Finals Scenario

We have just gone toe to toe with the Storm and lost by 1 point. I think if we can be as close with Manly maybe even pinch a win the Broncos will have the confidence to beat anyone come finals time.

No, you went out of your way to be negative. Spwn said IF we were at our best we would beat the Sharks. He didn't say we will win no matter. He was already being realistic.

You just decided to jump in and be extra negative, and it's certainly not for the first time. Realism is fine in debate, but you werent debating a thing, just trolling.

pmsl, another poster embarks on some fantasy flight about the broncos blowing teams off the park at their best no matter what, but I'M the one trolling ?? That's just too funny ...

The broncos have lost five straight games & 10 of their last 14 but how dare I live in the real world by suggesting we tone down predictions of rollicking semi final victories ..

pmsl, another poster embarks on some fantasy flight about the broncos blowing teams off the park at their best no matter what, but I'M the one trolling ?? That's just too funny ...

The broncos have lost five straight games & 10 of their last 14 but how dare I live in the real world by suggesting we tone down predictions of rollicking semi final victories ..

Once again, he said "at their best"... English - do you speak it?

What is this, Horseville? Because I'm surrounded by naysayers..

Once again, he said "at their best"... English - do you speak it?

hey why don't you skip along with the rest of the hens and write about how the refs were mean to the broncos on friday, or post your magical new halves / fullback combination that's going to thrash Manly this week ..

If we were at our best we would have annihilated the dogs and would have easily accounted for the storm. We were well on top until WE dropped off, we let them both back in the game not the other way around.

If we play a full 80 minute performance we can beat Manly but it won't be easy. At our best we've shown we can take the best teams in the competition. There's no fantasy about it. I'm judging by what I've seen we can do and from what I have seen at our best we have the team to beat any team. Whether we do is another thing.

hey why don't you skip along with the rest of the hens and write about how the refs were mean to the broncos on friday, or post your magical new halves / fullback combination that's going to thrash Manly this week ..
So the answer to the "English - do you speak it?" is... No?

Which part of "at their best" did you not understand?

So the answer to the "English - do you speak it?" is... No?

Which part of "at their best" did you not understand?

I understand English fine, champ ...

What I don't really grasp is this "at their best" bit ... because I've seen so little of it in 2012 from this broncos group .. if at all ..

and given where they're currently at, it's a pretty 'pie in the sky' thing to be discussing

Last edited:
yeah mate how dare broncos fans post on a broncos forum about the possibility of their team playing to potential.

I understand what Bull Shark is saying. But at the same time I agree with spwn and what others have said. IF they play to their best they'd be better than the Sharks, but we haven't seen much of the Broncos at their best this year so it's hard to see it happening.

But the form IS improving, so we can hope for another improvement and hopefully jag a win this week. If that happens, huge boost in confidence heading towards the finals, provided they consolidate against Penrith.

Isn't it true that any team that plays 'at its best' is capable of beating any other team in this comp ??..

If Brisbane aim up it is certain they can match it with any other but the Broncs best has been absent for the second half of this season. I take some heart from the last 2 performances and expect another good showing against manly.

The truth is though, if we were discussing any other team (with the same track record and equal eighth on the table) in the same position as we find ourselves now we would be putting a huge red line through them. No way in the world we would be giving them any chance in the finals even if that team were Melbourne.

yeah mate how dare broncos fans post on a broncos forum about the possibility of their team playing to potential.

.. and how dare anyone on this forum suggest the broncos simply aren't good enough at the moment ..

pull your head in ..

I understand English fine, champ ...

What I don't really grasp is this "at their best" bit ... because I've seen so little of it in 2012 from this broncos group .. if at all ..

and given where they're currently at, it's a pretty 'pie in the sky' thing to be discussing
I've seen the Broncos at their best against the Dogs and the Storm in the first 20 to 30 minutes of each game, and I've seen them improve against the Storm, and fight back against the odds, only to be cruelled by a 50/50 ref decision on Hunt's dropped ball.
Consistency is what we are lacking, but we have come a long way back from that atrocious display against Parramatta!

I believe they can get better and achieve a much higher consistent level of footy with the returns of McGuire and Glenn. We only need the bounce of the ball to go our way and a decision to favor us to gain that mental steel we're lacking at the moment.

Is it unrealistic? Not in the least, because the potential is there. It's not like the Sharks, where you can't really expect much more from them, because the potential for it isn't there!

Is that pie in the sky? Not in the sense that it's utopic, but yeah, it's optimistic, which is the way I choose to live my life. Makes me happier to always look at the positive side of things ahead of the negative, instead of always expecting the worse from everything and walk around with a permanent frown on my face...
You on the other hand appear to prefer pessimism for whatever reason, and that's fine, because the disappointment probably won't hurt as much.

Isn't it true that any team that plays 'at its best' is capable of beating any other team in this comp ??..

ah. its a loose term sure. but if manly/melbourne/doggies are in top form i doubt any of the bottom 8 sides can beat them.

if manly are on fire this week i dont see how we beat them, no matter how well we play. if we can come out on the front foot and dominate in the forwards then we can stifle their opportunities and prevent them from getting on top, then we are a chance. if we arent on our game from the very first whistle then i doubt we have much of a hope. our best chance is to lead from the front. i dont see us coming from behind

Last edited:
Yeah if you compared potential I'd say we'd maybe just scrape into the Top 4.

But let's not get it twisted here, at full strength we've got a great forward pack and a bloody good backline. Spine still hasn't sort itself out just yet but no doubt there's raw talent there to beat any of those teams on their day.

I think our chances of winning 2012 are slim to none but a good showing in the finals is still on the cards, especially if we turn it around this weekend.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, it's when you jump all over another poster that it becomes a problem.

I've seen the Broncos at their best against the Dogs and the Storm in the first 20 to 30 minutes of each game, and I've seen them improve against the Storm, and fight back against the odds, only to be cruelled by a 50/50 ref decision on Hunt's dropped ball.
Consistency is what we are lacking, but we have come a long way back from that atrocious display against Parramatta!

I believe they can get better and achieve a much higher consistent level of footy with the returns of McGuire and Glenn. We only need the bounce of the ball to go our way and a decision to favor us to gain that mental steel we're lacking at the moment.

Is it unrealistic? Not in the least, because the potential is there. It's not like the Sharks, where you can't really expect much more from them, because the potential for it isn't there!

Is that pie in the sky? Not in the sense that it's utopic, but yeah, it's optimistic, which is the way I choose to live my life. Makes me happier to always look at the positive side of things ahead of the negative, instead of always expecting the worse from everything and walk around with a permanent frown on my face...
You on the other hand appear to prefer pessimism for whatever reason, and that's fine, because the disappointment probably won't hurt as much.

So FACT = pessimsim if it doesn't reflect favourably on the broncos, does it ?

here's a few that come to mind ..
FACT: A Rugby League game goes for 80 mins ... the score after 20 mins doesn't mean squat ..
FACT: the broncos have won 4 of their last 14 games
FACT: the broncos are 3-7 against fellow top 8 teams this year.

Then there's the intangibles - ie that this team simply isn't playing as well as at least five other sides who're all above them on the ladder .. anyone with even a limited exposure to Rugby League can see that .. (well nearly everyone)

Hey I'd love to be feeling optimistic about the Broncos' premiership hopes at this point in time, but based on FACTS and what I'm seeing with this team, I don't have reason to be.

If that upsets you, too bad. Put me on your ignore list (if there is one) or start a new thread titled "Broncos 2012 - blind optimists only" ...

Hey I'd love to be feeling optimistic about the Broncos' premiership hopes at this point in time, but based on FACTS and what I'm seeing with this team, I don't have reason to be.

I take it then that you won't be tuning in to any more games for the rest of the season.

. I think our chances of winning 2012 are slim to none but a good showing in the finals is still on the cards, especially if we turn it around this weekend.

Here, here.

Courage is fear hanging on a minute longer.

Never give up hope. There's plenty of reasons to have faith.

Those boys will be training the house down this week so we can sit back on the couch with a beer and support the team we all love and so that some others will have the opportunity to say "I told you so" early next week.

A written off team with the class of the Broncos is a very dangerous commodity.

Active Now

• Allo
  • Bucking Beads
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Fitzy
  • Financeguy
  • Mister Wright
  • Rowdy124
  • broncos4life
  • Fatboy
  • Fozz
  • lynx000
  • Jazza
  • Waynesaurus
  • Bish
  • Foordy
  • Manlyman
  • Harry Sack
  • pennywisealfie
  • mrslong
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.