Drugs in sport - government investigation

Put up or shut up ACC, everyone is under suspicion and they need to end it now - name names.

If they don't they're just fishing.

Why would they name names before giving people a chance to come forward?

Why would they name names before giving people a chance to come forward?

Why should they have the chance to come forward? These disgusting p****s have bought there codes into disrepute and cast a cloud over the entire sporting landscape in Australia, they deserve nothing. They deserve to be named and shamed and be banished from the world of professional sport, that's all the deserve

Looks like Wayne agrees with me

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...ut-up-or-shut-up/story-e6frg6n6-1226573915069

Bennett tells drugs investigators to put up or shut up

by: Andrew Webster
February 09, 2013 12:00AM

WAYNE Bennett has turned the finger of blame directly back on doping authorities in the wake of yesterday's disturbing drug allegations, asking: "If we've got the drug problems we've had, what's the drug agency been doing?''

Speaking before the NRL All Stars' final training run at Suncorp Stadium last night, Bennett questioned why the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority was not being scrutinised following the Australian Crime Commission's report that claimed "widespread'' use of illegal substances.

"That's my beef with this - if we've got the drug problems we've had, well, what's the drug agency been doing?'' an angry Bennett said of ASADA.

"We pay them a lot of money to come into our sport. We made a lot of compromises for them to come into our sport. And now they're telling us we've got a problem.

"I can't detect it, I've got no means to do that. We employ them to do that.''

As announced at Parliament House on Thursday, Sports Minister Kate Lundy has given ASADA increased investigative powers that extends beyond testing.

The NRL pays the anti-doping agency about $500,000 a year to conduct more than 800 urine and blood tests. That does not include the thousands of dollars clubs individually spend on in-house testing.

"ASADA's involvement started some 18 months ago when we were assessing intelligence about the use of peptides and hormones in sport,'' ASADA chief executive Aurora Andruska said last night.

Following Australian sport's "blackest day'', many rugby league stakeholders yesterday struck back.

Penrith general manager Phil Gould told Channel 9: "This report from the Crime Commission is full of words like 'maybe', 'could be', 'suspected' and 'potential'.

"Nobody has been named, no club has been named and no sport has been named. It's a broad-brush condemnation of Australian sport everywhere.

"At the moment, everyone is guilty and I'm not sure, even if they find pockets of illegality, how you repair the integrity of everyone else who is in fact innocent.''

Bennett was equally bemused at the code being broadly smeared from the release of the ACC report.

"That's the tragedy of yesterday (Thursday),'' Bennett said. "We all look like we're on drugs and we're all using illicit substances.

"The shock for me was the way they handled it. They handled it very badly yesterday. There was an opportunity to get some real evidence. To bring the CEOs and get their co-operation.

"There were a lot of accusation, a lot of mud being thrown, obviously they hope some of it will stick.''

Last edited:
Gus Gould typically anti-establishment in his comments on the Today show this morning. "No details in the report, no direct allegations, they've tarnished all Australian sport with no basis"...

I think he should shut his mouth until the DETAILED report is released and the follow up investigations from ASADA and the state and Fed police is complete.

I agree with Gus, until they are prepared to name names say nothing. They have sent the media into a frenzy but have not actually said much that we all didn't suspect.

Yeah, here is a video of the last couple of guys I gave a stern lecture to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Remember we're dealing with organised crime here, so the doping is not the only issue. The reason they're giving people an opportunity to come clean is that they don't want just the users, they want the suppliers and the seedy scum that use these drugs to 'own' the players.

It's already come out that some players have been duped. Given substances that were supposedly legal, then afterwards told that they were dodgy and threatening them with exposure unless they become their personal match fixer. It's how organised crime works, and it's very effective at leveraging the vulnerabilities of decent yet less than street-smart people.

Latest news is buffalo Botha boxer who boxed Sonny money Bill Williams has tested positive to 2 enhancing drugs

The AFL have again beaten League to the punch by naming Essendon as the club involved, they just seem to move faster than us. Also stated that no player involved in the draft is implicated.
http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/...b-under-investigation-afl-20130210-2e69b.html

It's now all on the NRL with 6 clubs involved to react but so far no word from the NRL on who the are. It's very important that they name the clubs ASAP to show a quick reaction and to stop the media tainting every club and player. Although again, 6 clubs in the spotlight, another punch to the guts for League.

They didn't name them, Essendon named themselves before the report was even announced.

The AFL have again beaten League to the punch by naming Essendon as the club involved, they just seem to move faster than us. Also stated that no player involved in the draft is implicated.
http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/...b-under-investigation-afl-20130210-2e69b.html

It's now all on the NRL with 6 clubs involved to react but so far no word from the NRL on who the are. It's very important that they name the clubs ASAP to show a quick reaction and to stop the media tainting every club and player. Although again, 6 clubs in the spotlight, another punch to the guts for League.

And the AFL are notorious for covering up any scandal that might embarrass them. They're pathetic at handling situations like this.

While I agree with the comments on how successful the AFL are at keeping drug breaches in-house, and that their policy of drugs is a farce, in this case they have reacted much quicker than the NRL. http://www.smh.com.au/sport/players-and-clubs-await-naming-of-drug-cheats-20130210-2e6lu.html
"Auditors have been sent to Manly, Cronulla, Penrith and Newcastle, sparking speculation that they are four of the clubs under investigation."

Without wanting to speculate it is curious that more than one high profile player has left one of these clubs in unusual circumstances
"Another player might have switched clubs this season because he was unhappy with what players were being asked to do by the sports science department."

AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.