Daly Cherry-Evans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Rumour - Daly Cherry-Evans to Brisbane Broncos

The Stewart brothers would, IMO, be pissed mainly because retaining DCE means one of them will have to go. Not to mention I believe he wants the captaincy and no doubt the Stewarts think that one of them should get it given their long service to the club,

There are now 3 things in life to be certain about.
Taxes
Death
And DCE is not coming to the Broncos

End of thread.
I have to agree with this. He is not coming, end the pipedream.

Prince - No longer a rep star when signed by Brisbane
YowYeh - Injured shortly after rep debut
Reed - England rep, barely even counts.
Wallace - A few games for NSW before being dropped on his nuts?
Glenn/Hoffman - NZ reps generally demand less than Aussie reps due to lack of Origin.

That leaves Hodges, Thaiday, Hannant and Parker..

Thaiday, Over paid anyway
Parker - Under appreciated until this season on the rep scene, could only recently be classed as a rep player.
Hodges - Injuries and lack of game time surely cuts his contract back, would be silly if he was actually on anything close to other rep stars.
Hannant - struggles for form and selection.

Would still be a great team in AP's eyes based on the amount of rep players we've got

That's the thing, everyone has rep players these days and how good someone is playing doesn't have anything to do with how much they're getting paid necessarily. The key point is, every team that's been successful in the last ten years has lost star players, not just fringe players like Manly has, especially when young stars emerge as well, yet many has lost what, three? One of which being basically a retiree. How?

And no team aside from maybe Melbourne and Souths have anything close to the third party options we do so that argument doesn't carry a lot of weight.

They couldn't compete with the bulldogs for Williams. In hindsight they are probably very glad they didn't.

The thing with Manly is that while they haven't lost many gun players they haven't exactly been in the market throwing money at players either. Their good players, except for Lyon, have pretty much developed themselves at the club. That means they haven't had to pay overs to convince a player to leave another club to put their team together.

They have also recruited intelligently/lucky with the likes of Horo and Symonds.

They are losing Kite, Gnulavau (sp) and Rose for next season on the back of Lussick and Williams last year. Their forward depth is pretty thin for next year. Once Lyon retires and the Stewarts are in their twilight they will rebuild like every other team.

If you remember Foran signed a unique deal that didn't actually put a set price on the contract but rather he gets a certain a % of the salary cap, so as the cap rises so does his pay. he could well be on 650k now. it was a smart move on his part with the at the time rumoured cap increases
The cap only increased 17% this year with a lot of that extra space going to the 36% increase in the minimum wage. 650k in 2013 is still more than 550k in 2012 percentage-wise and it doesn't change the math I posted before for this year's cap - no way in hell are those 14 players averaging 200k which means that Foran, DCE and B Stewart were on far less than 1.75M this year. Foran's good, but he's not good enough to command 550k+ in 2012 with a cap-linked mandatory raise.

The cap only increased 17% this year with a lot of that extra space going to the 36% increase in the minimum wage. 650k in 2013 is still more than 550k in 2012 percentage-wise and it doesn't change the math I posted before for this year's cap - no way in hell are those 14 players averaging 200k which means that Foran, DCE and B Stewart were on far less than 1.75M this year. Foran's good, but he's not good enough to command 550k+ in 2012 with a cap-linked mandatory raise.

Or...
cooking+the+books.jpg

Whoa . That's good. Very good.

Hasler tried desperately to get Foran so Manly may well have had to pay more than they wanted to keep him. Also Foran will get the captaincy before Cherry-Evans

But Melbourne don't recruit stars either and look how many they have had to let go. Something just doesn't add up.

Are you guys serious? You actually think Manly is rorting the cap?

Their cap definitely is dodgy. But they could be in a similar situation as us. Most of our players get paid much less than they're worth. If our cap is dodgy btw why didn't we make the eight. Look at our page on zerotackle btw. See why we can afford all this. So far with this seasons trades we are in a better position than last year. The cap is going up. We also already had tons of cap space. Apart from possibly thaiday 350k is our highest paid player under the cap.

I'm definitely not saying that. I'm saying the zerotackle figures are way off, because if they were true Manly would have to be over the cap. Given the scrutiny applied to the registration of B Stewart's most recent contract I think it's safe to say they don't have much wiggle room though.

Their cap definitely is dodgy. But they could be in a similar situation as us. Most of our players get paid much less than they're worth. If our cap is dodgy btw why didn't we make the eight. Look at our page on zerotackle btw. See why we can afford all this. So far with this seasons trades we are in a better position than last year. The cap is going up. We also already had tons of cap space. Apart from possibly thaiday 350k is our highest paid player under the cap.

So just to confirm, you do believe that Manly are rorting the cap? If so, your opininon in my eyes just took a spiral nose dive.

I don't know if they are rorting the cap yet, but if they don't shed players this off season, they will be, in order to maintain and/or upgrade their stars.
I don't think losing Kite and Rose will do much to alleviate their situation either, although credit where it's due, their recruitment and development has been excellent of late, picking up fairly cheap players like Horo, or bringing out players like Jorge Taufua, who then do a really good job for them.

Still, their player core of Foran, DCE, Lyon, both Stewarts & Watamong, is definitely starting to reek, like the Melbourne big 4 did...

I believe that they are tight as buggery with it. If they don't release any of the big players, then I will be of the opinion that they have retained them through illegal means.

I don't think they are rorting the cap ... but i do think their cap has to be buldging (as evidenced with the dramas surrounding Stewarts contract at the start of the season.)

So it also leads me to believe unless they release a fairly highly paid player, they won't have the money to offer DCE a big upgrade, especially if they are also offering Lyon a new deal (possibly also upgraded)

I just can't get my head around the possibility that Manly will let go of arguably the best half in the world.

Would we have let Alfie or Locky go if we were in the same position?

Did Alf or Locky want to go? Buddy franklin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• Dee
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Redux
  • Behind enemy lines
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Galah
  • Locky24
  • bazza
  • Painin the Haas
  • Broncorob
  • Xarr
  • Justwin
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.