NEWS From Redfern to Red Hill: Anthony Seibold a natural fit for Brisbane

You mean like Bellamy with the storm and Robinson with the roosters . Nice theory!

I see what you are saying, although I'm not sure you can put Robinson and the Roosters in that category.

I still stand by what i said but. Wayne Bennett is not the messiah because he won premier ships with those sides.

Phil Jackson has won more NBA championships then any other coach. He also had Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen in one side and Kobe Bryant and Shaq in the other. He was blessed with great players and so was Wayne Bennet.

Alfy Langer is Michael Jordan in my eyes haha.

Last edited:
It's definitely a risk, because we seem to be building towards a premiership (and hopefully in a real way, not in the post-2011 way where the press was saying we are building towards one too), and we need to take advantage of the upcoming window, make some key signings and try to win the whole thing in the next 2-3 years. I really like what I've seen from Seibold, and have a better feeling about him than the other options, so hopefully he doesn't let us down. A coach who is willing to learn and adapt is what's needed to take us forward.

Playing devils advocate here, is siebold all he is really cracked up to be? He didnt really light it up at cup level and didnt fire when coaching junior level qld rep sides.
He had a decent season with a good sth sydney team. I actually think he qould be better suited in the front office as an adminsitrator due to his academic background.
Time will tell i guess but im not sold on him.

I did , that was a point about the Maguire for Broncos job. For what it's worth I'm pleased seibold got the nod ahead of the others, I even would've liked demitrou.
I just believe the timing isn't right to change coaches, especially one that has won so many premierships.

I'd call your last statement a dig , but meh !

So we keep Bennett for one more year, sign him for 2020 then he retires like he wanted. That's fine I guess if you are willing to reduce your chances of getting the coach you want when you consider how may coaches were off contract end with of 19. They did what was best for the club, not Wayne and rightly so. Unless they were going to rubber stamp Bennetts plan and lock JD in as Bennetts successor they had to do what they did.

Now we move forward with a coach that has a Trent Robinson feel to him, and I'm happy about that.

You made a comment (ostin86) which austin71 liked.

I merged the names to arrive at oustin78.5.

As I said, just being stupid. I can’t help myself though, I was born that way.

That's pretty funny actually I was just too thick to get it

I think people saying Bennet "didn't get the job done" are a little precious. The best he can do is prepare a side to be consistently up there in contention. You could argue he didn't get us there this year (6th, beaten 2nd week of the finals) but he has laid the foundation of a team that by anyone's definition has a bright future ahead of it.
The club has made up its mind on him and we've got to accept the reality, but we also have to realise there are no guarantees with seibold. If the Broncos don't win it next year and siebold does it in 2020, people will say it was the coach, forgetting (a bit like griffin before bennet) that teams are built over years not a year and its the biggest challenge to keep a side in contention season after season . If bellamy gets them there after smith retires, he will have proven himself the better of bennet, but it is still an open question and he is the only coach comparable.
Siebold's success should not be judged on 2020's success or failure but the following seasons, because we broncos supporters expect the team to be up there year after year. I hope he or whoever else gets it, both understands that and does whats necessary to make it happen.
I think we over-estimate the abilities of any coach to drive success. Yes they are pivotal to it, but there is a lot more: from junior development, scouting and recruitment to the clubs finances that they rely on others for, and thats not even going into actions of players themselves.
When success or failure is determined in the last minute of a grand final, the measure is broken, because those moments are the players alone.
If Siebold gets us a top 4 spot and builds the team to compete for the trophy consistently he will have succeeded in my view, regardless of if we lift the thing.

Playing devils advocate here, is siebold all he is really cracked up to be? He didnt really light it up at cup level and didnt fire when coaching junior level qld rep sides.
He had a decent season with a good sth sydney team. I actually think he qould be better suited in the front office as an adminsitrator due to his academic background.
Time will tell i guess but im not sold on him.
I was heading towards thinking the same but then i watched a few videos of him talking last night to see what he was like. The thing that is impressive about him is his want to improve. Now you may rightly say every coach at that level must be like that but seibold seems to be next level in that area.

Theres an interview on youtube with “grange tv” when he was souths assitant i think. Its actually great listening. You can definetly see from that interview why the broncos wanted him.

So are we going after this Paul Devlin as a new high performance?? From that video sounds like he and siebs are quite tight

Can't quite remember who we have now but I believe he has followed Bennett a few times already.

Straight swaps galore

Last edited:
I was heading towards thinking the same but then i watched a few videos of him talking last night to see what he was like. The thing that is impressive about him is his want to improve. Now you may rightly say every coach at that level must be like that but seibold seems to be next level in that area.

Theres an interview on youtube with “grange tv” when he was souths assitant i think. Its actually great listening. You can definetly see from that interview why the broncos wanted him.

So we wait for him to improve? Like scgg said his record in the lower ranks isn't that good. So should've we waited with Bennett for 2 years and moved on with JD , who has the impressive record and guidance from Wayne. It's a complete unknown now .

Hope Seibold makes some bold changes to the team lineup like how Bennett shaped the Broncos team to his liking when he came in from Newcastle. I'd drop Macca and Bird.

I love Seibold he explains football. I wrote this in June which would have been about 12 weeks into coaching Souths.

Seibold is a great teacher- literally he was a teacher. He's done a long apprenticeship at Storm, Manly and ISC as well as the Queensland gig. A lot of what he does just comes from good pedagogical practice.

You talk football with him and he speaks like a teacher who wants his players to learn, they will improve under him because that's the environment he fosters. Doesn't clutter his players' minds with useless stuff just principles that make his footy work. He's completely remodelled Souths' attack this year. Tactical Periodization is his big thing and transitioning from attack to defence- it's very interesting everything is done faster than a game at training so you are always above the bench mark.

Souths are playing very fast football and move quicker than teams between changes of skills.

Nothing has changed for me, I know all the things he said in his interview and they would have been blown away.

I love Seibold he explains football. I wrote this in June which would have been about 12 weeks into coaching Souths.

Nothing has changed for me, I know all the things he said in his interview and they would have been blown away.
Thanks for your insight mate. Exciting times ahead!

The one thing that impressed me so much with the rabbits last year was the speed they played with in attack.

There was a game against the sharks where they just completely destroyed them through the ruck and had them retreating the entire game. It was one of the most dominant displays I can recall in recent history.

I think the NRL's mid-season rule changes really affected their style of play by allowing slowing down of the ruck to creep back in. Making it easier to contain Cook.

I like how Siebs talks about training at a higher speed than playing. I could imagine it helps the halves out greatly that they're making faster decisions at training than what they're required to do on the field. It basically slows the game down for them.

Last edited:

Active Now

• Wolfie
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Broncosgirl
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Broncorob
  • Old Mate
  • Broncosarethebest
  • GCBRONCO
  • Manofoneway
  • Bucking Beads
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Harry Sack
  • Midean
  • Bongo
  • bb_gun
  • broncsgoat
  • LittleDavey
  • Lurker
  • Allo
... and 15 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.