Cobbo: “I think he’s a nice guy but not a good coach”

How long does Kebbie have to prove he's more than just a good friend?

• It's over now

Votes: 9 10.2%
  • The trials

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • First 6 weeks

Votes: 17 19.3%
  • Week 13

Votes: 15 17.0%
  • When it's clear we're not making the finals

Votes: 32 36.4%
  • His contract review

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • As long as he needs to rebuild the club

Votes: 3 3.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014
Yeah look, Selwyn.

One thing to say the coach is a shit coach and all that, you can probably get away with that. However to ditch your mates, yeah nah.

N

nopatience101

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
He’s a kid, kids are stupid and do stupid things, that’s how they learn not to do stupid things again. If he walks out on another game then yeah, sure, crucifiy his character, but until then I think we should appreciate how young & naive he still is.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Well Leeds can; they can hold him to his deal which is why you don't go in there with no pants on saying you're a big deal.

They took a risk on you when you were a nuffy ISC coach that no one had heard of before.

Leeds treated Smith and Norths with respect and Norths responded, I would hope Leeds would do the same thing if a coach wanted to go home.

Of course they can try and hold him to his deal but they don't have any benefit in doing so and if it did get ugly and went to the courts, Smith and the Broncs would just need to bring out the ol' restraint of trade / homesickness line, etc.

But again, both obviously and of course, neither the Broncs or Smith are going to go in there with that attitude as it is incredibly unprofessional and rude and it wouldn't come to that because both clubs would nut out an amicable, professional and workable solution for all parties.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
You can just hope one day he just says- didn't know who Norths were or Smith and have no clue.

Like when he argued New Zealand and Samoa were the same country. You've just got to let him roll.
Yeah man, I'm sure you saw me say that. When you were off your meds.

BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014
When Kevvie leaves it needs to be handled well and I believe it will be. For mine his time is up when his contract is up. DD will need to do it in a way that Kevvie feels respected and for mine I would be moving him into another role in the business, we can't afford another fallout with the old boys. Essentially you need a situation where Kevvie is fully onboard and Gordie and the other dickheads can crow about what a great job he did and how the time is right. The club needs to be searching for the next coach now and the official line needs to be that Kevvie came in here with the express duty to unite a club that was torn apart and put some of the 'Bronco' back into the building. Having achieved that he will be moving into bah blah blah...

If he gets his opportunity 3rd year in with a roster he assembled and the team isn't moving in the right direction, it would almost be an agreement by all involved that it's the best thing for the club.

I know the club was a mess when he took over but there's still a bit of crap going on and as a fan, I thought we were past that.

BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014
He’s a kid, kids are stupid and do stupid things, that’s how they learn not to do stupid things again. If he walks out on another game then yeah, sure, crucifiy his character, but until then I think we should appreciate how young & naive he still is.

The big thing is, would he emotionally disconnect in a game situation if we were getting flogged?

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Hopefully he learns from all this backlash and tries to mature a bit or otherwise, he might go find Haas's manager and do something even more stupid.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Or he could honor his own word.

Yep, the biggest club in the world comes knocking and you are going to say, hmmm nope, English winter is the best, I'm staying.

But again, he might well do that and then the Broncs back off, they obviously aren't going to go after a coach who doesn't want to come.

This is all hypothetical anyway.

Mister Wright

Mister Wright

NRL Captain
Jun 8, 2009
You gotta love they always use, my comments were taken out of context.

Seriously we aren't complete morons, just own what you said.

We would have to have the dumbest players in the NRL.
Go on Facebook and have a look at the ‘fans’ who believe the out of context crap and labelling it all a media conspiracy/agenda and Cobbo has apologised and we should give the kid a break. 🤦‍♂️

N

nopatience101

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
The big thing is, would he emotionally disconnect in a game situation if we were getting flogged?
He’s only had one season, so I guess we will find out, like any younger player.

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
100% Dolphins would be sniffing around & making inquiries.
With the attitude he's displayed at times, they're welcome to him. One thing we are hardly lacking right now is backs, which makes his flippant behavior even stupider.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Yep, the biggest club in the world comes knocking and you are going to say, hmmm nope, English winter is the best, I'm staying.

But again, he might well do that and then the Broncs back off, they obviously aren't going to go after a coach who doesn't want to come.

This is all hypothetical anyway.
Look, I don't disagree that the Broncos might be able to lure him away and break his word with Leeds, but my original comment that it would be a "dick move" stands. Unless they're able to arrange a like for like swap. Like they did with Bennett and Seibold. Maybe with Walters. Fine.

There's an obnoxious sense of entitlement on display here that the Broncos should be able to cherry pick the eyes out of every other club/organization, to hell with contracts and they should come at a discount. I see it all the time, coupled with outrage when other clubs want to talk to our players, even ones, like Herbie, who are coming off contract.

On top of that, unlike the QCup, the Super League is not a feeder comp to the NRL. It's a rival, at the same level, regardless whether we think it's inferior.

The NRL rides roughshot all over the QCup, using it as a dumping ground for discards. There is no stability in that competition, and none of us care, because apart from one notable poster, none of us give a shit about it other than to scan it for up and coming players we can elevate. It's on par with the Russian Front. We send players there for punishment.

BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014
I got an issue with this idea that we're the biggest club in the world, we're not. Big financially, yes. However that means nothing in a salary cap competition.

We haven't been relevant for half a dozen years.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Go on Facebook and have a look at the ‘fans’ who believe the out of context crap and labelling it all a media conspiracy/agenda and Cobbo has apologised and we should give the kid a break. 🤦‍♂️
Haven't looked at FB, but everywhere else I've only seen the opposite. No one bought it. What's common is it began with outrage at Cobbo, drifted into denial, and settled on an acceptance that regardless of what a knob he made of himself, he was merely affirming what most were thinking.

BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014
Look, I don't disagree that the Broncos might be able to lure him away and break his word with Leeds, but my original comment that it would be a "dick move" stands. Unless they're able to arrange a like for like swap. Like they did with Bennett and Seibold. Maybe with Walters. Fine.

There's an obnoxious sense of entitlement on display here that the Broncos should be able to cherry pick the eyes out of every other club/organization, to hell with contracts and they should come at a discount. I see it all the time, coupled with outrage when other clubs want to talk to our players, even ones, like Herbie, who are coming off contract.

On top of that, unlike the QCup, the Super League is not a feeder comp to the NRL. It's a rival, at the same level, regardless whether we think it's inferior.

The NRL rides roughshot all over the QCup, using it as a dumping ground for discards. There is no stability in that competition, and none of us care, because apart from one notable poster, none of us give a shit about it other than to scan it for up and coming players we can elevate.

There is a lot of entitlement from the fans particularly, you don't come to be a fan of a club like the Brisbane Broncos who were very dominant for all those years way back when without having a sense of entitlement.

We're no longer better than everyone else, we're another one of those clubs scratching and clawing to make it and win a premiership. We have an incredible talent pool but really that's all we've got going for us over some of the teams in the congested Sydney areas fighting for talent. Even that in recent years is being taken away from us with other clubs realising QLD is a great place to try and get a few players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Foordy
  • TimWhatley
  • Swordfish
  • Cavalo
  • Emanon
  • BroncosAlways
  • Aldo
  • johnny plath
  • Broncorob
  • Lostboy
  • mitch222
  • MrMoore
  • winslow_wong
  • GCBRONCO
  • dasherhalo
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.