NEWS Corey Oates cleared of compound fracture

fucking relax ... do you think the Broncos doctor takes an x-ray machine or MRI machine with him to every match.

besides it wasn't a diagnoses ... it was what they suspected, until they could get Oates to the technology at the hospital to determine what the injury was
Hahaha... Go look up what a COMPOUND fracture is and then tell me they need an x Ray machine. "Suspecting" is a differential diagnosis. It then gets ruled out, or in, upon further investigation. If they truly thought it was a compound femur fracture and it wasn't, they should be discredited from medicine tbh. My guess is it wasn't the doctor or physio diagnosis.

To add to this... You do not MISDIAGNOSE A bloody compound femur fracture. It normally takes a motor vehicle accident to break the femur unless you are going through strong chemo or have advanced osteoporosis, even then it normally takes a significant fall. Add to that, a compound fracture means it PENETRATES THE FUCKING SKIN. How the hell can you misdiagnose that?! You just need to use your eyes and see the bone is not sticking out of the skin ffs. No way would he walk off with a compound femur fracture unless he was gettimg carried by 2 mates out of a war zone ffs.

it is very difficult to break the femur but it’s not uncommon. It’s happened to many athletes under seemingly innocuous circumstances.
I’m not sure what the wound looked like up close but the fact he stood up made me skeptical. Though adrenaline is a hell of a drug.

it is very difficult to break the femur but it’s not uncommon. It’s happened to many athletes under seemingly innocuous circumstances.
I’m not sure what the wound looked like up close but the fact he stood up made me skeptical. Though adrenaline is a hell of a drug.

When nerve groups or endings are damaged the brain can play some serious tricks on the body....For sure they did the right thing. I wouldnt be bagging the on field doc or trainer. IF IT WAS as others have highlighted there are major arteries and blood vessels in the area which can cause serious bleeding conditions and shock conditions. I have zero issue with their actions.

It is uncommon but I didn't say it doesn't happen. But you would know about it and wouldn't be making the player walk off on it (did he get carried off or walk off, I didn't watch it?).

And again, look up what a COMPOUND fracture is. It means the bone is penetrating the skin, it's an open fracture...

Hahaha... Go look up what a COMPOUND fracture is and then tell me they need an x Ray machine. "Suspecting" is a differential diagnosis. It then gets ruled out, or in, upon further investigation. If they truly thought it was a compound femur fracture and it wasn't, they should be discredited from medicine tbh. My guess is it wasn't the doctor or physio diagnosis.

you need to stop listening to the channel 9 commentators ... they know less than you do.

the club suspected a fractured femur ... it was the commentators that called it a compound fracture

When nerve groups or endings are damaged the brain can play some serious tricks on the body....For sure they did the right thing. I wouldnt be bagging the on field doc or trainer. IF IT WAS as others have highlighted there are major arteries and blood vessels in the area which can cause serious bleeding conditions and shock conditions. I have zero issue with their actions.
When have I questioned their actions? Haha re-read it. They should take maximum precautions with every injury. But if they can't identify that it isn't a compound fracture they shouldn't be at that level. And why is a strength and conditioning coach appearing to be our main person for injury management?

It is uncommon but I didn't say it doesn't happen. But you would know about it and wouldn't be making the player walk off on it (did he get carried off or walk off, I didn't watch it?).

And again, look up what a COMPOUND fracture is. It means the bone is penetrating the skin, it's an open fracture...

Stretchered off.

I witnessed a friend break his femur playing sport and he spoke calmly for the 20 minutes it took the ambo to rock up.

the injury is apparently a severely deep cut, impacting muscle. They may have thought the bone caused wound but returned into the inside of the leg after causing the damage.

A compound fracture of the femur can be very deadly, better over diagnose than under in that circumstance. I have no issues.

When have I questioned their actions? Haha re-read it. They should take maximum precautions with every injury. But if they can't identify that it isn't a compound fracture they shouldn't be at that level. And why is a strength and conditioning coach appearing to be our main person for injury management?

I take it you have never actually stepped foot on the field or further past the door of a surgery ward without a benzo or anesthesia.

Stretchered off.

I witnessed a friend break his femur playing sport and he spoke calmly for the 20 minutes it took the ambo to rock up.

the injury is apparently a severely deep cut, impacting muscle. They may have thought the bone caused wound but returned into the inside of the leg after causing the damage.

A compound fracture of the femur can be very deadly, better over diagnose than under in that circumstance. I have no issues.

apparently the deep lacerations narrowly missed arteries ... that could have been fatal

you need to stop listening to the channel 9 commentators ... they know less than you do.

the club suspected a fractured femur ... it was the commentators that called it a compound fracture
I didn't watch that part of the game..seibold said it in the press conference...

Also, the other part I'm talking about regarding a strength and conditioning coach managing our injuries is because he gives updates on player injuries. Is he just the public face for it or has he been handed the reigns? Considering there was no physio on the field by the sounds of it (?), it only adds to that possibility. The doctors would not be there all the time.

I didn't watch that part of the game..seibold said it in the press conference...

Also, the other part I'm talking about regarding a strength and conditioning coach managing our injuries is because he gives updates on player injuries. Is he just the public face for it or has he been handed the reigns? Considering there was no physio on the field by the sounds of it (?), it only adds to that possibility. The doctors would not be there all the time.

Honestly mate your point is a joke.

There is a team physio on sidelines. There is a club doctor. There is an NRL doctor. All the trainers on field are required to be trained in impact injuries and low level medical awareness, if unaware refer to higher up and get the doctor. There is absolutely nothing wrong with what they did, it was by the book and absolutely correct. Even the referees are sports level medical trained ffs....

Stretchered off.

Cheers mate. As I said at the start I didn't watch this part on tv so I'm glad someone finally actually replied properly rather then getting defensive about the medical management being brought into question (which it should and can be, particularly given our track record this year with their management). The laceration makes a bit more sense but I still doubt they would have seriously thought it was a compound fracture, maybe just precautionary and seibold ran with it at the press conference.

To add to this... You do not MISDIAGNOSE A bloody compound femur fracture. It normally takes a motor vehicle accident to break the femur unless you are going through strong chemo or have advanced osteoporosis, even then it normally takes a significant fall. Add to that, a compound fracture means it PENETRATES THE FUCKING SKIN. How the hell can you misdiagnose that?! You just need to use your eyes and see the bone is not sticking out of the skin ffs. No way would he walk off with a compound femur fracture unless he was gettimg carried by 2 mates out of a war zone ffs.
A compound fracture does not necessarily mean the bone is penetrating the skin, but that there is a connection between a break and the outside world, introducing the risk of infection. Just because there wasn't half a bone hanging out of his leg when he was seen by a medico on the field or whatever, doesn't mean it's not a compound fracture.

A compound fracture does not necessarily mean the bone is penetrating the skin, but that there is a connection between a break and the outside world, introducing the risk of infection. Just because there wasn't half a bone hanging out of his leg when he was seen by a medico on the field or whatever, doesn't mean it's not a compound fracture.
"An OPEN fracture, also called a compound fracture, is a fracture in which there is an OPEN WOUND OR BREAK IN THE SKIN near the site of the broken bone. Most often, this wound is caused by a fragment of bone breaking THROUGH the skin at the moment of the injury" American academy of orthopedic surgeons...

I could get about 2000 other references if you'd like, but I think it's sister-name, "open" fracture, sums it up enough anyway. I never said there needs to be half a bone sticking out.
The mechanism of injury is even completly different obviously, that's the first question that gets asked in order to make a differential diagnosis. I would have been concerned about 3 or 4 other injuries prior to thinking it was a compound femur fracture the way he fell lol...

I don't know how this can get defended so much by everyone. Imagine your family was in hospital and they said it was a fractured femur with the bone penetrating the skin, a massive injury with huge ramifications, only for them to come back to you a day later after a student nurse probably identified it. Wouldn't you wonder? "How can it go from a fracture with an opening in the skin to a bone that normally takes a car accident to break, to a deep cut?" They made a mistake, or am I missing something? Is a laceration a new type of fracture I haven't heard of?

Last edited:
"An OPEN fracture, also called a compound fracture, is a fracture in which there is an OPEN WOUND OR BREAK IN THE SKIN near the site of the broken bone. Most often, this wound is caused by a fragment of bone breaking THROUGH the skin at the moment of the injury" American academy of orthopedic surgeons...

I could get about 2000 other references if you'd like, but I think it's sister-name, "open" fracture, sums it up enough anyway. I never said there needs to be half a bone sticking out.
The mechanism of injury is even completly different obviously, that's the first question that gets asked in order to make a differential diagnosis. I would have been concerned about 3 or 4 other injuries prior to thinking it was a compound femur fracture the way he fell lol...

I don't know how this can get defended so much by everyone. Imagine your family was in hospital and they said it was a fractured femur with the bone penetrating the skin, a massive injury with huge ramifications, only for them to come back to you a day later after a student nurse probably identified it. Wouldn't you wonder? "How can it go from a fracture with an opening in the skin to a bone that normally takes a car accident to break, to a deep cut?" They made a mistake, or am I missing something? Is a laceration a new type of fracture I haven't heard of?
I think you should probably move on. The definition you quoted is exactly what the poster you were replying to said in the quoted post. Not sure how you managed to read that definition and his post and not see that.

I agree that it looks a bit embarrassing being so certain it was a compound fracture (according to Oates) but perhaps the wound really resembled one that was caused by a fracture. It’s very possible, as all description of the wound and the images seen on tv appear to suggest a serious break.

They got their diagnosis wrong but still did everything they could to protect Oates. I really don’t see the issue.

No wonder none of the players cared for coreys well-being. The all must have known it wasn’t a compound fracture.

Corey you have brain cancer... oh no it’s actually a head ache

Is it that bad that even our medics can’t figure out what’s wrong with our players physically - that’ll just about do me 😱

Active Now

• Battler
  • KateBroncos1812
  • GCBRONCO
  • broncsgoat
  • Sproj
  • I bleed Maroon
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • Wolfie
  • Old Mate
  • Xzei
  • Justwin
  • Maroon4life
  • Johnny92
  • Foordy
  • BroncosAlways
  • Harry Sack
  • westy316
  • Fitzy
  • FACTHUNT
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.