2. Tafoua - Great winger who probably should have played for NSW this year
3. Matai - NZ
4. Lyon - NSW, Aus
5. Williams - NSW i think
6. Foran - NZ player and one of the best young talents
7. DCE - QLD, Aus and probably the hottest talent around
8. Kite - NSW, Aus
9. Ballin - QLD player and probably third best hooker in the game
11. Wotmough - NSW, AUS player and probably one of the best backrowers in the game
12. Stewart - NSW, Aus

They also have King who is injured who has played for NSW.

Add King and only one player has not played for state or country.

Cant see how they could affoard to pay DCE anymore then his is already on.

Honestly, you could do a similar list for the 2013 Broncos squad, listing Hoffman, JYY, Reed, Hodges, Prince, Wallace, Hannant, Thaiday, Parker, Gillette, Glenn would not look absurdly different if we include against Kite, Ballin and Williams.

Look at Manly's bench for the GF, that is the salary cap offset for their star players.

Re: Rumour - Daly Cherry-Evans to Brisbane Broncos

Honestly, you could do a similar list for the 2013 Broncos squad, listing Hoffman, JYY, Reed, Hodges, Prince, Wallace, Hannant, Thaiday, Parker, Gillette, Glenn would not look absurdly different if we include against Kite, Ballin and Williams.

Look at Manly's bench for the GF, that is the salary cap offset for their star players.
Glad a Bronco fan can see this, it's why league fans have been questioning the Broncos cap for many years

Glad a Bronco fan can see this, it's why league fans have been questioning the Broncos cap for many years

My point was the majority of the players i listed for Manly are still playing rep footy or close to it.

The Broncos should only have Hodges, Thaiday (who IMO is crap ATM but seems to get picked no matter how shit he plays) and Parker. Hoffman and Glen might play a game or two for NZ but I cant see them playing the big games unless injuries occur.

Prince LOL, Wallace LOL, Gillet on his day but hasnt been that good lately and Hannant hasnt looked like playing rep footy.
I'd say Kite, Ballin and Williams are better players then the ones mentioned above with the exception of Gillet on his day. Ballin is a very very good player.

Lyon, B. Stewart, Foran, Wotmough and DCE are better then any player we have IMO.
Matai and G. Stewart are on par with Hodges and Parker.

Of our players, only Thaiday & Hodges can claim to have had extended periods of success. Parker's been great but has only really been recognised recently (and manages his contracts himself & never even spoke to anyone but the Broncos). Gillett is still young & has been a surprise inclusion for Qld. Hannant has only ever been a fringe rep player and has gone backwards over the last few years. Glenn & Hoffman have been lucky to be selected due to injury etc.

As for Manly, the answer still stands - who have they shed? Looking at their '08 GF team, they still have both Stewart's, Matai, Williams, Lyon, Kite, Ballin, Watmough, & King. Their biggest losses were Beaver & Bell. Arguably their halves of Foran & DCE are even better than when Lyon & Orford led them around.

That's the thing, everyone has rep players these days and how good someone is playing doesn't have anything to do with how much they're getting paid necessarily. The key point is, every team that's been successful in the last ten years has lost star players, not just fringe players like Manly has, especially when young stars emerge as well, yet many has lost what, three? One of which being basically a retiree. How?

And no team aside from maybe Melbourne and Souths have anything close to the third party options we do so that argument doesn't carry a lot of weight.

According to ZeroTackle, DCE is on 500k per year, Foran is on 650k and B. Stewart is on 600k, not too sure on the accuracy but if those figures come even close to the real sum then that's a lot of cap tied up in those 3 players alone. With Lyon about to re-sign and G. Stewart's heavily back-ended deal plus pay rises for some of the younger stars wouldn't Manly's cap be totally fucked?

Source: Manly Sea Eagles | NRL | Zero Tackle

Surely they'll either be losing a lot of the smaller paid players over the off-season or one player on a lot of coin, I know which one I'm hoping for.

According to ZeroTackle, DCE is on 500k per year, Foran is on 650k and B. Stewart is on 600k, not too sure on the accuracy but if those figures come even close to the real sum then that's a lot of cap tied up in those 3 players alone. With Lyon about to re-sign and G. Stewart's heavily back-ended deal plus pay rises for some of the younger stars wouldn't Manly's cap be totally ****ed?

Surely they'll either be losing a lot of the smaller paid players over the off-season or one player on a lot of coin, I know which one I'm hoping for.
Seems like we Could offer more.

Does anyone seriously believe Manly will let DCE go, and in doing so, lose not only the best half in the game bar none, and break up the best halves pairing in the world bar none?

If you ask me, Manly lost the GF cos their dad's army just couldn't match it with the Roosters pack of young monsters. Sounds to me like they will shed some, if not most of them them before parting with DCE

As far as I am concerned, this rumour, like Milford, is a dud. Fun, but hardly to be taken seriously.

We should be focusing on developing Taylor and/or Strasser as our version of DCE and/or Foran, and let Bushman put his abacus back in his school desk

Last edited:

Prince - No longer a rep star when signed by Brisbane
YowYeh - Injured shortly after rep debut
Reed - England rep, barely even counts.
Wallace - A few games for NSW before being dropped on his nuts?
Glenn/Hoffman - NZ reps generally demand less than Aussie reps due to lack of Origin.

That leaves Hodges, Thaiday, Hannant and Parker..

Thaiday, Over paid anyway
Parker - Under appreciated until this season on the rep scene, could only recently be classed as a rep player.
Hodges - Injuries and lack of game time surely cuts his contract back, would be silly if he was actually on anything close to other rep stars.
Hannant - struggles for form and selection.

There are now 3 things in life to be certain about.
Taxes
Death
And DCE is not coming to the Broncos

End of thread.

According to ZeroTackle, DCE is on 500k per year, Foran is on 650k and B. Stewart is on 600k, not too sure on the accuracy but if those figures come even close to the real sum then that's a lot of cap tied up in those 3 players alone. With Lyon about to re-sign and G. Stewart's heavily back-ended deal plus pay rises for some of the younger stars wouldn't Manly's cap be totally fucked?

Foran re-signed back in 2012 before the massive cap upgrade - no way in hell is he on 650k in a team with consistent cap troubles. Even going by 2013's cap those figures seem dodgy as all hell. Even if we assume that their 18-25 are on the minimum wage (75k) it would mean that the other 14 best paid Manly players:
- Lyon
- Watmough
- Ballin
- G Stewart
- Matai
- Kite
- Williams
- Taufua
- Lawrence
- King
- Galuvao
- Buhrer
- Horo
- Rose
Average a total of....200k. So I'm pretty sure those figures, especially Foran on 650k, are just bad guesses.

There are now 3 things in life to be certain about.
Taxes
Death
And DCE is not coming to the Broncos

End of thread.

I think you may be right ..... about all 3 :wink:

I'd love nothing more than to have DCE lining up at halfback for us ....

... but i just can't see any way that Manly would ever let him go.

Prince - No longer a rep star when signed by Brisbane
YowYeh - Injured shortly after rep debut
Reed - England rep, barely even counts.
Wallace - A few games for NSW before being dropped on his nuts?
Glenn/Hoffman - NZ reps generally demand less than Aussie reps due to lack of Origin.

That leaves Hodges, Thaiday, Hannant and Parker..

Thaiday, Over paid anyway
Parker - Under appreciated until this season on the rep scene, could only recently be classed as a rep player.
Hodges - Injuries and lack of game time surely cuts his contract back, would be silly if he was actually on anything close to other rep stars.
Hannant - struggles for form and selection.

same goes for Manlys rep players though, some haven't played rep in years, were lucky to, kiwi reps and even listed an up and comer in which case McGuire should be named in Brisbanes list. Then have Barba added to your squad, Milf who is the best up and comer supposedly about to sign, chasing DCE and Smith. Whether you agree or not surely you can understand why league fans question it just like some here are questioning Manly

They would be stupid to let him go without a fight, but the decision may be out of their hands. Regardless of rumours where most journos claim that every contract negotiation of a big player includes under-the-table dealings, you can't keep them all. There are 4 big names, all in the mix of 'can they keep them'. BStewart was almost without a contract just days out from the start of the season. They simply couldn't fit him in, yet there was no explanation when they actually did. Lyon is unsigned for next year. GStewart is being shopped, but even if someone takes him the difference in value from his back-ended contract will have to be carried on Manly's cap anyway. Which leaves DCE. Yes he's signed for 2 more years but he is absolutely guaranteed to be paid the same if not more by any potential suitor. Therefore they can cut ties to immediately release the cap pressure without having to carry any residual value. For me, it's between him & Lyon as to who they'll have to let go. Would they ditch the captain?

Foran re-signed back in 2012 before the massive cap upgrade - no way in hell is he on 650k in a team with consistent cap troubles.

If you remember Foran signed a unique deal that didn't actually put a set price on the contract but rather he gets a certain a % of the salary cap, so as the cap rises so does his pay. he could well be on 650k now. it was a smart move on his part with the at the time rumoured cap increases

If you remember Foran signed a unique deal that didn't actually put a set price on the contract but rather he gets a certain a % of the salary cap, so as the cap rises so does his pay. he could well be on 650k now. it was a smart move on his part with the at the time rumoured cap increases

Good point. If you think about it, if they were playing for 'unders' then the first thing they'd all do is get their manager to insert the cap rise clause. You wouldn't cop unders if the cap goes up and you can all enjoy that extra money. So any future cap rises would technically already be eaten up.

The hypothesis that the Stewart brothers are pissed because they've been playing for Manly for years, then this young upstart comes in and is getting big money thrown at him, sounds plausible. Regardless of the fact that he's worth it, they seem like a couple of self-important bros who act like they own a piece of Manly, someone intruding on their turf would get their backs up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• Dee
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Redux
  • Behind enemy lines
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Galah
  • Locky24
  • bazza
  • Painin the Haas
  • Broncorob
  • Xarr
  • Justwin
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.