Cameron Smith to retire from Rep Footy - Immediately

Smith would have known last year if he could handle another Origin series.

To leave it until 3 weeks before an Origin, that's what ***** do.

It’s no different to Alf- month out, current captain and main player- pulls the pin in 1999.

If you don’t want to play you are doing a bigger disservice playing and being down on form or enthusiasm than pulling it up a month before a series. He’s earned the right to decide when he’s done and if he thought in October I’ll be right but now when it’s about to kick off again he knows it’s too hard then that’s fine.

Too much outrage on every issue.

It’s no different to Alf- month out, current captain and main player- pulls the pin in 1999.

If you don’t want to play you are doing a bigger disservice playing and being down on form or enthusiasm than pulling it up a month before a series. He’s earned the right to decide when he’s done and if he thought in October I’ll be right but now when it’s about to kick off again he knows it’s too hard then that’s fine.

It's very different. One of them is a cheat and deserves all the criticism he gets (Which isn't enough if you ask me).

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/st...a/news-story/21b3306a317e2015165b7117b3568e87

CAMERON Smith got the hint in the middle of the 2017 season that his days playing representative football were coming to an end.

Explaining his shock decision to retire from representative football today, the Queensland champion revealed how much of a toll last year’s Origin series and World Cup had taken on his body and his mind, saying that it “wouldn’t be fair” to put himself and his family through it again.
“Last year more than any other year the Origin series had an affect on me physically and mentally,” Smith said.

“I wasn’t able to back up (and play for the Storm in the following days) last year, maybe that was a sign right then that it was time for me to end my representative career.
“I don’t think that’s fair on myself, my family or my teammates at the Melbourne Storm to put myself through that again.
“This year and right now it’s the right time for me to finish up.”
Smith said the decision to hang up the maroon and the green and gold was an agonising one, which is why the timing of the announcement is just weeks out from the series opener.
“It’s been a fairly lengthy process for me to come to this decision. I started having small thoughts or some thoughts about finishing my rep career last year,” Smith confirmed.
Smith said time spent away from his family was also a key factor in his decision.

Having played 42 Origins and 56 Tests, Smith has spent a lot of time away from his wife Barbara and their children and with his eldest daughter approaching some important milestones he decided the time was right.
More to follow...

Thanks for the memories, Cam. Not the best look to do it this close to origin but what a player he has been for the state.

Does this mean that he's retiring from the Storm next year? Yippeee Yi Yo Ky Yay!

1. Ponga (Slater will retire I think and Ponga goal kicks)
2. Boyd
3. Inglis
4. Chambers
5. Gagai
6. Munster
7. Milford
8. Scott
9. McCullough
10. Napa
11. Cooper
12. Kaufusi
13. McGuire / Arrow

14. Morgan
15. Wallace
16. Hess
17. ??

It is still a good side, though certainly very beatable.

So he knew last year that he couldn’t do it again but waited until 3 weeks out to drop that bit of knowledge?

Yeah, I’ll maintain my outrage, thanks.

1. Ponga (Slater will retire I think and Ponga goal kicks)
2. Boyd
3. Inglis
4. Chambers
5. Gagai
6. Munster
7. Milford
8. Scott
9. McCullough
10. Napa
11. Cooper
12. Kaufusi
13. McGuire / Arrow

14. Morgan
15. Wallace
16. Hess
17. ??

It is still a good side, though certainly very beatable.

Munster can goal kick, not sure if anyone else can though lol. GI possibly? Milf (if he's picked)?

I would pick and start Papa at 13, he's been really good for the Raiders since moving there and has rep experience. Strengthens our middle by having McGuire and Scott up front and not having to lock in Napa who has been pretty shit this season outside of like 1-2 games. No way in hell would I have Cooper there on form and he's pretty much JT's minion in that he's trash without him. My backrow would be: 11. Hess, 12. Kaufusi, 13. Papa.

It sorta feels good how it's safe to just 100% hate him now that we can't support him in Origin. Until he hopefully becomes one of our coaches at least. Fingers crossed he actually does start to slow down quickly, **** Melbourne so much.

So he knew last year that he couldn’t do it again but waited until 3 weeks out to drop that bit of knowledge?

Yeah, I’ll maintain my outrage, thanks.

That's not even close to what I said.

Munster can kick goals and is not bad at it either

It sorta feels good how it's safe to just 100% hate him now that we can't support him in Origin. Until he hopefully becomes one of our coaches at least. Fingers crossed he actually does start to slow down quickly, **** Melbourne so much.

Yeah it does have a certain appeal to it

The Prickle Sacks are overjoyed with this news.

Unread

Active Now

• Shane Tronc
  • Strop
  • Mr Fourex
  • john1420
  • Harry Sack
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Foordy
  • Maroon4life
  • broncoscope
  • lynx000
  • Sproj
  • PETERN
  • Broncosgirl
  • Wolfie
  • Skyblues87
  • FACTHUNT
  • Xzei
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.