Cobbo: “I think he’s a nice guy but not a good coach”

How long does Kebbie have to prove he's more than just a good friend?

• It's over now

Votes: 9 10.2%
  • The trials

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • First 6 weeks

Votes: 17 19.3%
  • Week 13

Votes: 15 17.0%
  • When it's clear we're not making the finals

Votes: 32 36.4%
  • His contract review

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • As long as he needs to rebuild the club

Votes: 3 3.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
The funny thing is Cobbo has only had one first grade coach, how would he even know if Kevvie is a bad coach anyway?
Not that I am saying Kev is a good coach but given what is coming to light about Cobbo I would imagine what he thinks is a good coach is the ones he has had in the lower grades that just tell him how amazing he is. He doesn't sound like the kind of guy that would thrive on constructive criticism.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
my comment was in reply to McHunt calling it a dick move if smith left Leeds mid contract to coach us .

I know I was explaining why it's not ruthless, he can ask for a release the same way he asked Norths.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Bennett and Seibold got released to join Broncos.
Ah, what the heck. Let's release Payne Haas, Deine Mariner, Keenan Palasia and Karl Oloapu. Everyone does it. No hard feelings.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Rohan Smith is the Head Coach of the Leeds Rhinos, a top tier Super League team. He can't just piss off because the Brisbane Broncos fans have a swollen sense of entitlement.
Oh I thought we were talking about assistant roles

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
I agree: not the same calibre at all. The QCup is a Mickey Mouse semi professional reserve grade comp. Super League pays big money.
So you do pick and choose when a contract is a contract then?

FaceOfMutiny

FaceOfMutiny

QCup Player
Nov 7, 2013
Send him to Qcup and put Arthurs on his wing until he pulls his head in

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
I know I was explaining why it's not ruthless, he can ask for a release the same way he asked Norths.
He's free to ask. But it's incredibly entitled to presume they'd happily agree, especially if it means downing tools mid season and making them find a replacement.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
Ah, what the heck. Let's release Payne Haas, Deine Mariner, Keenan Palasia and Karl Oloapu. Everyone does it. No hard feelings.

Classic- none of those players are asking for releases to play in a higher standard of competition. Smith would be asking to go home and coach in the NRL something he's always wanted to do. Just like Norths said of course you can go coach at a higher level- I would expect Leeds to do the same thing if a coach said I can get an NRL head role.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
He's free to ask. But it's incredibly entitled to presume they'd happily agree, especially if it means downing tools mid season and making them find a replacement.

LIke they expected Norths to.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
So you do pick and choose when a contract is a contract then?
I'm not the one arguing a QCUP coach should quit mid contract just because he got a better offer. The conversation that happened between Smith and Norths would be a bit more detailed than that.

Kaz

Kaz

State of Origin Captain
Mar 5, 2008
Give him some slack, maybe he is traumatised because when he was a kid, he didn't receive a participation award. Lets 🙏 for the entitled prick. 😆

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Classic- none of those players are asking for releases to play in a higher standard of competition. Smith would be asking to go home and coach in the NRL something he's always wanted to do. Just like Norths said of course you can go coach at a higher level- I would expect Leeds to do the same thing if a coach said I can get an NRL head role.
Yes, of course you can **** us over, leave us up shit creek so you can join a rival competition. This is all about you. We're nobody. Don't even think of your promises to us. No, that's not a dick move at all.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
Sounds like Cobbo's head is all over the shop.

He's got athletic gifts, but it doesn't seem like he wants to be a professional athlete.... like he's playing footy because he has to rather than wanting to... or he likes playing footy, but doesn't really want it to be his whole life.

The club really need to find him a mentor and get his headspace right.

Does he have a real sounding board to talk to... like Renouf says he does stuff, but is that more focussed on the footy side rather than the professional side.

Maybe someone like Hodgo who is a more modern player and was rash as a kid but ended up a leader at the Broncos.

NRL Captain
Contributor
Sep 22, 2016

He's got athletic gifts, but he doesn't seem to want to be a professional athlete.... like he's playing footy because he has to rather than wanting to... or he likes playing footy, but doesnt really want it to be his whole life.

Does he have a real sounding board to talk to... like Renouf says he does stuff, but is that more focussed on the footy side rather than the professional side.

Maybe someone like Hodgo who was rash as a kid but ended up a leader at the Broncos.

WB, Bellamy and Robinson are masters of man management in these situations.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
The funny thing is Cobbo has only had one first grade coach, how would he even know if Kevvie is a bad coach anyway?
I don't think anyone's appointed him the coach rater, but he's been coached by Kevvie, so he's entitled to his opinion. Give him that much.

He might merely be echoing what other players are saying in the dressing room. Maybe when he stopped to reflect he was thinking about what everyone else thinks, and giving a metareview.

Or maybe all the other players rave about Kevvie and he thinks they overrate him. I guess this is the context we're missing.

The issue everyone has is that he's made it public and created tension between himself and the coach, and made himself look like a drongo in the process. He burst his own bubble.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018

He's got athletic gifts, but it doesn't seem like he wants to be a professional athlete.... like he's playing footy because he has to rather than wanting to... or he likes playing footy, but doesn't really want it to be his whole life.

Maybe someone like Hodgo who is a more modern player and was rash as a kid but ended up a leader at the Broncos.
He does have mentors, and Renouf is one. Which makes his comments about Kevvie even more surprising. Maybe Renouf has been in his ear how wonderful Kevvie is but Selwyn doesn't see it. Or maybe this is what his mentor says.

All speculation.

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
this is how it goes with kids , especially these days they seem to have a sense of entitlement.
however I think instead of punishment you have to nurture and develop them, send him out to do some hard labour work get his hands dirty, show him what it's like on the otherside. put people around him that have had similar traits and have pulled there heads in and been successful (hodges , renouf) .
the easy option is to punt him to qcup and tell him he needs to pull his head but that just doesn't work in most cases , definitely make him work for it but support the kid aswell.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
WB, Bellamy and Robinson are masters of man management in these situations.
Yeah this is where a WB would come out and defend his player, put his arm around him and have an honest chat about what he wants.

I think bringing out the whip and punishing him just sends him further away from where he needs to be.

If it's not Kev that can do it... although I think he can, but may not get a correct response... then maybe Ikin can be the man to put his arm around him.

He has a good quality of contextualizing things and being able to relate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• GCBRONCO
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.