Discussion about Wayne Bennett

Not if his succession plan works out. It should be a smooth transition from WB to Locky with WB stepping back to a coaching directors role.

Dexter said:
Not if his succession plan works out. It should be a smooth transition from WB to Locky with WB stepping back to a coaching directors role.
i dunno about you, but id *kinda* like to see Lockyer finish his playing career, have some time off, and coach some kids/reserve grade for a few years before we start talking about him coaching the Broncos. so maybe in around 2018 or so?

Anonymous person said:
Dexter said:
i dunno about you, but id *kinda* like to see Lockyer finish his playing career, have some time off, and coach some kids/reserve grade for a few years before we start talking about him coaching the Broncos. so maybe in around 2018 or so?

Fully agree. If Hook is going to be as successful as I think he'll be, the Broncos shouldn't be looking for a new coach for a while, giving Locky plenty of time to complete his "coaching degree".

Agree here as well, just pointing out it wouldn't necessarily be disruptive.

Anonymous person said:
Dexter said:

^^^ This

I am not yetconvinced that Lockyer will make a good coach in any case (the great players rarely do); but if it's what he wants to do, then I'd like to see this kind of process followed and preferrably with an "apprenticship" outside of the Broncos system

Flutterby said:
I am not yetconvinced that Lockyer will make a good coach in any case (the great players rarely do);

Me either, but it seems like most people think it's a given that he'll be a good, maybe even great, coach. I wish him all the best and hope he is, but if he's not, I hope he doesn't tarnish his reputation at the broncos in his attempt. I know it's looking a long way forward, but I hope it never gets to the point where they have to sack him. It just wouldn't feel right the broncos sacking Lockyer, whether he be a player or a coach.

I'm not convinced Locky will be a great coach, but I don't doubt it's possible either, and perhaps even likely.

Coaching requires a different skill set to playing, but there's no reason that Locky cannot be great at both, it's just that there's no guarantee that great player must equal great coach.

So I would not base my belief that Locky will be a great coach on the basis of his great playing ability, but I would find some confidence that he will be a great coach because the greatest coach of our time (WB) thinks he will - and I have to admit he knows more about this stuff than I do :)

This entire post of course assumes that WB does think that Locky will make a great a coach, which I think is the case, but happy to be corrected!

If Locky is to coach the Broncos, make sure it's when all the players that has been at the Broncos have retired.

Kaz said:
If Locky is to coach the Broncos, make sure it's when all the players that has been at the Broncos have retired.

So in 15yrs after Hoffman plays 17seasons

Whilst I do agree we don't know how Lockyer will go as coach or if it will ever happens it seems as though we are so keen to just right him off.

I knew nothing about Griffin before he was given the job as head coach for this season, from what I have heard from him I think he will be a great coach.

Bucking Beads said:
Whilst I do agree we don't know how Lockyer will go as coach or if it will ever happens it seems as though we are so keen to just right him off.

I don't think anyone is writing off Lockyer as a potentially good or great coach. What people are doing is looking at how few really champion players become good or great coaches LONG term.

Part of that depends on what you consider a champion player, but for argument's sake let's put the list of recent (last 30 years) champion players who have coached an NRL club, and their teams, to be:

Wally Lewis (Gold Coast)
Ricky Stuart (Roosters, Sharks)
Brad Fittler (Roosters)
Mal Meninga (Canberra)
Bob Fulton (Manly)

Of those, only Fulton and Stuart won titles, which is really the benchmark of coaching at club level. However, Stuart's performances went down hill after 3 strong first years, and he hasn't looked like improving lately. And his teams play anything but the fluent, attacking style of play he was known for as a player.

Meninga was pretty awful with Canberra.
Lewis was abysmal.

Fulton won a couple of premierships and Manly were quite strong consistently throughout his time as coach, so I think by far he's the benchmark for a great player (an immortal) and great coach.

Note: I was pretty strict on what I considered a champion player. Guys like David Furner, John Cartwright, Terry Lamb, Tommy Raudonikis, Des Hasler, Paul Langmack, Steve Folkes, John Lang - very good players in their own rights, but you wouldn't call them champions.

Yes I know, Champion players have a history of being no good as coached. It just seems that we are saying no before he even has a crack. Remember Lockyer is not just some guy

My confidence in Lockyer is based on his ability to rally the team around him, his organisational capacity on the field, and his charisma.
Besides, it's all to do with how he comes across when he's interviewed. Unlike the Fittlers and even Meningas of this world, he can actually articulate sensible answers and opinions without abusing the usual common places.

Having said that, an apprenticeship under Benny, who could give him that edge in the personnel management area and teach him how to truly unite a group of players into a one for all, all for one team.

Just because some or even many have failed, it does not mean Locky will.

I've said it before, there are a few examples in other sports where this has been a success. Guardiola anyone?

The biggest issue is that he's played his entire career at the Broncos.
He doesn't know any way of doing things other than what he's experienced here.
I'd much prefer him coach 2-3 Superleague/QRL teams prior to even being an assistant here.

dukey said:
I'd much prefer him coach 2-3 Superleague/QRL teams prior to even being an assistant here.

I think everyone who wants him to be the Broncos Coach really wants him to do a proper apprenticeship. 2 years at QLD cup level at the very least IMO.

dukey said:

Bingo.

I'm sure the Broncos will send him overseas and expose him to other things but at the end of the day, I would also want him to see RL from a different perspective... FIRSTHAND.

dukey said:
So what, Guardiola played his entire career at Barcelona.
He went from player to head coach with a very short stint as assistant and they are now only the best club team in the world!

Porthoz said:
dukey said:
So what, Guardiola played his entire career at Barcelona.
He went from player to head coach with a very short stint as assistant and they are now only the best club team in the world!

Yes but that's soccer. Rugby league is an infinitely more strategic and skilful game with far more factors to consider than just kicking a ball back and forth for 90 minutes.

Active Now

• ChewThePhatt
  • Allo
  • IceWorks
  • Fitzy
  • Xzei
  • eazy-duzzit
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.