[Confirmed] Ben Barba signs with Cronulla

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
Re: [RUMOUR] Ben Barba to Cronulla

I don't think we can put Barba in GI or Slaters class.

i am going to take a guess with your question.
I would say Cyril Connell taught him the value of giving players that need it a bit of love and attention. The Broncos won't gain or lose too much between Barba and Boyd so Boyd gets the gig.
WB said sometimes Cyril would bring juniors to the Broncos that in WBs words could not play the game to a high standard and as such were no chance of ever succeeding. When WB asked Cyril why he said he needs to get away from the environment he is in to give him a chance at life
Boyd isn't in that class either, nor even in Barba's class imo, and certainly not in Milford's.

And that's exactly why it is a conflict of interest!
The Broncos are not in the "life changing" business, at least when it comes to First Grade.
Nothing that has been done to bring Boyd on board, is in the Broncos interest, except in some illuminated minds, that want to believe Wayne didn't do it for motives ulterior to the Broncos sporting interests...

Note that I'm not arguing Boyd's value as a player, as if he plays for us, I'm sure he will do a job. I just completely disagree he was in any way needed.

Splinter

Splinter

NRL Player
Feb 16, 2013

Boyd isn't in that class either, nor even in Barba's class imo, and certainly not in Milford's.

The Broncos are not in the "life changing" business, at least when it comes to First Grade.
Nothing that has been done to bring Boyd on board, is in the Broncos interest, except in some illuminated minds, that want to believe Wayne didn't do it for motives ulterior to the Broncos sporting interests...

Note that I'm not arguing Boyd's value as a player, as if he plays for us, I'm sure he will do a job. I just completely disagree he was in any way needed.
I am a bit like you in that I would not have signed Boyd as a first choice but unlike you I would have still punted Barba for another option.
But luckily for you guys I don't run the club or you would be tearing your hair out

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008
Last edited:
Splinter

Splinter

NRL Player
Feb 16, 2013

I think on current form Boyd is in Barba's class. If you are talking career best form well that is another argument

QUEENSLANDER

QUEENSLANDER

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008

@broncos4life , do you genuinely, honestly believe that bennett is 100% bringing boyd here because "he knows his structures" and he genuinely believes he is the best player for the broncos fullback spot?? Honest question.

If so, you are one naive and gullible poster. If you can't see they have a relationship offield that transcends football then there is no pointing talking to you. It is a well known fact that they have some weird ass father-son relationship going on, so for you to suggest hes bringing boyd purely for the club then you are just making yourself look foolish. Maybe part of the reason is he actually believes that, but if we are being realistic here (and i think you are not) then you have to admit that part of the reason he is coming here, perhaps the main reason he is coming here, is because of their special off-field romance.

Your response to why milfords best position is 6 answered nothing at all either. You always take aim at AP for not providing facts or reasons to back up his opinion yet you give this vague and irrelevant answer for why 6 is milfords best spot

Ok. We know you believe his future lies in the halves. He would be a great foil for hunt. We need a 6.

ANSWER THE QUESTION

Actually give attributes and evidence of what you have seen from him that would make him a decent 6.

Ill give you an example of how to do this, stating why we KNOW he is a great fullback
1. Fantastic in broken play
2. Brilliant backup skills
3. Good under the high ball
4. Excels when given the chance to roam the field and not be placed in 1 spot.
5. Plays well off his halves, they give him a bit of space and then he is able to get 1 on 1 with a defender.

Reasons he is not a 6
1. His defence is horrible
2. At this stage, he is not great under defensive pressure and seems to push the pass when swamped by defence
3. His kicking game isnt fantastic
4. Without the space that fullback gives him he cant take advantage of his blistering pace

Now, lets see if you can answer the question properly this time instead of just "i think his future is in the halves coz he will be good with hunt". Dont ignore the boyd question either, because i am genuinely curious as to how naive you are

Still waiting [MENTION=7802]broncos4life[/MENTION]

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008

I guess this is the reason why Boyd hasnt signed yet - needed Barbas dollars to hit that magic million a year mark.

**** the Broncos. **** Bennett and his love child. I've never been more ashamed and angry at the club than I am over this whole Boyd ordeal.

B

bazza

NRL Player
Sep 24, 2013

bargain.

crazy that someone whos NRL career is over and has no teams wanting him can get $1mil a season.

Neither Inglis or Slater have had a year as good as Barbas 2012.

Slater - Yes. He's had many years that were just as good as Barba's. He's in a class of his own and revolutionised the way fullbacks play and should be a future immortal.

Inglis - No. Moments of individual brilliance, but too many instance where he goes missing. Even in rep footy, especially after he started playing fullback he seems lazy and hasn't done much. He doesn't go looking for work unlike other players and isn't busy. He does one good thing and everyone keeps talking about it, then he does nothing for a while. Same goes for Hayne.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008

In saying that if Barba leaves, we should hurry up and sign Boyd. We've lost Hoffman and potentially Barba so we'll have no fullback. I just hope its not like the Milford situation last year where we sacked Wallace and Prince in the hope Milford would come, but it didn't happen.

Hodges in attack >>>>> Barba and Boyd

Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Master Baiter
Contributor
Mar 13, 2008

On single season only form, nobody can touch Hayne. It amazes me that people consider Inglis to be a better. Hayne's Dally M seasons were better than anything any fullback has done in a single season.

B

bazza

NRL Player
Sep 24, 2013

I think on current form Boyd is in Barba's class. If you are talking career best form well that is another argument

Even on current form, I'd still take Barba.

I know this goes unnoticed, but just having Barba in the team helped us score so many points this year. He may not have had the "breath taking length of the field try's" impact everyone was hoping for, but he created space in attack due to his presence and threat. Without even getting the ball, opposition defences would slide, trying to mark up and shut down Barba, which left space for Hunt to capitalise on. Opposition defences don't really do that with Boyd. They don't consider him the same sort of threat Barba possesses.

Splinter

Splinter

NRL Player
Feb 16, 2013

Even on current form, I'd still take Barba.

I know this goes unnoticed, but just having Barba in the team helped us score so many points this year. He may not have had the "breath taking length of the field try's" impact everyone was hoping for, but he created space in attack due to his presence and threat. Without even getting the ball, opposition defences would slide, trying to mark up and shut down Barba, which left space for Hunt to capitalise on. Opposition defences don't really do that with Boyd. They don't consider him the same sort of threat Barba possesses.
You may well be right but I don't think it would have made too much difference to the end results

B

bazza

NRL Player
Sep 24, 2013

On single season only form, nobody can touch Hayne. It amazes me that people consider Inglis to be a better. Hayne's Dally M seasons were better than anything any fullback has done in a single season.

Especially considering he has played with a bunch of amatuers his whole career. No wonder he went to the NFL. But the thing with Hayne was also inconsistency. He had half a tremendous season in 2009 and single-handedly got his team to the grand final. But then nothing for 5 years besides glimpses of absolute brilliance. Then explodes once again with great form in 2013. I guess it didn't help when your team did nothing and there was a new coach like every year. I feel if he was at another club, somewhere where he would have support around him, he would of been so much better and consistent.

Inglis on the otherhand, hasn't really put a consistent year of footy since his Melbourne storm days. There's no denying he can be one of the best, but I feel he is slightly over rated and over hyped based on one good thing he does. For instance the length of the field try against us where he beat 5 or so defenders. Yes it was good, but it's been done before. The media and fans carried on like it was the greatest play they've ever seen. Meanwhile Inglis did virtually nothing after that for 5 weeks, let alone the rest of the game. I haven't really seen a game from him where he hasn't gone missing.

Splinter

Splinter

NRL Player
Feb 16, 2013

I guess this is the reason why Boyd hasnt signed yet - needed Barbas dollars to hit that magic million a year mark.

**** the Broncos. **** Bennett and his love child. I've never been more ashamed and angry at the club than I am over this whole Boyd ordeal.
Hypothetically would you have been as mad if they had punted him for Tedesco, Sione, Dugan or GI?
Just wondering as I would have punted him for these 4 but probably not so much Boyd

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008

Hypothetically would you have been as mad if they had punted him for Tedesco, Sione, Dugan or GI?
Just wondering as I would have punted him for these 4 but probably not so much Boyd
Yep, but at least with GI and Dugan you could make a case for them being equally as big game breakers. With Boyd there's no way you can argue that.

Splinter

Splinter

NRL Player
Feb 16, 2013

Yep, but at least with GI and Dugan you could make a case for them being equally as big game breakers. With Boyd there's no way you can argue that.
I am of similar opinion on GI and Dugan
I would throw Hayne into that group as well

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008

Looks like there will be a story in the CM about Barba's future tomorrow.

Badel deleted his tweet but keep your eyes open.

Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Master Baiter
Contributor
Mar 13, 2008

I think the Sharks article as it stands is bullshit. If Barba is getting 1mil a season (I can't see how he is worth it) then we wouldn't be paying him to leave, unless his contract for us is for over a 1mil, in which case I'd instantly support WB's decision to get rid of Barba (though still not his decision to sign Boyd).

Active Now

• Aldo
  • LittleDavey
  • bb_gun
  • broncos4life
  • Johnny92
  • winslow_wong
  • Smokin' Joe
  • Swordfish
  • Allo
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Broncorob
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.