Could Bennett take Taylor from Titans?

You must be too young to remember the days of "Henjak ball" and "Hook ball". Look it up in your history books. I'll take Bennett ball for another twenty years if he's willing.
Bennett and Henjak are stark opposites. One is an excellent manager of men, the other had his own players sabotaging him.

One's game is based on suffering less points than the opposition, while the other is about scoring more than the opposition, but only one of them is capable of uniting his players into a team, and making them buy into working with and for each other.
That is Wayne's great strength, and what would make almost any team under him, a top 8 proposition.

But WB is far from infallible, hasn't adapted to the game's evolution since the 90's, and when you look at the players he's had at the clubs he coached in the last 2 decades, especially the Broncos, really hasn't achieved as much as he should have.

I think Henjak could have been a gun coach if he wasn't such a poor man manager. He became our assistant coach in 2006, and for the next 3 years we've had 2 really good seasons, and one season where we had half of our salary cap on the sidelines midway through the year, and still managed to play with a lot of heart. This was all after 3 years of disappointment and "slumps".

No he didn't

iirc we offered him a scholarship/2nd tier (or something) + had Priddis (and subsequently signed Swain) whereas Melbourne offered an actual playing contract

You must be too young to remember the days of "Henjak ball" and "Hook ball". Look it up in your history books. I'll take Bennett ball for another twenty years if he's willing.

There was nothing wrong with Henjak ball when the players decided to stop being sooks and put in the effort and play some footy. It was quite entertaining, actually.

We could actually learn quite a bit from Henjak ball.. Like how to take advantage of edge defenders rushing up and putting in grubbers for the wingers.

I don't understand the "Bennett ball is crap" mentality from people. "Bennett ball" is the fundamentals of rugby league, ruck it up, kick to the corner, defend and repeat. A good forward pack laying the platform and defense wins the game.

This is how he always has been and always will be. Sure it's not as pretty as throw it around and see what happens ala The Jets, but that just style just wouldn't work in the nrl.

Give me "Bennett ball" any day of the week. The storm are quite similar I feel, just doing the basics to 100% and the points do come.

Oh and Ash Taylor would be huge for us going forward. Make it happen Broncs!

iirc we offered him a scholarship/2nd tier (or something) + had Priddis (and subsequently signed Swain) whereas Melbourne offered an actual playing contract

So...in effect. Passed on him.

I don't understand the "Bennett ball is crap" mentality from people. "Bennett ball" is the fundamentals of rugby league, ruck it up, kick to the corner, defend and repeat. A good forward pack laying the platform and defense wins the game.

This is how he always has been and always will be. Sure it's not as pretty as throw it around and see what happens ala The Jets, but that just style just wouldn't work in the nrl.

Give me "Bennett ball" any day of the week. The storm are quite similar I feel, just doing the basics to 100% and the points do come.

The Bennett ball frustration comes from the one dimensional one off the ruck hit ups which we continue to do despite getting smashed by three defenders. A two pass or playing off the half would be as effective but we just keep doing the same thing and it's all about effort and no variety. This, IMO, has as much to do with our late season fade outs as SoO. It's too physical to maintain throughout the year and whilst I 100% agree with the necessity of doing the basics it is as boring as batshit to watch.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...s/news-story/a84a1c8f1b11d30ad79505a1be3e73e1[/QUOTE]
You would have thought that when making the decision to let Taylor go, that WB had a fairly good indication from Hunt that he wasn't going anywhere.

F*ck him.

Maybe
The Bennett ball frustration comes from the one dimensional one off the ruck hit ups which we continue to do despite getting smashed by three defenders. A two pass or playing off the half would be as effective but we just keep doing the same thing and it's all about effort and no variety. This, IMO, has as much to do with our late season fade outs as SoO. It's too physical to maintain throughout the year and whilst I 100% agree with the necessity of doing the basics it is as boring as batshit to watch.

Yeah with a smaller and more mobile pack we should be shifting the ball more.

Especially when our forward pack size isn't suited to the one out hit ups. Plus our halves haven't been able to consistently kick to the corners with a decent kick chase as well. Bennett ball worked with the likes of webcke and petro then locky could send down the kicks.

He should be our left centre but unfortunately, that doesn't seem like ever happening.

I wouldn't have thought Oates would be cut out for the centres, for mine he doesn't have the lateral movement required to cope with opposing players changing direction on him as many good centres do. He's always seemed a little flatfooted to me, which is pretty normal considering he is such a big unit. I also don't know that he has a pass, we obviously don't see it much from him on the wing......I could be wrong.

So...in effect. Passed on him.

I think this story has been covered here before, but for those who don't know.

Smith was approached by both Storm and Broncos in 2000. Both offered deals. Broncos deal in fact was more financially, but the path to NRL at that stage was a blocked with a number of Hookers in front of him.

The opportunity to play NRL was greater at the Storm, so he took that opportunity.

Bennett didn't pass on him, in fact it was the opposite, even having Cam and his family over for dinner! Bennett and Cyril rated him and wanted him.

That's not even close to reality. We do the basics well, defend well, play for each other, etc... but that's where the comparison ends.
The dynamic of the Storm in attack, the set plays, the players in motion, etc... is completely different to what Bennett teams do. We have individual quality and talent saving us more often than not. The Storm have a varied attack game plan and structure to complement their individual talent.

That's not even close to reality. We do the basics well, defend well, play for each other, etc... but that's where the comparison ends.
The dynamic of the Storm in attack, the set plays, the players in motion, etc... is completely different to what Bennett teams do. We have individual quality and talent saving us more often than not. The Storm have a varied attack game plan and structure to complement their individual talent.
They also have one of the greatest ever players leading their attack, alongside one of the great halfbacks of the last 15 years and one of the great fullbacks. That's a pretty big bonus, good coaching or not.

I think this story has been covered here before, but for those who don't know.

Smith was approached by both Storm and Broncos in 2000. Both offered deals. Broncos deal in fact was more financially, but the path to NRL at that stage was a blocked with a number of Hookers in front of him.

The opportunity to play NRL was greater at the Storm, so he took that opportunity.

Bennett didn't pass on him, in fact it was the opposite, even having Cam and his family over for dinner! Bennett and Cyril rated him and wanted him.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Active Now

• broncoscope
  • Fitzy
  • Santa
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Wolfie
  • Galah
  • Xzei
  • Financeguy
  • Bucking Beads
  • lynx000
  • GCBRONCO
  • Justwin
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.