NEWS Darius Boyd turns Broncos vegan in bid for premiership glory

TLDR: Shut the **** up Boyd

Darius

The outrage on here at Boyd watching a Netflix documentary, telling his teammates about it and them some of them watching it, is hilarious and embarrassing all at the same time.

I think we have found a lot of the outrage junkies Mike Colman is talking about on BHQ. There is absolutely no evidence at all he is trying to push it on the whole squad. According to Oates, he suggested a vegan lifestyle. Unless he is a Jedi, i doubt he can use some kind of mind trick to turn everyone Vegan.

I dont know if Vegan is good or bad. I can find as many arguments for it as against it. I'd say its going to be down to the individual if it works for them. Plenty of elite athletes are vegan and plenty arent. You do what work for you.

Seems important enough for the club to release a statement basically telling him to can it.

That's the Journalist saying that isn't it?

Yes, that is the journalist saying it. Which is why I asked for clarification from the people who claim to be in-the-know movers and shakers at Red Hill when they're not busy posting here, because I wanted to know if it was accurate or not.

Seems important enough for the club to release a statement basically telling him to can it.

When the original story came out they didnt. I'm not really even getting why they even felt the need to release that statement in the first place. Not one person has come out and said the whole squad is going vegan. Its a pure beat up and for some reason people are buying into it.

If you changed Darius Boyd for Alex Glenn in this story nobody would have taken a blind bit of notice. Apart from probably using it as another stick to beat Boyd with by saying he should go vegan to improve his game.
[automerge]1573712012[/automerge]
More to do with appeasing their meat sponsor/s I’d say.

As soon as i read the statement, and i particular the part about the meat suppliers, that was the first thing that came to mind.

Last edited:
When the original story came out they didnt. I'm not really even getting why they even felt the need to release that statement in the first place. Not one person has come out and said the whole squad is going vegan. Its a pure beat up and for some reason people are buying into it.

If you changed Darius Boyd for Alex Glenn in this story nobody would have taken a blind bit of notice. Apart from probably using it as another stick to beat Boyd with by saying he should go vegan to improve his game.
[automerge]1573712012[/automerge]

As soon as i read the statement, and i particular the part about the meat suppliers, that was the first thing that came to mind.
I would have. Except it wasn't Alex Glenn that said it, it was Darius Boyd. Going vegan is a remarkably stupid idea for a professional RL player no matter who it is. Nobody else in the comp let alone a supposed captain is that stupid to do it let alone reccommend it to the entire young and impressionable squad. And no this wasn't about appeasing their meat supplier, they didn't even name them.

I would have. Except it wasn't Alex Glenn that said it, it was Darius Boyd. Going vegan is a remarkably stupid idea for a professional RL player no matter who it is. Nobody else in the comp let alone a supposed captain is that stupid to do it let alone reccommend it to the entire young and impressionable squad. And no this wasn't about appeasing their meat supplier, they didn't even name them.

It could literally be he watched it, told them about the documentary and then durr brain Oates gets a fucking camera in his face and said yeah boydy's telling everyone to do it.

It could literally be he watched it, told them about the documentary and then durr brain Oates gets a fucking camera in his face and said yeah boydy's telling everyone to do it.

“Darbs watched the video and he suggested it (a vegan lifestyle),”

Didn't TPJ already say he gave it a go? And Patrick Carrigan?

2 young forwards going vegan....brilliant idea.

Last edited:
As much as I wanna see the back of Darry B, I gotta say this is a massive, non-event beat-up! It must be a real slow news day in the world of NRL and at the Brisbane Broncos club. Why the hell did they feel the need to release such a ridiculous statement. Even if Boyd is telling players about his crazy vegan aspirations, these blokes are grown men and can just tell Darius to take a hike and beat it.

Was this expert nutrition group
Brisbane Broncos' Club Statement - Nutrition Program
Authorbroncos.com.auTimestampThu 14 Nov 2019, 11:12 AM
Share on social media
The Brisbane Broncos have today made it clear they do not use a so-called vegan-type diet in the club’s nutrition program.
Coach Anthony Seibold said the Broncos’ coaching staff had never considered the implementation of a diet that did not include meat for the players.
“We do not endorse or use a diet of this type in our program,” said Seibold

“And we will not be adopting any approach similar to this kind of diet.
“The Broncos have full-time dietary staff whose important function is to monitor what the players eat, as it is vitally important to our training and development program.
“We also have some high-quality meat suppliers that we value enormously as part of our program.
“If individuals choose this approach that is totally fine for them to make that choice, just as it is if someone gave up a type of food because of religious or ethical beliefs.
“But any suggestion the club would be embarking on a vegan-type approach to player nutrition would be totally incorrect.”

TLDR: Shut the **** up Boyd

Did these fulltime dietary staff monitor the free Maccas card, usage?

The idea they have paid fulltime nutritionists AND gave out free Maccas cards to the playing group is absolutely frickin ridiculous...

I wouldn't know who is or isn't a vegan in the NRL, but i'm not convinced its a bad idea either, I'd have to really look into it, and the internet is full of misinformation so where do you start? For every argument against it, you will find one for it. Just because you don't agree with it doesn't mean its not a valid option for some people. Plenty of top sportsmen around the world are vegan, including blokes who pack on the muscle so its not like it would effect blokes who need a bit of size. Its all about doing your research before you go into it. Its the same as anything, if you dont go into it with the right information, it can become harmful. I know for example, Lionel Messi, one of the best footballers on the planet goes vegan during the football season.

And he hasnt recommended it either. He suggested it. There is a difference between a suggestion and recommendation. You aren't stupid, you would know that. If this squad is that stupid as to blindly follow any suggestion made to them without looking into it then its no wonder we are in a bit of a mess. I think thats how Cronulla ended up in the sights of ASADA.

The anti Boyd bridage will just get at him for anything instead of just critiquing his performances on the field.

Last edited:
I wouldn't know who is or isn't a vegan in the NRL, but i'm not convinced its a bad idea either, I'd have to really look into it, and the internet is full of misinformation so where do you start? For every argument against it, you will find one for it. Just because you don't agree with it doesn't mean its not a valid option for some people. Plenty of top sportsmen around the world are vegan, including blokes who pack on the muscle so its not like it would effect blokes who need a bit of size. Its all about doing your research before you go into it. Its the same as anything, if you dont go into it with the right information, it can become harmful. I know for example, Lionel Messi, one of the best footballers on the planet goes vegan during the football season.

And he hasnt recommended it either. He suggested it. There is a difference between a suggestion and recommendation. You aren't stupid, you would know that. If this squad is that stupid as to blindly follow any suggestion made to them without looking into it then its no wonder we are in a bit of a mess. I think thats how Cronulla ended up in the sights of ASADA.

The anti Boyd bridage will just get at him for anything instead of just critiquing his performances on the field.

You are really gonna compare a soccer player to a RL player.....ok.
He hasn't reccommended it, he suggested it......world of difference there. Pretty sure those 2 words have a very similar meaning. How can you be certain he didn't reccommend it? He apparently "suggested" it to the entire squad. If you go and "suggest" something to 30 odd people then would it surprise you if people misconstrued it as reccommending it? Sounds like a glowing endorsement to me.

I will get at him for an idea as stupid as this one, thank you.

I find it pretty ridiculous the club released a statement on that. Really? Why?
In Brisbane veganism is popular pathway to the Extinction Rebellion group. Scared some of the more easily influenced get mixed up with the wrong crowd.

You are really gonna compare a soccer player to a RL player.....ok.
He hasn't reccommended it, he suggested it......world of difference there. Pretty sure those 2 words have a very similar meaning. How can you be certain he didn't reccommend it? He apparently "suggested" it to the entire squad. If you go and "suggest" something to 30 odd people then would it surprise you if people misconstrued it as reccommending it? Sounds like a glowing endorsement to me.

I will get at him for an idea as stupid as this one, thank you.

You have to be kidding me that a suggestion and recommendation are practically the same. They aren't. A suggestion is more a " hey, have a look at this " sort of thing. A recommendation is more when you tell somebody out of a number of choices, this one is the best. So yep, absolutely it surprised me anyone with a bit of intelligence would confuse the two. Maybe thats just me and my Asbergers, but i think its fairly black and white.

From the article, along with quotes from Corey Oates, there is nothing to say he has been pushing it onto the entire squad, nothing to say he said " go vegan, its the best choice out there for you " I'm also more than fairly confident he hasn't recommended it. You are saying i cant be certain, which i cant if you are talking about the entire squad that he recommended it, but how do you know he has gone around our whole 30 man roster and said " hey, go vegan, its great ". You cant. Nowhere in the article does it say he did suggest it to the entire squad. All the Corey Oates quote says is he suggested it and it started getting around the club. Not to specific players, not to all the players, he just suggested it. Corey himself even says he only heard Darius is trying it. He hasnt mentioned Boyd went to him directly to suggest it.

And yes, i am going to compare a footballer ( and other athletes ) to an NRL player. Just because all footballers arent built like NRL forwards it doesnt mean they arent physically strong and fit. Most footballers are probably a lot fitter in terms of the amount of running they do in a game. It depends what you are trying to compare though between different athletes. Endurance? Strength? What is it? Tom Brady lives a mostly Vegan lifestyle, and he has played at the top level of a physical sport until he was 42. NRL players arent the be all and end all of an argument into if vegan is good or bad. Like i said, its down to the individual. What works for say Lionel Messi might not work for Cristiano Ronaldo. What works for Nate Diaz might not work for GSP.

Last edited:

Active Now

• Broncosarethebest
  • Porthoz
  • Johnny92
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Lozza
  • lynx000
  • bert_lifts
  • Alec
  • Pablo
  • BroncosAlways
  • ChewThePhatt
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.