and SBW. Not to mention Bondi is far more attractive to a young fella than Brisbane - sorry but generally speaking it’s just true. On top of that they have great systems, a superstar coach, and massive chances of premierships.

Swop the names to Melbourne players and it’s the same story.

The club has no star power. In the coaching ranks, office, or team. I know many will push back at me saying that but when we have no current star players that the young guys are excited to be mentored by and we haven’t won a premiership since before most these kids were born, none of them would’ve ever seen the old boys play.

Roosters have Teddy, Crichton, Manu, Keary, JWH, the Morris twins and their old boys include Fitler, Mini, and SBW. Not to mention Bondi is far more attractive to a young fella than Brisbane - sorry but generally speaking it’s just true. On top of that they have great systems, a superstar coach, and massive chances of premierships.

Swop the names to Melbourne players and it’s the same story.

Its probably going to mean us paying overs, but i agree we need some star power. Probably a risky strategy what i'd do, but i'd be going all out for Smith and Manu. Younger players i reckon would want to come to a team with a spine of Manu, Reynolds and Smith. Throw in Staggs and Haas and i think we could work our way back to the top.

The other thing we lack any Aura in our coaching ranks. Bennett was massive for us in that regard. Even though its in Union, i still think Brad Thorn has that presence about him. Obviously, not in the same way as Bennett did, he demands respect.

Its probably going to mean us paying overs, but i agree we need some star power. Probably a risky strategy what i'd do, but i'd be going all out for Smith and Manu. Younger players i reckon would want to come to a team with a spine of Manu, Reynolds and Smith. Throw in Staggs and Haas and i think we could work our way back to the top.

The other thing we lack any Aura in our coaching ranks. Bennett was massive for us in that regard. Even though its in Union, i still think Brad Thorn has that presence about him. Obviously, not in the same way as Bennett did, he demands respect.
Agree 100% with all of it.

Would LOVE Thorn back, in any capacity. Champion player and a champion bloke.

Your defence of the storm is a joke. Why are they in the NRL? Honestly? What is their purpose? We could get more fans of rugby league by taking an origin there every 3 years. They were meant to grow the game IN MELBOURNE FFS. They have developed Jack shit down there. Even their feeder teams play out of bloody QLD. Its honestly disgusting. For all the bagging of Brisbane you do about them not being good for youth in QLD at least they spend the vast majority of their time, effort and money up here. Melbourne do not! In the last 30 years they have made more then 10 bloody gfs and they have developed how many NRL level players from Victoria. It is a joke.
This wasn't aimed at me , but it's an interesting point. But the thing about the storm is they don't don't recruit superstar juniors or superstar players, they polished a lot of rough diamonds to get to where they are today.

The Big 3 were pretty much unstoppable in their prime, but Slater played wing for Qld up until 2008, stuck behind K.Hunt, Matt Bowen and Schicofske(Hope I spelt that right) at Fullback. And Cronk couldn't get a look in ahead of Scott Prince when Lockyer was under pressure in 2006 or when he did his ACL in 2008. It could prove that Smith is the only one worthy of being an immortal, but that's a different argument.

Where as the Roosters have been buying the best players they could get their hands on for as long as I can remember. Fitler, Carney, Tedesco, Mason, Sonny Bill Williams and Cronk just to name a few.

I said it elsewhere, but I belive the Broncos should be looking at 2nd tier nation players for development, especially from a systematic point of view. It would take Bellamy's moneyball approach and mix it with the 90's Broncos rep level star-power, just without losing everybody to Origin.

It will take more time development wise but I believe it's better than signing every pontential superstar we can see, only to lose them due to trying to develop the last potential superstar. Similar to the Walsh/Isaako situation.

Coombabah SHS play in the school boy Walters Cup semi-final today with their fullback Lewis Symonds one of the Bronco's players on the field.

Magpies vs hunters today (featured mam, James, tass etc.). Hunters were very physical and aggressive and really targeted mam with their defence.

Mam had a bad drop that led to a try in the next set for the hunters (dubious try as I thought there was an obstruction). Both he and James struggle reading the second man fullback sweep play and led to tries on both sides.

James made two kicks that led to tries, the second try being a perfectly placed kick across field for the winger. He also has a decent long kick and found grass a few times, unfortunately he was unlucky and the ground was like concrete and the ball just continued to run and go dead.

I liked how mam roams around the field and turns up on both the left and right side and around the ruck at times. He and James linked up often. Mam was very quiet in the second half until he was involved in the match winning try. Got the ball by supporting a runner and then threw a walker like floating cut out pass to the winger (despite running the opposite direction).

Tass pretty solid.

Mozer on the bench for Australian Schoolboys and Mariner in the centres. Only two Broncos.

9 Queenslanders from the MMC.

Broncos 2
Penrith 2
Cowboys 2
Titans 3
Souths 1
Tigers 1
Raiders 1
No Club 6

Mozer on the bench for Australian Schoolboys and Mariner in the centres. Only two Broncos.

Broncos 2
Penrith 2
Cowboys 2
Titans 3
Souths 1
Tigers 1
Raiders 1
No Club 6
Will there be a stream? And when’s the game?

Broncos 2
Penrith 2
Cowboys 2
Titans 3
Souths 1
Tigers 1
Raiders 1
No Club 6
From the figures you post @1910 it is fairly easy to see which clubs are making an effort to develop our younger talent. Why am I not surprised there is not a single player from the Storm or the Roosters.

Active Now

• Stix
  • mystico
  • Lostboy
  • Mustafur
  • Broncosgirl
  • Lozza
  • GCBRONCO
  • Xzei
  • Tmac
  • Astro
  • Sproj
  • Behold
  • Canga
  • Allo
  • BroncosAlways
  • Broncorob
  • FACTHUNT
  • Aldo
  • Tim K
  • Foordy
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.