First Test- Australia v Pakistan

You can't take Maddinson's second innings and apply pressure for his spot.

He was told he had 10 minutes.

He never has, and doesn't look test calibre and he has a first class record to prove it. His form was not great going into the test, so I really can't understand his selection (of course I can from the he plays for NSW & has 'potential' tag).

He never has, and doesn't look test calibre and he has a first class record to prove it. His form was not great going into the test, so I really can't understand his selection (of course I can from the he plays for NSW & has 'potential' tag).

The Blues have propped up Australian cricket since 1877 and always will. Remind yourself where Khawaja learnt his cricket and where AB and Thompson were born and raised.

Also on Head I was so disappointed in his Shield Final last year. Two starts and no wickets. He got dealt with servely

Shield Final is called the sixth Test; if you perform you win Test selection. Siddle, Hughes, Smith and Handscombe have all had big finals and then played Tests.

So what's his excuse for every other failing? Surely they aren't telling him that everytime?

The Blues have propped up Australian cricket since 1877 and always will. Remind yourself where Khawaja learnt his cricket and where AB and Thompson were born and raised.

I guess I should be happy you have the year right now.

Not terribly insightful or sensible though.

Thompson.

Played one Test while at New South Wales. 0/110. Didn't play again for two years.

First 15 Tests after moving to Queensland, 78 wickets at 24. Queensland made him.

All 200 of his Test wickets taken while in Queensland.

Border

New South Wales 14 Tests.
Queensland 142 Tests and 93 as captain.

Seems Queensland takes ok players and turns them in to legends where New South Wales failed.

So what's his excuse for every other failing? Surely they aren't telling him that everytime?

Every; you mean a whole two innings?

Not really a huge sample size. Two day night Tests too.

When anyone you could pick to replace him isn't doing any better. He should see out the series and get the two day Tests to make a complete assessment.

Show me the guy with 10,000 Shield runs averaging 60 and I'd pick him.

In Test cricket: 311 follow ons enforced for 238 wins, 70 draws & 3 losses 98 follow ons not enforced for 69 wins, 28 draws & 1 loss.

Maddinson's last 8 innings - 4, 1, 0, 80, 0, 33, 6, 0.

We couldn't have picked a more out of form and undeserving player if we tried. At least Patterson had some runs on the board at the time of the 3rd SA test (Hasn't done a whole lot since, but that's besides the point)

Maddinson's last 8 innings - 4, 1, 0, 80, 0, 33, 6, 0.

We couldn't have picked a more out of form and undeserving player if we tried. At least Patterson had some runs on the board at the time of the 3rd SA test (Hasn't done a whole lot since, but that's besides the point)

Yet four 100's in four years and averaging 35 has you measuring up baggy greens?

You can't justify Head over Maddinson.

Yet four 100's in four years and averaging 35 has you measuring up baggy greens?

You can't justify Head over Maddinson.

Show me the part where Maddinson has runs on the board for Australia in any form and I'll agree with you. Otherwise, I certainly can justify it.

I also can't help but notice that you keep referencing 4 100's in 4 years, yet fail to mention that he's got those 4 100's in the last 2 seasons, whilst averaging of over 41 in FC.

Maddinson since the start of the 2015-2016 FC season - 2x 100's, 2x 50's @ 28.54
Head since the start of the 2015-2016 FC season - 4x 100's, 3x 50's @ 41.65

Tell me more about how I can't justify it. I won't even mention the fact that he's nearly 3 years younger, a better bowler, a better fielder and has far greater leadership experience and aspirations, that would just be rubbing salt in the wound.

Last edited:
Show me the part where Maddinson has runs on the board for Australia in any form and I'll agree with you. Otherwise, I certainly can justify it.

Should we also mention that Head is a reasonable amount younger?

I also can't help but noticing you keep referencing 4 100's in 4 years, yet fail to mention that he's got those 4 100's in the last 2 seasons, whilst averaging of over 40 in FC.

Tell me more about how I can't justify it.

Lost me when you use 20/20 form to pick a Test side.

Only Shield counts. At least throw in an observation or something from a Shield game.

Well I did reference that three of them were last year. But your career doesn't start when you get runs. Can S Waugh discount 26 Tests and say only from my 27th counts? That's my first 100.

Four in four Shield years is 100% accurate and reflects his whole career not just the part you want to use.

Lost me when you use 20/20 form to pick a Test side.

Well I did reference that three of them were last year. But your career doesn't start when you get runs. Can S Waugh discount 26 Tests and say only from my 27th counts? That's my first 100.

Four in four Shield years is 100% accurate and reflects his whole career not just the part you want to use.

I edited my post since you replied with detailed stats of the last 2 seasons of form for both of them, you can't justify Maddinson over Head, as much as you'd like to, Head is a better option in every single aspect of the game.

I also can't help but notice that you keep referencing 4 100's in 4 years, yet fail to mention that he's got those 4 100's in the last 2 seasons, whilst averaging of over 41 in FC.

Maddinson since the start of the 2015-2016 FC season - 2x 100's, 2x 50's @ 28.54
Head since the start of the 2015-2016 FC season - 4x 100's, 3x 50's @ 41.65

Tell me more about how I can't justify it. I won't even mention the fact that he's nearly 3 years younger, a better bowler, a better fielder and has far greater leadership experience and aspirations, that would just be rubbing salt in the wound.

Maddinson got 180 for Australia A in England and 30 off 16 against India for Australia.

That's great: detailed you say? Just say I looked up Cricinfo and be done with it. Listing scores doesn't help you. Especially when you just pick the ones you want.

Age doesn't matter, Maddinson is 24! Do you want a foetus to play!

Maddinson has captained New South Wales too.

So Travis Head is your next project. Player 456 you've wanted in the side without having seen him play!

My arguement is clearly not pro Maddinson but that Head and Maddinson are the same gut feeling, observation selection. So you give Head two Tests and then what who is next?

Maddinson got 180 for Australia A in England and 30 off 16 against India for Australia.

That's great: detailed you say? Just say I looked up Cricinfo and be done with it. Listing scores doesn't help you. Especially when you just pick the ones you want.

Age doesn't matter, Maddinson is 24! Do you want a foetus to play!

Maddinson has captained New South Wales too.

So Travis Head is your next project. Player 456 you've wanted in the side without having seen him play!

My arguement is clearly not pro Maddinson but that Head and Maddinson are the same gut feeling, observation selection. So you give Head two Tests and then what who is next?

Nice try lol, I know you're an expert on cherry picking stats, but that's ridiculous, I listed every single FC game that both players played for their Shield clubs in the last 2 seasons. Next thing you know you'll be finding some game Maddinson played 4 years ago in grade cricket where he scored runs to try and justify your argument.

I have seen Head play by the way, quite a bit, you know, when he scored runs for Australia recently, just like Maddin- oh wait. I used to respect your opinions honestly, but now I see you've actually got very limited knowledge on the game and try and use stats to justify things, even if the stats have no relevance.. Like you still haven't even responded to the fact that Head has simply outplayed Maddinson in every single aspect of the game of cricket over the last 24 months.. Please get the stats out to disprove that.

Madisson cannot be selected in Melbourne & Sydney. He is going to get owned and have a Ponting-2001 like series if he makes it to India. At least head provides us with another spinning option which will be desperately required in India. Give him two tests to gain experience and then send him to India.

Surely, if nothing else Head has showed his temperament at international level.

Nice try lol, I know you're an expert on cherry picking stats, but that's ridiculous, I listed every single FC game that both players played for their Shield clubs in the last 2 seasons. Next thing you know you'll be finding some game Maddinson played 4 years ago in grade cricket where he scored runs to try and justify your argument.

I have seen Head play by the way, quite a bit, you know, when he scored runs for Australia recently, just like Maddin- oh wait. I used to respect your opinions honestly, but now I see you've actually got very limited knowledge on the game and try and use stats to justify things, even if the stats have no relevance.. Like you still haven't even responded to the fact that Head has simply outplayed Maddinson in every single aspect of the game of cricket over the last 24 months.. Please get the stats out to disprove that.

You asked when he has performed for Australia; I provided two examples. Admittedly one is for Australia A and one 20/20 but still results for Australia. You are happy to use Head's 20/20 outcomes as reason to be in the Test team so you can hardly have an issue with using Maddinson's good batting against India.

Great so you have watched Head play three ODI against New Zealand this month and you're arguing about his form over the last two years? How could you possibly sustain that having just said you didn't know who he was till the ODI against New Zealand not even a month ago.

I fail to see how you can accuse me of only picking certain examples when I have spoken about his whole career- you seem to be confused you're the one arguing you only want to use the scores that suit you.

I have quite fairly looked at Head's bowling and batting over the course of his Shield career and the big Finals he played. You can't do that.

If we are talking about the One Day side or 20/20 side no issue, he's been great for Adelaide and South Australia his 200 was one of the best domestic innings ever and rightfully picked up an Australian spot but his Shield form has not replicated that. Same as Maddinson he is all over the shop.

They have gone with Maddinson and I think he deserves more than two Tests, both day night games.

Active Now

• broncoscope
  • Fozz
  • Bish
  • kiwi2
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Sproj
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Old Mate
  • westy316
  • Aldo
  • Gaz
  • Lozza
  • broncos4life
  • rj9
  • sooticus
  • broncsfan88
  • Shane Tronc
  • Big Del
  • Spike
  • theshed
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.