NEWS Carrigan Boozing While Injured

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Hang on, he was drinking on the night he got injured right? And a knee injury at that? Not the same knee as his last one but I am guessing he wouldn't have known the exact prognosis at that stage and possibly feared it could have been worse. I can forgive a guy for just wanting to chill and have a beer or two in those circumstances.
Patty has become a leader of the club. We have seen what years of cutting corners and not doing the 1%ers results in. Patty needed to step up and lead by example.

I’m not upset that he had a few beers. In fact I barely even care but to me it shows that Patty is also guilty of not holding himself to the highest standard and if even he’s not doing it then who is.

I really wish the club went after Dale Funicane. He would show the young guys a thing or 2 about standards.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
Easy to down play it because in the grand scheme of things it’s nothing but any good coach will tell you cutting corners off the field directly reflects your performance on it. It’s like pulling up a few inches short of the line in a drill - who cares right? A good coach makes you do it again.

Like Benji said about Milf - if everyone does 10 reps Milford will do 8.

It’s the principal. If the rule was don’t wear a hat while injured then don’t wear a hat. These are the fine details that create a winning culture regardless of the little to no long term impact “3 beers” would have on recovery.

I’m not even questioning Patty’s professionalism but if he can have 3 beers while injured than so can a guy like Staggs.

Staggs was a totally different story. He was well into his rehab, he was out partying, and he was totally off his face and got himself into bad situations of his own doing on 2 separate occasions. And he did this while well into rehab both times. And i can tell you i know he was drinking fairly heavily quite a lot on other occasions where nothing happened.

Pats had 2 or 3 beers before he even knew the extent of his injury and in the scheme of things, its not going to make any difference to his rehab. He's just got to suck it up and take his medicine because its not in question he has broken the rules. I totally agree that he needs to be pulled in line and reminded of his responsibilities. Its not a good look, but its being made into a huge drama because of people like Payne Haas and Kotoni Staggs who have repeatedly dragged this clubs name through the mud.

This is actually turning hilarious, and its not just because i like Pat ( and most of that is tongue in cheek ). If this is a major issue, then our serial offenders should have been sacked long ago.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Patty has become a leader of the club. We have seen what years of cutting corners and not doing the 1%ers results in. Patty needed to step up and lead by example.

I’m not upset that he had a few beers. In fact I barely even care but to me it shows that Patty is also guilty of not holding himself to the highest standard and if even he’s not doing it then who is.

I get it. I am just saying that the circumstances to me make it understandable, doesn't mean there shouldn't be some acknowledgement that he has done the wrong thing. I am just saying that I am sure Patty is probably disappointed with himself as well and nothing more really should come of this than already has. It isn't like Patty is a serial offender either.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Staggs was a totally different story. He was well into his rehab, he was out partying, and he was totally off his face and got himself into bad situations of his own doing on 2 separate occasions. And he did this while well into rehab both times. And i can tell you i know he was drinking fairly heavily quite a lot on other occasions where nothing happened.

Pats had 2 or 3 beers before he even knew the extent of his injury and in the scheme of things, its not going to make any difference to his rehab. He's just got to suck it up and take his medicine because its not in question he has broken the rules. I totally agree that he needs to be pulled in line and reminded of his responsibilities. Its not a good look, but its being made into a huge drama because of people like Payne Haas and Kotoni Staggs who have repeatedly dragged this clubs name through the mud.

This is actually turning hilarious, and its not just because i like Pat ( and most of that is tongue in cheek ). If this is a major issue, then our serial offenders should have been sacked long ago.
You missed my point I think and that may be my fault. I wasn’t comparing Staggs and Patty’s incidents.

Im saying if a guy who usually has high standards like Patty breaks club rules then what chance do we have of keeping an ill disciplined player like Staggs in line. Someone at the club needs to set the standard for which the grubs at the club are held to and if it’s not Patty I don’t know who it is. Capewell on his own I guess?

I’m not having a go at Patty, especially when compared to others, but the rest of the club is in trouble if even Patty can’t follow the rules.

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013

I really wish the club went after Dale Funicane. He would show the young guys a thing or 2 about standards.
yeah it's disappointing that he wasn't professional about this, he needs to do all the little things right if he wants to be a leader.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
Me either, I have sympathy for the guy. But team rules are no drinking when injured. He could have stopped at the bottle-o on the way home, but went to the pub instead.

Rules have got to be black and white, not grey, as @theshed said a few comments up. Particularly from one of the leadership group at the club - he more than anyone should be following the rules to the letter.

I'm not angry at him, I'm just disappointed...

It is disappointing. We will see though in his rehabilitation if this is just a storm in a teacup or if we have some major issues to worry about.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
It's a nothing incident and has been deliberately released as "news worthy" by the Broncos to redirect from the Haas / Kelly situation. It's effectively a very minor, in-house issue that will be dealt with internally, but so should the Haas / Kelly incident. It's the Broncos way of saying "these small incidents happen all the time, if one of them is news-worthy, then they all are, so here's more bullshit for you scum to feed over".

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
You missed my point I think and that may be my fault. I wasn’t comparing Staggs and Patty’s incidents.

Im saying if a guy who usually has high standards like Patty breaks club rules then what chance do we have of keeping an ill disciplined player like Staggs in line. Someone at the club needs to set the standard for which the grubs at the club are held to and if it’s not Patty I don’t know it is. Capewell on his own I guess?

I’m not having a go at Patty, especially when compared to others, but the rest of the club is in trouble if even Patty can’t follow the rules.
But you were saying if Pat can have a few beers then so can Kotoni, but Kotoni had way more than a few, and then got into trouble.

I'm just not seeing yet that his standards have dropped. I think there is a difference between a mistake and ill discipline. Carrigan has made a mistake by slipping up and having a couple of beers. The likes of Staggs and Haas have shown ill discipline by repeatedly being grubs. Thats where i see the big difference.

Even good leaders slip up every now and again. In the scheme if things, if its an isolated incident of him breaking club rules, then this is probably not even as bad as a player who is constantly late for training. You mention Capewell, and he put himself in a bad situation but its never been an ongoing drama with him, he just made an error in judgement and thats fine. We all do it from time to time. Its what you learn from it that counts.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
But you were saying if Pat can have a few beers then so can Kotoni, but Kotoni had way more than a few, and then got into trouble.

I'm just not seeing yet that his standards have dropped. I think there is a difference between a mistake and ill discipline. Carrigan has made a mistake by slipping up and having a couple of beers. The likes of Staggs and Haas have shown ill discipline by repeatedly being grubs. Thats where i see the big difference.

Even good leaders slip up every now and again. In the scheme if things, if its an isolated incident of him breaking club rules, then this is probably not even as bad as a player who is constantly late for training. You mention Capewell, and he put himself in a bad situation but its never been an ongoing drama with him, he just made an error in judgement and thats fine. We all do it from time to time. Its what you learn from it that counts.

I think he’s saying you have to have a black and white rule of no drinking because not everyone will have two like Carrigan. The Staggs of the world will have 22.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
I think he’s saying you have to have a black and white rule of no drinking because not everyone will have two like Carrigan. The Staggs of the world will have 22.

I get what he is saying and i agree with him. You have to stick by the rules. The rules absolutely have to be black and white, even though i still think there should be varying levels of discipline for each individual incident.

I just dont think its fair to compare the actual incidents with what Staggs did. If it was just Kotoni drinking, even excessively then possibly, but we all know it was more than that with Staggs.

Scorchie

Scorchie

NRL Captain
Contributor
Mar 16, 2008

It was clear from the footage on the game and how he felt that it was highly probable, I'd say 95%+ likely, he'd done a ligament.

To say he "didnt know the extent" is a bit laughable, even from his biggest fan.

But, if the rules are no alcohol whilst injured, I guess the club expects players to follow them. In return for those rules, the club pays them eye watering salaries.

Equally, it's all laughable that this is even a thing and it even made the news. But, losing breeds people clicking on bad news and here we are.

Active Now

• The Strapper
  • GCBRONCO
  • BroncosAlways
  • phoenix
  • bazza
  • Cavalo
  • Broncorob
  • davidp
  • Fatboy
  • Bucking Beads
  • kman
  • Galah
  • ChewThePhatt
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.