PRE-GAME Finals Week 1 - Broncos vs Dragons

vs

Kickoff In:

Thursday
Morning
10:00

Team Lists

I'm sure if we had any backrowers left we'd have them in over Staggs or Mago but adding a sixth prop to the bench seems kind of pointless when the fifth one is only getting token minutes as is.

With the wet weather, Wallabies test match tonight and what that will mean for the condition of the field tomorrow forward dominance and ball security will be even more important, forward rotation will be important and I'd rather 4 proper forwards on the bench personally. That said we should still be able to win with or without Staggs, I just think 4 dedicated forwards is more optimal.

Last edited:
I've never really seen a need for a 4 forward rotation. It's not like with 3 forwards you'll be having players burnt out or anything, the bench players still don't get a lot of minutes, and adding a 4th forward for a 7 or 8 minute burst isn't going to change anything, especially because the further you go down your pecking order, the worse these forwards get. Better to spread those 7 or 8 minutes between your better forwards.

With the wet weather, Wallabies test match tonight and what that will mean for the condition of the field tomorrow forward dominance and ball security will be even more important, forward rotation will be important and I'd rather 4 proper forwards on the bench personally. That said we should still be able to win with or without Staggs, I just think 4 dedicated forwards is more optimal.
We only have middle forwards to draw from though. Lodge plays 40-50 minutes, Joe plays 50 minutes, Sims plays 40 minutes, Thaiday plays 35 minutes, McGuire plays 65+ minutes. Our third bench forward, Mago, only gets 15 minutes a game. If you add Tagataese to the bench he won't even get on the field, because at any given time we will have a rested Lodge, Ofahengaue, McGuire, Sims or Thaiday ready to go back on instead. The only reason to have a fourth forward on the bench would be to cover back row, and Staggs can do that better than Tagataese can while also covering injuries to the 1-7. Even if we use Sims to cover back row, I still don't see Tagataese getting on the field because Ofa and Lodge are capable of playing 55-60 minutes and with the benefit of halftime and a small stint on the bench will be more impactful than a fresh Tagataese.

I've never really seen a need for a 4 forward rotation. It's not like with 3 forwards you'll be having players burnt out or anything, the bench players still don't get a lot of minutes, and adding a 4th forward for a 7 or 8 minute burst isn't going to change anything, especially because the further you go down your pecking order, the worse these forwards get. Better to spread those 7 or 8 minutes between your better forwards.
The Rabbitohs and Storm both had three forwards on the bench last night. The Rabbitohs only used 15 men and the Storm only used Kasiano for 8 minutes. Players are fitter nowadays, especially the bigger men. The Roosters are the only team in the top 8 that uses a four forward bench, but they have plenty of utility value with Matterson and Aubusson.

We only have middle forwards to draw from though. Lodge plays 40-50 minutes, Joe plays 50 minutes, Sims plays 40 minutes, Thaiday plays 35 minutes, McGuire plays 65+ minutes. Our third bench forward, Mago, only gets 15 minutes a game. If you add Tagataese to the bench he won't even get on the field, because at any given time we will have a rested Lodge, Ofahengaue, McGuire, Sims or Thaiday ready to go back on instead. The only reason to have a fourth forward on the bench would be to cover back row, and Staggs can do that better than Tagataese can while also covering injuries to the 1-7. Even if we use Sims to cover back row, I still don't see Tagataese getting on the field because Ofa and Lodge are capable of playing 55-60 minutes and with the benefit of halftime and a small stint on the bench will be more impactful than a fresh Tagataese.

In a normal match I agree, the problem is your not factoring the impact the combination of a wet damaged track(from the Wallabies match, Rugby scrums play havoc on the field) will have on the middle forwards. It will slow the pace of the game down. You will see more work and a different rotation required up the middle through those middle forwards and they will tire quicker, they may be fitter but that doesn't mean they don't tire still(plenty of games this year where our defence has suffered when the forwards have tired in the second half), even more so in conditions that don't help their cause. Now we have plenty of middle forwards such as Sims and Thaiday who are capable of playing in the second row and chances are Staggs will see minimal time on the field(you point out Mago, I have seen Staggs have similar timeframes this season off the bench people here have complained about why he has even been selected if he barely sees time) and is incapable of slotting into the frontrow if circumstances are required, the only advantage is if a centre gets injured or needs to be shifted, outside of that the second row can still be covered. If your going to argue the need for a utility I could think of better options personally.

That said mate I don't think it's the worst selection in the world, certainly shouldn't stop us from being capable of winning the game.

Last edited:
I live in Melbourne and bunch of guys were talking about W Bulldogs winning the comp from 7th in 2016(Normally, I tune out). Very similar looking ladder to this year's NRL. Same finals system so maybe that is some hope we can win from 6th.

This is going to be a wet game.

In a normal match I agree, the problem is your not factoring the impact the combination of a wet damaged track(from the Wallabies match) will have on the middle forwards. It will slow the pace of the game down. You will see more work required up the middle through those middle forwards and they will tire quicker, they may be fitter but that doesn't mean they don't tire still(plenty of games this year where our defence has suffered when the forwards have tired in the second half), even more so in conditions that don't help their cause. Now we have plenty of middle forwards such as Sims and Thaiday who are capable of playing in the second row and chances are Staggs will see minimal time on the field(you point out Mago, I have seen Staggs have similar timeframes this season off the bench) and is incapable of slotting into the frontrow if circumstances are required, the only advantage is if a centre gets injured.
Putting a fourth forward on the bench does not give you additional interchanges to use them. We are not going to send Tagataese out there when we have three better options who play the same position sitting next to him on the bench.

It has to be Staggs we will need the second row cover. Having another middle means Fifi and TPJ will have to play 80.... as it is 1 will probably be required to play 80 anyway

Yep, and TPJ probably won't be able to play the 80 with his injury.
I remember joking about how many 2nd rowers we had this year, but then 3 have been gone for the year and another one is missing too. We got lucky with that depth this year.

Weather forecast says no chance of rain today, so that will be good.

Hopefully the rain we’ve already had won’t affect the game too much.

McGregor is considering moving Widdop to fullback for today's game.

Not sure if that benefits us or not. He hasn't played a lot of fullback over the years.

Not sure if that benefits us or not. He hasn't played a lot of fullback over the years.
I think its good for them but it will benefit us... i know that sounds contradictory but the reason I say it is it will liven their attack up and make them a bit more unpredictable BUT it shows how desperate they are and how little confidence they currently have.

Its a last throw of the dice, so if we are dominating 15 mins into the game their confidence will plummet i reckon

They must be wanting to protect his damaged shoulder by not defending in the front line

Weather forecast says no chance of rain today, so that will be good.

Hopefully the rain we’ve already had won’t affect the game too much.
lol, I don't think 5 mm will affect a ground with superior drainage that Suncorp enjoys. It will be a dry track which should spell trouble for the visitors.

Widdop playing at fullback just takes away a good attacking option for us.

He wouldn't be defending in the front-line and I have no doubt the Broncos would have made a plan to have Fifita run at him.

I don’t understand the move of Widdop to fullback. I don’t rate Dufty anywhere near as highly as the commentators do, but is his play at fullback really there issue?

It benefits us.

The last place you want to put a bloke who is not match fit is fullback. The distance they run is amazing.

It also rather suggests that he is still injured and could be a liability in the front line.

Active Now

• Foordy
  • Aldo
  • Fozz
  • Browny
  • Brocko
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Organix
  • Mr Fourex
  • Battler
  • Tim K
  • Nerd
  • Allo
  • Wolfie
  • Galah
  • Rambstien
  • winslow_wong
  • broncos4life
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • KateBroncos1812
  • broncsgoat
... and 29 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.