Cobbo: “I think he’s a nice guy but not a good coach”

How long does Kebbie have to prove he's more than just a good friend?

• It's over now

Votes: 9 10.2%
  • The trials

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • First 6 weeks

Votes: 17 19.3%
  • Week 13

Votes: 15 17.0%
  • When it's clear we're not making the finals

Votes: 32 36.4%
  • His contract review

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • As long as he needs to rebuild the club

Votes: 3 3.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope his mates are supporting him more than he supported them in the 2nd half of that game because like I said, he can get away with bagging the coach.. however, ditching your mates?

He's going to be copping it from everywhere
Hopefully a sincere apology to the rest of the squad during the next session and if it was me starting out in my career you would be putting in some extra hours to win back the respect of the coach/boss and team mates/peers.

Starts 7 mins in. Only interesting comment (to me) was about (unnamed) players saying Kevvie is pretty poor technically as a coach, maybe because he can't communicate his skills to development players. Or something like that.

How much should we read into Selwyn Cobbo's comments on Kevin Walters (9/1/23)​
Michael Carayannis and James Magnussen dive further into the story making headlines in rugby league and the listeners give their say on the matter.​
I thought we all knew Kevvie was Poor technically when it came to that part of coaching, but the key then is to have the right people around you and do the things you are good at.

I think being a good coach on the technical matters is overrated somewhat(we did go that way before him remember), because that's only half the job or even less then half the job, managing the players is what will get results and a combination of the two are what make the better coaches.

We Improved last year but it came with the baggage of that huge drop off at the end, that said when we were on, we where playing some of the best footy I have ever seen from this club so there is something there.

I would be more worried if they where bagging the coach because they didn't like him honestly, if a player could feel comfortable saying that out loud there would be alot more issues.

Like I said before though if your going to replace him you have to sort your plan for the next coach before it happens otherwise what is the point, things can easily get worse.

This is all just going to make it that much sweeter when we win the Grand Final this year. Imagine, Kevvie and Selwyn coming together on the field, broken fences more than just mended but rebuilt better than ever before (and painted Bronco maroon and gold), just hugging it out for five minutes straight until quite frankly it gets a little awkward and Clive Churchill medallist Billy Walters needs to separate them.

I thought we all knew Kevvie was Poor technically when it came to that part of coaching, but the key then is to have the right people around you and do the things you are good at.

I think being a good coach on the technical matters is overrated somewhat(we did go that way before him remember), because that's only half the job or even less then half the job, managing the players is what will get results and a combination of the two are what make the better coaches.

We Improved last year but it came with the baggage of that huge drop off at the end, that said when we were on, we where playing some of the best footy I have ever seen from this club so there is something there.

I would be more worried if they where bagging the coach because they didn't like him honestly, if a player could feel comfortable saying that out loud there would be alot more issues.

Like I said before though if your going to replace him you have to sort your plan for the next coach before it happens otherwise what is the point, things can easily get worse.
I think if my job was to coach, I'd prefer my players thought I was good at that job. But then again, doesn't almost everyone think they know better than their boss?

This is all just going to make it that much sweeter when we win the Grand Final this year. Imagine, Kevvie and Selwyn coming together on the field, broken fences more than just mended but rebuilt better than ever before (and painted Bronco maroon and gold), just hugging it out for five minutes straight until quite frankly it gets a little awkward and Clive Churchill medallist Billy Walters needs to separate them.

I'll have what this guy's having please, waiter!

50 cent laughing GIF

I think if my job was to coach, I'd prefer my players thought I was good at that job. But then again, doesn't almost everyone think they know better than their boss?
Sure, but there is probably plenty of players in alot of teams that are/were like this, it's just our team's players are not as smart.

It is concerning that he would blurt that out..

Way more concerning is there is clearly a feeling amongst the playing group KW cant coach. Sacking or dropping Cobbo doesn't fix that.

It is concerning that he would blurt that out..

Way more concerning is there is clearly a feeling amongst the playing group KW cant coach. Sacking or dropping Cobbo doesn't fix that.
It’s just insane that he’s come out and said it. this will fester in the back of all the players minds, The seeds been planted and when things go south on the playing field which they inevitably will, we’ve already seen the resilience of this playing group….. instead of knuckling down, they’ll blame the coach and kick rocks.

for the record I don’t think Kev is an overly good coach, he was a brilliant player but players like him I doubt they knew how they did what they did on the field. Doesn’t make for a structured coach, which is what these young kids need.

bit of a rant, my bad.

Sure, but i think this instance was a case of Cobbo knowing what the right thing to do was (stick around like the club asked you to and tough out a rough night with your team mates) and the wrong thing (sneak off - easy option)

I'm not sure his choice/option has anything to do with coming from a remote town or just being 20 years old...he just wanted the easy way out which to me is a huge concern as its a horrible attitude or character trait for someone in arguably the toughest sport in the world. Normally the coach can assist in turning this around but you combine this with his thoughts in Kevvie and its a bit of a worry...
I didn’t say he didn’t know it was wrong to leave, I’m sure he did, but he’s a stupid kid who probably had somewhere more fun to be. He was in his first season, he’s not a senior player expected to set the standards of the club. He did the wrong thing, no doubt, but it’s hardly a hanging offence given his age and experience. Hopefully the club sat him down and told him it wasn’t acceptable and he won’t do it again. Provided it doesn’t become a pattern I just think we need to be a bit more realistic about where he is in his career and accept he’s going to make mistakes.

It’s just insane that he’s come out and said it. this will fester in the back of all the players minds, The seeds been planted and when things go south on the playing field which they inevitably will, we’ve already seen the resilience of this playing group….. instead of knuckling down, they’ll blame the coach and kick rocks.

for the record I don’t think Kev is an overly good coach, he was a brilliant player but players like him I doubt they knew how they did what they did on the field. Doesn’t make for a structured coach, which is what these young kids need.

bit of a rant, my bad.
can you please explain what a structured coach is? Seibold??

Can you send me the link.
Here’s one example of a frustrating conversation I was involved in today.

Attachments

• BBBA665B-ACF7-461F-8279-DBE27B7C4F16.jpeg
    BBBA665B-ACF7-461F-8279-DBE27B7C4F16.jpeg
    361 KB · Views: 142
  • 55EFA970-A4E2-45BC-AB00-20A8335FB902.jpeg
    55EFA970-A4E2-45BC-AB00-20A8335FB902.jpeg
    315.3 KB · Views: 146
Reactions: Kaz
can you please explain what a structured coach is? Seibold??
He was hot air, masquerading as someone who knew what he was talking about.

I was all for Kev coming here for the “culture” but I’m not seeing improvements.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• ivanhungryjak
  • Jedhead
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.