Gillett gone for 3 months with fractured neck

That interview was...odd. Gillett crying - cut to semi-smirking reporter. Bla bla bla family...bla bla bla...4 weeks of bla bla bla...flash to Matt picking up daughter to highlight seriousness of neck problem?...bla bla bla...incomprehensible ad for nine news.

I firmly believe this entire thing is unacceptable from the Broncos. If a player plays multiple games with an undiganosed broken neck, something in the system is broken, and needs to be fixed.

As above, the player stated he didn't want scans? Who the **** cares what the player wants, he should have had the scans.

If a player doesn't report the problem there's nothing the club can do..

He complained of a stiff neck after Round 1, but said he was fine, didn't say another word for a month. Are you saying the club needs to force players to get X-Ray's & MRI's for every single ailment they report, regardless of how minor they believe it is? I don't know how plausible that is.

He complained of a stiff neck after Round 1, but said he was fine, didn't say another word for a month. Are you saying the club needs to force players to get X-Ray's & MRI's for every single ailment they report, regardless of how minor they believe it is? I don't know how plausible that is.

The club did get scans on it. Nothing showed up. This is a common thing with neck fractures apparently, they only show up after continued wear and discomfort. The Broncos could literally have not done any more.

I didn't say that. I said the system is broken. I don't care what a player says, he's not the one tasked with his own well being, the club pays big money for that, and have paid even bigger money to make sure they have access to this equipment in house.

Instead of asking "Would you like a scan?" the doctor should have just said "Hey, better safe than sorry aye!". This isn't a sore arm, or a sore leg, it's a spinal issue, and I would expect that type of thing, especially after an illegal tackle, would be looked into further.

I firmly believe this entire thing is unacceptable from the Broncos. If a player plays multiple games with an undiganosed broken neck, something in the system is broken, and needs to be fixed.

As above, the player stated he didn't want scans? Who the **** cares what the player wants, he should have had the scans.

Can they force someone to do scans against their will?

I'm pretty sure they can't. It's entirely up to the patient.

Can they force someone to do scans against their will?

I'm pretty sure they can't. It's entirely up to the patient.

Of course they can. If the club doctor says you're going for a scan, you best believe that you're going for a scan. No different to your boss demanding you go get a medical clearance for whatever ailment you have.

That interview was...odd. Gillett crying - cut to semi-smirking reporter. Bla bla bla family...bla bla bla...4 weeks of bla bla bla...flash to Matt picking up daughter to highlight seriousness of neck problem?...bla bla bla...incomprehensible ad for nine news.

I always get uncomfortable watching things like that because you just know the media doesn't really give a shit and tries to exploit things for the views.

Is there a reason why MRC have avoided all criticism... I can't recall a charge coming out from it and it turns out it caused serious damage.

The NRL is extremely reactive with almost everything they seem to do. If Gillett had taken a dive the player would've been charged by the MRC and maybe the seriousness gets a little more scrutiny. Gillett gets up game keeps going nothing to see here.

The NRL introduce the HIA for free interchanges because of the seriousness of concussions whereas for years previous it was considered a badge of honour to play on despite not being able to stand up. This rule now gets exploited for all injuries (Matthews went off for a poke to the eye FFS) so why not be proactive and just make it an injury assessment.

Had the option been available for Gillett to leave the field for assessment maybe it gets better diagnosis by a doctor in the heat of the moment instead of trainer getting told to "**** off I'm fine". This would of course require the NRL to admit their rule is being wrongfully exploited and require them to clamp down on it.

FWIW a simple rule would just be having the guy who was interchanged on for injury be the same one who has to go off for the returning player... and the player who goes off has to return after no more than say 15mins otherwise they have to be ruled out for the game or class it as a substitution. They basically had this for the blood bin didn't they???

Teams found to be exploiting the rule are to be fined heavily for bringing the game into disrepute and potentially lose points (wouldn't be hard to see trends given they monitor all interchanges that occur). If they notice something suss get the club to provide justification.

Would also need the NRL to grow a spine and publicly shame clubs for cheating

Is there a reason why MRC have avoided all criticism... I can't recall a charge coming out from it and it turns out it caused serious damage.

The NRL is extremely reactive with almost everything they seem to do. If Gillett had taken a dive the player would've been charged by the MRC and maybe the seriousness gets a little more scrutiny. Gillett gets up game keeps going nothing to see here.

The NRL introduce the HIA for free interchanges because of the seriousness of concussions whereas for years previous it was considered a badge of honour to play on despite not being able to stand up. This rule now gets exploited for all injuries (Matthews went off for a poke to the eye FFS) so why not be proactive and just make it an injury assessment.

Had the option been available for Gillett to leave the field for assessment maybe it gets better diagnosis by a doctor in the heat of the moment instead of trainer getting told to "**** off I'm fine". This would of course require the NRL to admit their rule is being wrongfully exploited and require them to clamp down on it.

FWIW a simple rule would just be having the guy who was interchanged on for injury be the same one who has to go off for the returning player... and the player who goes off has to return after no more than say 15mins otherwise they have to be ruled out for the game or class it as a substitution. They basically had this for the blood bin didn't they???

Teams found to be exploiting the rule are to be fined heavily for bringing the game into disrepute and potentially lose points (wouldn't be hard to see trends given they monitor all interchanges that occur). If they notice something suss get the club to provide justification.

Would also need the NRL to grow a spine and publicly shame clubs for cheating

His head compacts onto Leilua's chest in the tackle with Graham around his legs. He falls to the ground with three guys then but none of them are near his neck. Gillett reaches up to his neck while he's on the ground.

He left the field about a minute later. Nothing charge worthy in the hit.

His head compacts onto Leilua's chest in the tackle with Graham around his legs. He falls to the ground with three guys then but none of them are near his neck. Gillett reaches up to his neck while he's on the ground.

He left the field about a minute later. Nothing charge worthy in the hit.

Of course this is true BUT McLean got 8 weeks because McKinnon got injured despite the tackle not really being that bad, so the precedent for the NRL is there.

I agree completely though that the HIA rort needs to be looked at so that the Storm...I mean...TEAMS that exploit it are dealt with. I have no problem with the HIA law itself, it is very important for players' health but it can definitely be policed better. Instead of the current ten minutes or whatever it is, make it 5 and the same player has to come back on (as suggested above).

Any player who is clearly NOT HIA but tries to get away with it, ala Croker's knee suddenly becoming his head, gets penalised TWO interchanges instead of one.

Also, compare the data of how many times a forward gets taken off HIA compared to backs. Almost every game you see forwards getting taken off but backs who can hardly walk in a straight line stay on.

Of course this is true BUT McLean got 8 weeks because McKinnon got injured despite the tackle not really being that bad, so the precedent for the NRL is there.

I agree completely though that the HIA rort needs to be looked at so that the Storm...I mean...TEAMS that exploit it are dealt with. I have no problem with the HIA law itself, it is very important for players' health but it can definitely be policed better. Instead of the current ten minutes or whatever it is, make it 5 and the same player has to come back on (as suggested above).

Any player who is clearly NOT HIA but tries to get away with it, ala Croker's knee suddenly becoming his head, gets penalised TWO interchanges instead of one.

Also, compare the data of how many times a forward gets taken off HIA compared to backs. Almost every game you see forwards getting taken off but backs who can hardly walk in a straight line stay on.

Difference I would guess would be that McKinnon went head first into the ground so it was a driving tackle- although you'd be hard pressed to call it that really.

You can't penalize a guy for having a chest.

Surprised channel Nine haven't reached out to McKinnon tbh to hear what he thinks.

Surprised channel Nine haven't reached out to McKinnon tbh to hear what he thinks.

the probably have ... they're just waiting to air it until they think it can have the most damaging impact to the Broncos ...

Gillett inspired by text from Peats

gillettm-180407pb7180.jpg

An inspirational text from Nathan Peats has given Brisbane Broncos second-rower Matt Gillett confidence that he can return to his best from a broken neck.
After experiencing persistent pain since Brisbane's round one clash with St George Illawarra, Gillett was diagnosed with several neck fractures after the round five clash with the Newcastle Knights.
It was a crushing blow for the 29-year-old Maroons and Kangaroos star who feared the worst for his future.
It was then that Gold Coast Titans hooker Peats sent a message of encouragement.
Peats broke his neck in August of 2015 while playing for Parramatta after fracturing the C6 vertebrae in his neck while making a tackle against the Sydney Roosters.
He was told initially he may never be the same player again but delicate surgery overseen by Sydney neurosurgeon Dr Richard Parkinson saw him return to the playing arena and represent NSW in State of Origin. It is a story that had given Gillett a massive boost as he targets his own return for Brisbane.

"Nathan Peats sent a message to me explaining his surgery and what he got done and how he made a full recovery," Gillett told NRL.com at the launch of the NRL's Indigenous Round in Brisbane on Monday.
"He said that if I wanted to ask questions about how it all went for him, and recovery-wise, to just give him a call. I thought it was very good of him to reach out to someone with a similar injury.

"Nathan had a major operation on his neck and he is back playing hooker in a role where he has to make a lot of tackles, and he is playing fine.
"After his injury he has gone on to represent his state so that is good to see and very encouraging to know someone has come back from a neck injury that's a lot worse than mine."
Gillett does not require surgery and is hopeful of a round 17 return to action for the Broncos.

"It is all going alright. I don't really know how the fracture is healing because I've got three or four weeks before I get another scan done," he said.
"Once we get that I'll reassess and play it by ear from there, but apart from that I am doing everything I can at training apart from contact."
Gillett said he was "thinking the worst and about the 'what ifs'" when he received the initial news about his neck fractures.
"I thought I'd have a lot more time on the sideline than I will and that if I kept playing and something bad happened it would be hard to live with," he said.
"There are a lot of people with these injuries worse off than I am so I consider myself lucky. I know there is no major damage and the fracture is going to heal itself over time.
"I know I'll be able to play rugby league, the thing I love, so I'll just let the healing process takes its course."

Gillett said he sustained the injury in the round one clash with the Dragons but had no idea the injury was serious.
"It felt more like a nerve pain on the left-hand side," he said.
"My neck was a bit tight but I didn't think anything of it at the time.
"I just thought if I had treatment and got it looked after I could keep on playing.
"Then I got it looked at after the Newcastle game and we found I had fractures. I didn't know what a neck fracture was supposed to feel like because I've never had one playing footy."
Gillett hopes to be back for the final two months of the season and be part of a Broncos' run into the finals.
"Hopefully I can hit the ground running and the boys are in good form so I can jump in and do my role," he said.

Dunno, if we really care about player welfare you’d write him off for the entire year and see him in 2019 preseason

Dunno, if we really care about player welfare you’d write him off for the entire year and see him in 2019 preseason

I think people hear fractured neck and overreact because it sounds so serious

Rather than the above comment, I'd rather go with "If we really cared about player welfare, we would get Gillett the best medical care we can and then follow the advice of the medical professionals"

Unread

Active Now

• mrslong
  • Confidor
  • winslow_wong
  • whykickamoocow
  • Sproj
  • MrTickyMcG
  • bb_gun
  • broncos4life
  • Dash
  • Hoof Hearted
  • broncsgoat
  • bert_lifts
  • heartly87
  • Financeguy
  • azza.79
  • davidp
  • Johnny92
  • Redfern_1980
  • Justwin
... and 10 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.