Cobbo: “I think he’s a nice guy but not a good coach”

How long does Kebbie have to prove he's more than just a good friend?

• It's over now

Votes: 9 10.2%
  • The trials

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • First 6 weeks

Votes: 17 19.3%
  • Week 13

Votes: 15 17.0%
  • When it's clear we're not making the finals

Votes: 32 36.4%
  • His contract review

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • As long as he needs to rebuild the club

Votes: 3 3.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
WB, Bellamy and Robinson are masters of man management in these situations.
So if Kevvie is indeed a "great bloke" but "not a head coach" and not a "master of man management" what role would better suit him at the club?

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
...and we're basing that he's not a "head coach" on Selwyn's assessment are we?

Righto....... :rofl

B

BRC088

QCup Player
Feb 7, 2012
He's got athletic gifts, but it doesn't seem like he wants to be a professional athlete.... like he's playing footy because he has to rather than wanting to... or he likes playing footy, but doesn't really want it to be his whole life.

Story of my life, I see sooo many gifted kids who just quite because they don't want to do it. I reckon I could build an Australian swim team that would rival or even beat the current squad from kids who give up. Even back in my day, I played cricket, I'd constantly out pace the big name players of the day at club level, but I went to the wrong school and couldn't get around to all the carnivals, my parents could barely afford my uniform and playing gear, was never looked at - add insult to injury I was invited to a net session to bowl at these clowns and hardly anyone wanted to face up. I was one, there are hundreds out there like this. The system of you must go to this school or you won't even be considered etc does my head in.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Obviously, if the Broncos went, hey we want Smith, they would negotiate with Leeds and sorry @McHunt, we are the biggest club in the world, if we want him, Leeds can't do anything to keep him and even if they tried, it isn't in their best interests to do so. If they drag it out, how are they going to attract another high calibre coach?

Even so, I am sure the Broncos would be civil about it and it would be as amicable as possible, likely deferring starting until '23 so Smith can finish out the year and a replacement can be found to make a smoother transition. Even if Kevvie was sacked in the mean time, the Broncs would just use an interim like the good ol' gentle man we had post-Seibold.

NRL Captain
Contributor
Sep 22, 2016
So if Kevvie is indeed a "great bloke" but "not a head coach" and not a "master of man management" what role would better suit him at the club?
I dont think "a great bloke" comes into it tbh nor does Cobbos opinion. He has had 24 months to get up to speed and learn. There will no doubt be some hangover from him learning and adapting - but the results this season will answer if hes a good coach or man manager. In some ways the start of this season could be his hardest to date - Haas/Robati/Cobbo stuff is a huge distraction combined with pressure because of last years poor result.

Financeguy

Financeguy

NRL Player
Apr 24, 2013
I fear Cobbo is going to end up a lot more Owen Craigie than Greg Inglis as the future years pan out.

Personally alarm bells went off last year when he sat out whichever game it was when we were on a massive downward plunge and needed all hands on deck. I kept quiet as i know mental illness/stress is a real and sensitive topic but remember thinking the elites of the game such as Lockyer/Inglis/Thurston etc would thrive in that situation whereas players who don't have 'it' would be finding ways to avoid being part of the losing streak...

His comments about sneaking off at half time because the team were getting flogged is worse than any comments about Kev imo. That shows such a piss weak character and if i was one of his team mates why the **** would i bother bleeding and hurting for Cobbo when he cant even bother to watch his team play to the end.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
There is dumb and then there is Cobbo.

Imagine how his team mates would feel finding out that he abandoned them

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008
yeah I can forgive the comments about kev but walking out is piss weak. abandoning your team mates. that's a huge red flag on his character - can he be relied on when going gets tough?

Kaz

Kaz

State of Origin Captain
Mar 5, 2008

Person who saves the cans etc so they can collect the 10 cents per bottle, can etc, for the club.

Like this.

Attachments

• ezgif-4-97c66d44a5.jpg
    ezgif-4-97c66d44a5.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 31
McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Obviously, if the Broncos went, hey we want Smith, they would negotiate with Leeds and sorry @McHunt, we are the biggest club in the world, if we want him, Leeds can't do anything to keep him and even if they tried, it isn't in their best interests to do so. If they drag it out, how are they going to attract another high calibre coach?

Even so, I am sure the Broncos would be civil about it and it would be as amicable as possible, likely deferring starting until '23 so Smith can finish out the year and a replacement can be found to make a smoother transition. Even if Kevvie was sacked in the mean time, the Broncs would just use an interim like the good ol' gentle man we had post-Seibold.
Wow, talk about entitled. Now do the Roosters and Storm and make it about Payne Haas wanting a premiership ring.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
I dont think "a great bloke" comes into it tbh nor does Cobbos opinion. He has had 24 months to get up to speed and learn. There will no doubt be some hangover from him learning and adapting - but the results this season will answer if hes a good coach or man manager. In some ways the start of this season could be his hardest to date - Haas/Robati/Cobbo stuff is a huge distraction combined with pressure because of last years poor result.
Depends whether Selwyn's opinion is an outlier or the temperature of the dressing room. We should all be grateful he and Tyson are dumb as rocks so we get a slither of a peek into what a cross section of players really think beyond the stage schooled press conferences.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
yeah I can forgive the comments about kev but walking out is piss weak. abandoning your team mates. that's a huge red flag on his character - can he be relied on when going gets tough?
Everything is wrong with it. I know Reece Walsh would go to Broncos games just to watch his mates play.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013

Well Leeds can; they can hold him to his deal which is why you don't go in there with no pants on saying you're a big deal.

They took a risk on you when you were a nuffy ISC coach that no one had heard of before.

Leeds treated Smith and Norths with respect and Norths responded, I would hope Leeds would do the same thing if a coach wanted to go home.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
Great another thread of mchunt arguing about something he has no idea about

You can just hope one day he just says- didn't know who Norths were or Smith and have no clue.

Like when he argued New Zealand and Samoa were the same country. You've just got to let him roll.

Swordfish

Swordfish

QCup Player
Aug 24, 2022
All this fuckin mess started due to differences between 2 egoistic maniacs in Bennett & White.

Those 2 have moved on and they’re doing very well for themselves BUT we’re still deep in the gutter. The club is being battered & suffering hell of a lot.
Every Tom, dick & Harry all of a sudden becomes expert in preaching us as to how
1. The players should be coached,
2. How the club should be fun.

This is the disgrace that’s being allowed to spiral for over 4 years & it’s painfully hurting.

Now that this b.s is in public, the media has got plenty to write about in the next 5-6 weeks. Kev should block out everything & only concentrate on what he’s for.
R1-5 will have a great impact on our season & Kev surely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Swordfish
  • Aldo
  • johnny plath
  • Broncorob
  • Lostboy
  • mitch222
  • MrMoore
  • winslow_wong
  • GCBRONCO
  • dasherhalo
  • Dash
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.