NEWS Corey Oates cleared of compound fracture

I just hope he gets through the next couple of days...

That is an unbelievably unlucky injury in what appeared to be just another tackle. Maybe the twisting motion did it? I have no idea how that even happens.

NRL Physio gives his thoughts on what caused it.

hoping all the best for Corey. I’ve seen mates go through this injury and it’s a long and very painful process. It’s meant to be one of the worst physical pains a human can experience. Incredible that he was able to stand up.

good luck Corey. It’s times like this when you remember it is just a game.

I have seen my share of these and they are very painful. Terrible injury, lots of muscle and vasculature that can also be damaged. Hopefully a clean break and not a spiral or shattered into multiple pieces. My big concern still remains his history of MRSA infection, if he is not decolonized the risk of it getting into the pins and plates is very concerning.

I have seen my share of these and they are very painful. Terrible injury, lots of muscle and vasculature that can also be damaged. Hopefully a clean break and not a spiral or shattered into multiple pieces. My big concern still remains his history of MRSA infection, if he is not decolonized the risk of it getting into the pins and plates is very concerning.

Happened to me last year. Not nice

My infections actually started in and from the pins and plates I had in my fractured ankle. Bugs live in and on them. Had to have all mine removed, and now my fib will never properly heal.

I really really feel for Oates. I can't see him coming back from this

Last edited:
Happened to me last year. Not nice

My infections actually started in and from the pins and plates I had in my fractured ankle. Bugs live in and on them. Had to have all mine removed, and now my fib will never properly heal.

I really really feel for Oates. I can't see him coming back from this
Sorry to hear that mate, it sounds like you had a rough time and still are.

That's the concern I have for him, would not surprise me to hear he gets medically retired in the next 12-18months. Unless he gets out without any complications that is.

Sorry to hear that mate, it sounds like you had a rough time and still are.

That's the concern I have for him, would not surprise me to hear he gets medically retired in the next 12-18months. Unless he gets out without any complications that is.

You're not wrong. My injury was very similar to Yow Yeh's. I'll never run again and I walk with a permanent limp. Anyway, with Corey's history of injuries, I reckon this is it for him. To come back mentally from a compound of the femur after what he's been through is a big ask separate to healing properly. So sad.

Last edited:
You're not wrong. My injury was very similar to Yow Yeh's. I'll never run again and I walk with a permanent limp. Anyway, with Corey's history of injuries, I reckon this is it for him. To come back mentally from a compound of the femur after what he's been through is a big ask separate to healing properly. So sad.
Yeah, true mate. The psychological effects are probably the longest and most grueling battle. Hope the club gets around him like they did Yow Yeh if that is the case.

NRL Physio says he’s a pretty good chance of returning from the injury.

The femur heals well. It’s just going to be a lengthy recovery.

NRL Physio says he’s a pretty good chance of returning from the injury.

The femur heals well. It’s just going to be a lengthy recovery.

I am equally concerned about what yet another serious injury has done to his mental well being

I spoke this morning to someone who should know. I also have absolutely no reason to doubt them whatsoever.

Apparently it’s not a compound fracture. He has a bad laceration and a hematoma and will get it cleaned up today. All going well, they are saying he should be back in 3 weeks.

I also know everyone is reporting a compound fracture, and there is a chance this information is wrong too, but hopefully it’s right and the big fella finally gets some good luck on the injury front.

Last edited:
I spoke this morning to someone who should know. I also have absolutely no reason to doubt them whatsoever.

Apparently it’s not a compound fracture. He has a bad laceration and a hematoma and will get cleaned It up today. All going well, they are saying he should be back in 3 weeks.

I also know everyone is reporting a compound fracture, and there is a chance this information is wrong too, but hopefully it’s right and the big fella finally gets some good luck on the injury front.

If it was a compound fracture, I thought he would have been in a lot more agony than what he showed. He stood up and played the ball and then hobbled into the in goal area. I hope your source is right though

Last edited:
You can see the bone sticking out of the skin.

It's a compound fracture.

Active Now

• Old Mate
  • TimWhatley
  • Wolfie
  • Xzei
  • lynx000
  • eggstar10
  • Jazza
  • jd87
  • Bucking Beads
  • Midean
  • Sproj
  • Jedhead
  • HarryAllan7
  • Big Del
  • Aldo
  • MrTickyMcG
  • GCBRONCO
  • Bish
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.