Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
From Redfern to Red Hill: Anthony Seibold a natural fit for Brisbane

By Phil Lutton

25 October 2018 — 6:13pm

From the moment Craig Bellamy made the decision to spurn Brisbane's approaches and remain in Melbourne, Anthony Seibold was the man the Broncos envisaged taking over at Red Hill.

That's not to say Seibold was some sort of consolation prize. Aside from Wayne Bennett, Bellamy stands alone as the other genuine super coach in rugby league. That's the kind of towering figure Broncos powerbrokers imagined when they saw the future beyond Bennett.

Seibold is hardly there yet. He's overseen precisely 27 games as a head coach and won nothing but admiration for the way he's gone about things in his rookie season. Bennett has 809 games in the books and won seven grand finals. But in the 44-year-old from Rockhampton, Brisbane believe they have found a coach who can thrive in the big shadow Bennett will cast long after he departs.

As someone close to the club pointed out, when the Broncos began in 1988, they didn't recruit an established gun to set them on their way, they found the most promising young Queensland coach. To them, Seibold's looming appointment has an element of history and renewal.

This was, in many regards, the most important recruiting mission in the club's history, outside getting Bennett in the first place. Neither Ivan Henjak nor Anthony Griffin were able to shape the club and its unique culture to their liking.

Kevin Walters, the supremely likeable Maroons coach, was again on the end of a phone call to tell him the Broncos job, which he so covets, would go to someone else. Walters has an endless amount of friends at the club, from current to former players and officials, but such decisions can't be made on sentiment.

Seibold made the most sense by far, even with his limited experience. He's been a complete professional in his first season, losing his cool publicly only once, ironically in relation to the coaching rumours linking him to the Broncos. With so many sponsors, corporates, fans and media to appease in the Queensland capital, Seibold, a former Brisbane reserve-grader, was judged to be made of the right stuff.

From a football point of view, even when you consider he leaves behind a team of Burgesses and Greg Inglis at Redfern, the allure of the Broncos is obvious. They have a squad bursting to take the next step and virtually all of their young stars have already been signed. Many have them pegged as a contender in coming seasons, so Seibold must understand the expectation that will surround him from day one.

Thursday was an astonishing day for the NRL, when the coaching roulette wheel that had been whirring for months finally began to reveal some numbers and colours. Seibold was the first domino to tumble, in turn pushing out Bennett, a move slated to happen in 2020, but is far more likely to happen much sooner.

What Bennett does at South Sydney will be as intriguing as what Seibold can do in Brisbane. Bennett coached the Dragons to a premiership in 2010 when he left the Broncos, but this will be the first time he has coached in the heart of Sydney. Sin City reporters confident they can cut him down a peg or two are certain to be disappointed.

With Seibold and Bennett trading places, Michael Maguire will be confirmed to take over at the Tigers, marking his return to the NRL coaching ranks for the first time since he left Souths. His success with New Zealand would suggest he has lost little and he will give them some steel if nothing else.

And that all means the father-son reunion at Penrith can take place at long last, Cleary joining son Nathan, and the coaching merry-go-round appears to finally be coming to a stop. For now.
Des Hasler's appointment at Manly means there will be five teams with new coaches next season, should it all happen in time.

Apparently the draw came out on Thursday as well.

Source: Sydney Morning Herald

Well that distills so much confidence in me .
So we have a team pushing for a premiership yet we just let the coach who has 7 for someone that has 0. Good times !

So we have a team pushing for a premiership yet we just let the coach who has 7 for someone that has 0. Good times !

we let a coach go that can't get the job done

Those 7 premierships say different. Pretty sure he'd be in with a better shot than Seibold.
He came within seconds in 15 and has been putting the peices in place for another shot.
You really don't have a clue if you think this is the better option. Oh well let's wait another decade.

Those 7 premierships say different. Pretty sure he'd be in with a better shot than Seibold.
He came within seconds in 15 and has been putting the peices in place for another shot.
You really don't have a clue if you think this is the better option. Oh well let's wait another decade.

But he wasn't winning us a premiership.

Every year it's the same shit. He's building the pieces, he's building the pieces. Next year we'll be better. But we're still not winning.

He was brought back to win a premiership, he hasn't. Now it's time to move on and get someone that will bring a new approach.

**** mate get a grip. I am literally Bennett’s number one fan, but you are being ridiculous.

Why , because I'm saying it how I see it. This is the most I've posted ever , so let it be because I'll be done and gone soon.

Bennett can't keep living on his reputation ... he can't keep living on what he did 8 years ago ...

so you wouldn't even sack him if he got the wooden spoon as he would have still one 7 premierships

Bennett can't keep living on his reputation ... he can't keep living on what he did 8 years ago ...

so you wouldn't even sack him if he got the wooden spoon as he would have still one 7 premierships

He never got us a spoon, he wanted 1 more year . There was always going to be a change within a few years .

Didn’t you say just the other day that an experienced coach is not as important as good players?

Well; it is literally impossible for Seibold to have won 7 premierships in his only year as a head coach. We also already have good players.

Does that not fit your current criteria?

However, none of this fits your previous narrative. The one where you also said the coach with the best record isn’t always the best coach “long term” or something similar.

So which side of this conversation are you on today? Because it seems an awful lot like you don’t even know.

I’m not having a dig either, it just makes following your point of view harder than navigating a minefield.

Last edited:
He coached us to premierships in our glory days when we had the best players in the comp. He is not the only coach that would have had success with those teams. The Bennett worship around here is ridiculous.

I hope for all of our sakes as fans of the Bronc's, that Seibold takes this club to new heights that Bennett has been unable to achieve in the last dozen years. Let's be open to the possibility that Seibold is a better fit for our football club. I for one am very excited about the change. Like I have said before, if we dont win the premiership with Seibold then our results will mirror what we are currently achieving with Bennett.

Didn’t you say just the other day that an experienced coach is not as important as good players?

Well; it is literally impossible for Seibold to have won 7 premierships in his only year as a head coach. We also already have good players.

Does that not fit your current criteria?

However, none of this fits your previous narrative. The one where you also said the coach with the best record isn’t always the best coach “long term” or something similar.

So which side of this conversation are you on today? Because it seems an awful lot like you don’t even know.

I’m not having a dig either, it just makes following your point of view like navigating a minefield.

I did , that was a point about the Maguire for Broncos job. For what it's worth I'm pleased seibold got the nod ahead of the others, I even would've liked demitrou.
I just believe the timing isn't right to change coaches, especially one that has won so many premierships.

I'd call your last statement a dig , but meh !

He coached us to premierships in our glory days when we had the best players in the comp. He is not the only coach that would have had success with those teams. The Bennett worship around here is ridiculous.

I hope for all of our sakes as fans of the Bronc's, that Seibold takes this club to new heights that Bennett has been unable to achieve in the last dozen years. Let's be open to the possibility that Seibold is a better fit for our football club. I for one am very excited about the change. Like I have said before, if we dont win the premiership with Seibold then our results will mirror what we are currently achieving with Bennett.

You mean like Bellamy with the storm and Robinson with the roosters . Nice theory!

Seibold is 26 years younger. Who has a longer coaching career ahead of them?

Last edited:

If I change my username to Oustin78.5, can I be a part of this forum within the forum? :meparto:

Sorry, couldn’t help myself, just being stupid!

AC02BBE9 CAB3 4A9A 862F 093A362AB149

Last edited:
He never got us a spoon, he wanted 1 more year . There was always going to be a change within a few years .
We would put up with players getting picked on their reputation ... So why should we with our coach?

I still feel the 2015 gf loss effected Bennett a lot more than he’ll ever admit. Ben hunt never recovered so who’s to say Bennett didn’t have the same struggles since then.

Active Now

• Broncosarethebest
  • Broncosgirl
  • Dash
  • Jedhead
  • kiwibronco
  • Xzei
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.