Greg Inglis signing thread.

Re: Greg Inglis walks away from...

Donny said:
Gainey hopes to meet with Broncos chief executive Bruno Cullen this week, but Cullen was adamant that Inglis would have to take a pay cut to join the club.

Dont we need the Stroms permission for that?? If this article is true then doesnt that mean the Storm has given us permission to talk with Ingliss or his manager!

Gainey "hopes" to meet with Cullen. ie, after Inglis (and Gainey) have their meeting with the Storm and get their permission.

Coxy said:
Donny said:
Gainey hopes to meet with Broncos chief executive Bruno Cullen this week, but Cullen was adamant that Inglis would have to take a pay cut to join the club.

Dont we need the Stroms permission for that?? If this article is true then doesnt that mean the Storm has given us permission to talk with Ingliss or his manager!

Gainey "hopes" to meet with Cullen. ie, after Inglis (and Gainey) have their meeting with the Storm and get their permission.

Then that has to be a good sign

All sounds positive, but the $$$ will be the biggest issue IMO.

I'd say Broncos have MAX $450K to spend (despite hints in that article that they only want to pay $400K), because despite the problems with Hodges they are budgeting for him being on contract and paid next year.

Yeah but wasn't Izzy's contract meant to hit upwards of $600k/ season for the remaining two years? Or was that all rumour?

Nashy said:
Yeah but wasn't Izzy's contract meant to hit upwards of $600k/ season for the remaining two years? Or was that all rumour?

That was all rumour. I think it was closer to $500K. But the Broncos don't still have $500K available having re-signed Te'o, Gillett, Hannant etc.

Coxy said:
Nashy said:

That was all rumour. I think it was closer to $500K. But the Broncos don't still have $500K available having re-signed Te'o, Gillett, Hannant etc.

Man if we did somehow get Ingliss and Hodges got back to full fitness we would have a gun side next year. Like Coxy said though, the money issue does seem a little bit off. I would of thought the Broncos would have a spare bit of cash since the increase in the Salary cap plus the increase in rep player payments.

Maybe its just a ploy by the Broncos so other clubs think we dont have the room under the cap. From one of those articles i go the impression that Ingliss wouldnt even be on $400k a year if he came to the broncos. I cant see him coming for that type of cash.

Donny said:
Coxy said:
Nashy said:

Man if we did somehow get Ingliss and Hodges got back to full fitness we would have a gun side next year. Like Coxy said though, the money issue does seem a little bit off. I would of thought the Broncos would have a spare bit of cash since the increase in the Salary cap plus the increase in rep player payments.

Maybe its just a ploy by the Broncos so other clubs think we dont have the room under the cap. From one of those articles i go the impression that Ingliss wouldnt even be on $400k a year if he came to the broncos. I cant see him coming for that type of cash.

Even if the Broncos do have $650K spare, they're still expecting to have to upgrade some of the youngsters that have debuted this year - Norman etc - for 2012 or later. If they blow their wad on Inglis (hehe) they will just have to let other guys go later, a la end of 2008, and I don't think we want that to happen.

True, Knowing our luck we would let go Norman and he would become the next Lockyer!!! Surely the Broncos have to know Ingliss could be the difference between us having a golden next 4-5 years and it just being an ordinary one. Plus all the other stuff Ingliss brings

Bigger crowds = bigger revenue.

Donny said:
True, Knowing our luck we would let go Norman and he would become the next Lockyer!!! Surely the Broncos have to know Ingliss could be the difference between us having a golden next 4-5 years and it just being an ordinary one. Plus all the other stuff Ingliss brings

Could be, you're right. But if you have nuffies around him he's not much chop. Or if he gets injured and we only have nuffies to replace him with.

Can't throw all your eggs in one basket. Great player he is, but he's also got a tendency to go missing for long periods of the season.

Coxy said:
Donny said:

Could be, you're right. But if you have nuffies around him he's not much chop. Or if he gets injured and we only have nuffies to replace him with.

Can't throw all your eggs in one basket. Great player he is, but he's also got a tendency to go missing for long periods of the season.
I think people interpret Inglis going missing when he's not being his destructive best and solving games on his own...
He just gets less involved, but that doesn't mean he becomes a turnstyle in defense and inexistant in attack!

Having Inglis gives you that X-factor when he does turn it on and a very solid and versatile player the rest of the season, and that to me is worth an extra financial effort, especially if Hodges future is indeed in limbo. (but then I would definitely try to lure Blake Ferguson also)

P.S. Why hasn't this thread been moved to the Broncos Talk forum, now that we know which club is involved...? [icon_shru

Because it's still all speculation until Inglis has been released.

And nobody's denying Inglis is a great player even when he's not at his best, but the point is you can't sacrifice your promising youth just to get him. Has to be a balance between paying him what he is worth (note: worth, I don't think he's worth $650K per year...we don't even pay Locky that much FFS) and what you can afford.

Coxy said:

And nobody's denying Inglis is a great player even when he's not at his best, but the point is you can't sacrifice your promising youth just to get him. Has to be a balance between paying him what he is worth (note: worth, I don't think he's worth $650K per year...we don't even pay Locky that much FFS) and what you can afford.

It's speculation about Inglis and the Broncos. I'm not saying it should be given as a consumed fact, but it's a consideration for the admins anyway. Just my 2 cents.

Of course we need to find that balance and I agree that given the salaries in the NRL, he's not worth $650K atm.

Having said that, we have re-signed everyone that the club wants to keep (we'll find out soon enough what the plan with Sims is) for at least next season.
I know one shouldn't count their eggs until they hatch, but it's a very safe assumption that the cap will be lifted generously with the next TV broadcasting deal, and that should also be taken into account regarding the future, when we will need to resign some of our youngsters and/or stars...

audragon said:
Coxy said:

It's speculation about Inglis and the Broncos. I'm not saying it should be given as a consumed fact, but it's a consideration for the admins anyway. Just my 2 cents.

Of course we need to find that balance and I agree that given the salaries in the NRL, he's not worth $650K atm.

Having said that, we have re-signed everyone that the club wants to keep (we'll find out soon enough what the plan with Sims is) for at least next season.
I know one shouldn't count their eggs until they hatch, but it's a very safe assumption that the cap will be lifted generously with the next TV broadcasting deal, and that should also be taken into account regarding the future, when we will need to resign some of our youngsters and/or stars...

The extra cap from TV deal wont help any club if its another NRL club trying to poach a player. Every club will be able to spend the money so the only thing its going to do "hopefully" is stop the ESL, Union and AFL poaching our good players because we will be able to offer them more to stay in the NRL.

I agree with both of you. We do need to lock in our talent but IMO we do need Ingliss aswell. Lets hope we can do both icon_thumbs_u

Yes, but the other thing is to consider beyond 2011. Who is off contract for 2012? Will they need to be upgraded? We need to have room to move in that regard.

audragon said:
(but then I would definitely try to lure Blake Ferguson also)

Seriously dude your a full blown tard. Ferguson is $hit, our juniors are going to be so much better than that sack of $hit.

Ferguson is win. Man-up Anal Beads. baha.

Bannermania said:
Ferguson is win. Man-up Anal Beads. baha.

Yeah he would be perfect for the Titans, they need another crap outside back to really compliment Scott Prince and his diving.

lol. ahh. of course.

Active Now

• TwoLeftFeet
  • simplythebest
  • eggstar10
  • Reds2011
  • Fitzy
  • Gaz
  • ostin86
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Xzei
  • Wolfie
  • Big Del
  • Nerd
  • jd87
  • Bucking Beads
  • Waynesaurus
  • Morkel
  • spanky
  • mrtij
  • Dexter
... and 10 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.