chequebook is open. potential playmakers

How does one define organisation in Rugby League?

Seems like a compliment that's used to pad a halfbacks credentials these days. Knew it was a problem when Wallace started receiving praise in that deparment.

Wait, so then tell me why you are happy to keep him around for? It's obvious he doesn't offer anything else, so I assume you'd have to think that he's just a complete nuffie.

I'm not.

I didn't think he deserved the bulk of the blame for Saturday's performance (especially between both halves) but by the same token given his pay cheque I'd rather cut him loose, develop Hunt or push Riccardi and sign a talent like Johnson or a young up and comer.

Last edited:
If you don't think he can organise, and his attack and creativity is obviously just balls, why shouldn't he be getting a lot of the blame? He is doing nothing that his position requires.

I've already explained this...

I thought a lot of his 5th tackle kicks close to the line were fantastic and allowed us to build pressure despite being dominated in the ruck.

A large reason the Roosters had to defend 120 more tackles we did is because of Wallace.

It's more than you can say for any half on the field.

Last edited:
With the broncos current defeciencies somebof the blame must be put on wallace's playmaking and organization. He's under contract though so I believe we should take advantage of his short kicking game and get a half that can threaten the line, make plays and organize. This is something prince used to do. One of our current team issues is that we have no speed in our pack and no one can jump. Meaning we can't take advantage of a short kicking game.

Good to know that we'll probably get Dugan and still be chasing another half for next year. That makes me think we haven't completely fucked up our salary cap management. Next year with Dugan and if we can manage a quality half, should be far better than this year.

If I had an open chequebook and control of the club:

1. We need another big forward signing IMO (notwithstanding our current pack). Someone like Keith Galloway is off contract for 2014. Big Red, Polar Bear and the Big Show carving up the middle. Keep Thaiday and Gillett on the fringes. Parker isn't getting any younger, groom Glenn as long term Lock replacement. Timu, Hala or Molo to be the 20 minute impact prop we desparately need.

That would be a great bench - Wallace, <impact>, Galloway, Parker.

2. Wallace to 14. He's currently running the side. Like a stagnant but hard working CEO - sometimes you need a change so the young up and comers can take a few risks. Wallace is a much better utility. Hunt to 7. Give him a season or two there. Let Macca and Hunt control the team.

3. Roll the dice on Dugan. He has the ability. Canberra is obviously poison for him. My gut tells me the Broncos will be his version of Carney's Roosters. I wouldn't let Dugan be a walk up start. He'll have to earn it through QCup form over Hoffman.

its funny, i remember having a quite heated argument on here with a former regular over his opinion that a halfback wasnt a playmaker position lol. said a halfbacks job was just to organise the team, not to create any attacking opportunities himself lol. guess thats why he hasnt really been posting around here the last few years haha.

a ball playing second rower would be great for our team IMO. id also like us to get another prop. McGuire has one prop spot sewn up, but hannant is just blegh IMO. never really rated him, think hes one of the most overrated players in the game. if it was up to me thaiday would be given the move along order too, and someone like mateo, teo or taylor would have the chequebook thrown at them. we certainly bet on the wrong horse by keeping thaiday and gillett and letting taylor and teo go.

I agree completely with Gillett AP. Would loved to have kept Teo and got rid of Gillett. Back then though Teo had a lot of games where he went missing as well. No where need as bad as Gillett. We've seen from that one good year where Gillett carved it up so I guess we kept hoping that was going to continue. With Taylor, sure he can be way more dangerous than Thaiday, but I am not convinced he would be any better at the moment, certainly hasn't shown a hell of a lot except from a few good games. I don't rate either of them on current form. I think the same thing goes with Thaiday, he had that one blinding year and we thought, this is great lets keep him. Then when he signed he was like, ahhhh now I can go back to eating meat pies and cream buns and not put in the effort. He has been average at best and at his worst damn near embarrassing. We know what Thaiday and Gillett can do, wish they would start performing again. But this is the same freaking story with a lot of our players isn't it. One good year, sign them up on higher pay packet and then never ever see that level or performance again. Look at Reed, Macca, Hannant, Wallace, Hoffman. Probably all on good contracts and not performing anywhere near what they should be. This team has so many duds who just didn't aim up like they should've. With the exception of Wallace, I think the others were fair mistakes. What needs to happen from the coaching point of view is to get them back to their best. Despite Wallace being very average I still can't help but like him. I think it's the amount of heart and toughness he shows. Damn he would be a good replacement for Macca, send Macca to the bench.

We don't need a ball playing forward. We've got a few blokes capable of playing that role but that's not what the coach wants.

norman wasnt 'meant' to be playing fullback though.

he was just squeezed there because prince beat him in the race to partner mr fantastic

but were we going to sign dugan regardless of norman? i would like to think so...

Last edited:
And 3, 4, 9, 13, a whole new bench and coach and recruitment manager and new scouts and new colours and new mascot and new cheerleaders and a new venue and a new city.

I agree completely with Gillett AP. Would loved to have kept Teo and got rid of Gillett. Back then though Teo had a lot of games where he went missing as well. No where need as bad as Gillett. We've seen from that one good year where Gillett carved it up so I guess we kept hoping that was going to continue. With Taylor, sure he can be way more dangerous than Thaiday, but I am not convinced he would be any better at the moment, certainly hasn't shown a hell of a lot except from a few good games. I don't rate either of them on current form. I think the same thing goes with Thaiday, he had that one blinding year and we thought, this is great lets keep him. Then when he signed he was like, ahhhh now I can go back to eating meat pies and cream buns and not put in the effort. He has been average at best and at his worst damn near embarrassing. We know what Thaiday and Gillett can do, wish they would start performing again. But this is the same freaking story with a lot of our players isn't it. One good year, sign them up on higher pay packet and then never ever see that level or performance again. Look at Reed, Macca, Hannant, Wallace, Hoffman. Probably all on good contracts and not performing anywhere near what they should be. This team has so many duds who just didn't aim up like they should've. With the exception of Wallace, I think the others were fair mistakes. What needs to happen from the coaching point of view is to get them back to their best. Despite Wallace being very average I still can't help but like him. I think it's the amount of heart and toughness he shows. Damn he would be a good replacement for Macca, send Macca to the bench.

Get rid of Gillett! What lunacy!. Might as well get rid of anybody - they are all as lost sheep as the other.

Gillett's best year was when he had Lockyer giving him room and good ball. Since then, like others have posted, Gillett, Glenn and others get the ball with the defence already in their face.

T'eo? I still can't believe he was let go.

Nevertheless, I am frankly sick of bagging players who looked good when they were set up by good play makers to do their stuff, yet blamed for the lack of good play makers

This about a bloody team and its functioning as one, as a unit, and not focusing on a bunch of individuals hoping for miracles when we have no one, no leader, no organizer to make a team a team on the field where it matters

Last edited:
Both Gillett and Reed have had 1 good year, their first. Both have been ordinary ever since.

Both Gillett and Reed have had 1 good year, their first. Both have been ordinary ever since.

Gillett was average the end of last year, was great at the start of the year and has been great with what he has to work with this year.

I'm all for bagging players that aren't performing like reed etc. but it would be nice to keep some perspective

My point is that most players have been inconsistent if not ordinary minus a star play maker and leader and organizer like Lockyer. I just don't get why people look at the individual in isolation from the team that he is part of, and which determines how and where he plays.

Ours sucks 'cos there is no leader, no organizer and no quality let alone star play maker

Active Now

• Tim K
  • something
  • Fozz
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • FACTHUNT
  • Wendall Taylor
  • Waynesaurus
  • Astro
  • I bleed Maroon
  • The Don
  • Financeguy
  • Foordy
  • Aldo
  • Bucking Beads
  • bb_gun
  • Fitzy
  • Morkel
  • broncsgoat
  • Manifesto
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.