[Confirmed] Ben Barba signs with Cronulla

Re: [RUMOUR] Ben Barba to Cronulla

Sione Mata'utia was also better than Boyd this year, even on the small number of gsmes he was eligible to play

What a completely objective exercise that was...

Back to bringing up the Clive Churchill medal like its a dally m lol. Its a fucking man of the match award, nothing more.

Shows you they can handle pressure and perform in big games

Sione Mata'utia was also better than Boyd this year, even on the small number of gsmes he was eligible to play

Whilst I agree this mata'utia kid is a decent player, Newcastle had nothing to lose last year and they threw the ball around like it was the case. Might be a bit different this year when they are playing for a finals spot.

Morgan had a great season but he is nowhere near the best fullback in the game or anything like that. There are plenty of fullbacks I would pick ahead of him.
Noone said he was near the best fullback in the game though.

He had a much better 2014 than Boyd though, that's not debatable. He was no good there to begin with, but he improved incredibly and finished the season extremely well.

Shows you they can handle pressure and perform in big games
No it doesnt lol. It just means you played the best in that one match, or you're the biggest name in the team that won in many cases where there is no standout player. Many people that watched that game dont feel that he deserved it at all. Same way Thaiday gets man of the match in a fair number of Broncos games where noone puts their hand up by having a blinder, they just go with the favourite.

Last edited:

Yes, it makes perfect sense to rank players based on what the tea leaves say, as opposed to what they did so far in their career... well, at least it's novel. :laugh:

Yet you have ranked Kahu ahead of Boyd as an NRL level fullback when he has never played fullback at an NRL level. So what has he done in his NRL career to justify that. (and please don't say he was great in the u20's, as you would be the first to tell someone that that means nothing... and rightfully so might I add)

Yet you have ranked Kahu ahead of Boyd as an NRL level fullback when he has never played fullback at an NRL level. So what has he done in his NRL career to justify that. (and please don't say he was great in the u20's, as you would be the first to tell someone that that means nothing... and rightfully so might I add)
Oh, look who's using past references...

Let me explain it slowly, so you understand.
I have seen Kahu play a lot of footy, a lot of it at fullback, I have seen him perform at NRL level as well, albeit not at FB and not often enough. He has more talent in one finger than Boyd as a whole, and based on the former, I would take the gamble on him before Darius, who is solid but excels at nothing, and really isn't much more than a glorified rep winger.

Oh, look who's using past references...

Let me explain it slowly, so you understand.
I have seen Kahu play a lot of footy, a lot of it at fullback, I have seen him perform at NRL level as well, albeit not at FB and not often enough. He has more talent in one finger than Boyd as a whole, and based on the former, I would take the gamble on him before Darius, who is solid but excels at nothing, and really isn't much more than a glorified rep winger.

Past references, this was said about 18 hours ago FFS.

The question was to rank fullbacks ahead of boyd. FULLBACKS. you know, players that play in that position.

Ranking Kahu based on potential is no more appropriate than unbreaks 'tea leaves' approach.

I honestly am surprised, of all the boyd haters I genuinely thought you would be able to be objective. I'm not claiming that Boyd is some super fullback and can say without question there are many currently playing that are ahead of him, but ranking someone that hasn't played the position ahead of him is just insulting the discussion

Talent/potential are subjective, Boyd has runs on the board, Kahu does not (as you've suggested). It doesn't matter if you've seen him kill it at lower levels, plenty of players do but it really only matters what they do at the top level. See Luke Capewell for instance.

It's disingenuous to imply that Kahu is a better player because despite all his potential, he simply hasn't proven it.
It seems to be forgotten that while Boyd hasn't won a dally m poty award, he was only 2 points off winning it in 2010, plus was named the RLIF fb of the year when the dragons won the premiership.

granted, 4 years ago, but let's not paint Boyd out to be some journeyman who was lucky to be in the right place at the right time.

he's a quality player when he's focussed, you don't win premierships, dally m positional awards, clive churchills, finish 2 points behind the overall dally m winner etc etc, if you are just a journeyman.

Whilst I agree this mata'utia kid is a decent player, Newcastle had nothing to lose last year and they threw the ball around like it was the case. Might be a bit different this year when they are playing for a finals spot.

Newcastle can't possibly be playing for a finals spot this year. I mean, if WB couldn't get them to the finals, it's just not possible.

Talent/potential are subjective, Boyd has runs on the board, Kahu does not (as you've suggested). It doesn't matter if you've seen him kill it at lower levels, plenty of players do but it really only matters what they do at the top level. See Luke Capewell for instance.

It's disingenuous to imply that Kahu is a better player because despite all his potential, he simply hasn't proven it.
It seems to be forgotten that while Boyd hasn't won a dally m poty award, he was only 2 points off winning it in 2010, plus was named the RLIF fb of the year when the dragons won the premiership.

granted, 4 years ago, but let's not paint Boyd out to be some journeyman who was lucky to be in the right place at the right time.

he's a quality player when he's focussed, you don't win premierships, dally m positional awards, clive churchills, finish 2 points behind the overall dally m winner etc etc, if you are just a journeyman.
It's a fair enough standpoint. I stand by mine though, as I'm adding Kahu's ability as a fullback to what I've seen of him in the NRL, even if not as fullback. That's a personal opinion though, and I can totally understand why most people wouldn't agree with it. I noticed that another guy that watches a lot of youth footy ( [MENTION=8219]Splinter[/MENTION] ) liked my post... he must have seen the same as I did.

I've no issue (why would I anyway, it's just a forum) with people ranking players subjectively on talent, but sooner or later talent gives way to consistent performance, and while Boyd hasn't been the measure of consistency the past 18 months, no one can deny that when he is focussed he is a good player.

The ranking of fullbacks apart from your absolute elite are all really take a name out of the hat.

You've got Slater, Inglis, Hayne (well, when he was playing), Stewart

Pull a name out of the hat for the rest to determine ranking

Zillman dead last.

Dugan, Milford and Tomkins are also a class above, without doubt.

Kahu???.....Ka who????...you got to be joking...hahahaha....he was also one of Griffins pet, gave him preferences over other players and has shown nothing when on the field. He just can't tackle or defend the line nor read any play.
I think WB wouldn't even consider to use him next year and most probably promote Ashley Taylor and the Nikorima bros on the bench to gain the experience during origin period.

Kahu???.....Ka who????...you got to be joking...hahahaha....he was also one of Griffins pet, gave him preferences over other players and has shown nothing when on the field. He just can't tackle or defend the line nor read any play.
I think WB wouldn't even consider to use him next year and most probably promote Ashley Taylor and the Nikorima bros on the bench to gain the experience during origin period.

This is off topic, but I got to say that's an awesome username.

Best. Username. Ever.

This is off topic, but I got to say that's an awesome username.

Best. Username. Ever.
[EDIT] - Please do not comment publicly on moderation, thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

I've gotta agree that putting Kahu above Boyd doesn't look good for any objective argument. He is very good there at ISC but for whatever reason, hasn't done it at NRL level and therefore is nowhere near Boyd at that level. That said, there are a lot of fbs above Boyd but if the $400k price tag is correct, I can also love with it despite preferring Barba.

Active Now

• Ondi
  • Financeguy
  • MrMoore
  • Fozz
  • Fatboy
  • Culhwch
  • Xzei
  • Bucking Beads
  • GCBRONCO
  • Robboi_321
  • Manofoneway
  • BroncosAlways
  • Mr Fourex
  • Bongo
  • FACTHUNT
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Redux
  • Santa
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.