Greg Inglis signing thread.

Re: Greg Inglis walks away from...

broncospwn said:
Bucking Beads said:
DIfference is the Broncos are accused of rorting the cap by having developed all there own stars whilst roosters an dogs by talent and rarely produce it.
I don't know about that. I would say the Bulldogs are right up there in producing talent themselves.
SBW, Omeley, Mason, Sherwin, Utai, Hazem, Maitua, Price, Idris, Barba, Anasta, Thurston, Tonga, Asotasi and that's just what I can remember.

Roosters I definitely agree on, they just buy any player they can.

Not many really suspected the Bulldogs of cheating the cap when they had most of the players you named. Main thing about Doggies and Roosters is that whenever any player is off contract they are after them. Plus they always recruit and rarely develop playres.

Bulldogs have gone the buy route since SBW took off, and Ryan was at the eels, Patten the dragons, Mason was a newcastle junior, O'Meley was at the bears & eagles, Anasta was a souths junior.

Bulldogs post 2007-08 have turned into the roosters just buy everyone they can.
Roosters well they've been doing that for ages and it's very frustrating because it means clubs like us have no incentive to develop juniors who will just go to another club willing to pay ridiculous $$ like Souths/Taylor, Warriors/Kemp, etc.

I actually like how we don't recruit much and rely on our juniors, the fact we had 14/17 players in 06 grand final who were home grown juniors is awesome and it's why we are always so successful because home grown players really do care and love the club.

nopatience101 said:
Bulldogs have gone the buy route since SBW took off, and Ryan was at the eels, Patten the dragons, Mason was a newcastle junior, O'Meley was at the bears & eagles, Anasta was a souths junior.
I'm not necessarily speaking about who they played for in lower grades, I mean which clubs actually made them what they are. I have no problems with clubs buying juniors and developing them into stars that's a sign of a good club. It's when clubs are buying established players because they cbf developing their own where it gets annoying.

BTW when you say "junior" did they actually play first grade at those clubs before leaving? I honestly don't know but I can't remember them players being anything but Bulldogs. I am aware Ryan and Patten were not actually juniors and I think both were handy players before joining the dogs.

broncospwn said:
nopatience101 said:
I'm not necessarily speaking about who they played for in lower grades, I mean which clubs actually made them what they are. I have no problems with clubs buying juniors and developing them into stars that's a sign of a good club. It's when clubs are buying established players because they cbf developing their own where it gets annoying.

BTW when you say "junior" did they actually play first grade at those clubs before leaving? I honestly don't know but I can't remember them players being anything but Bulldogs. I am aware Ryan and Patten were not actually juniors and I think both were handy players before joining the dogs.

Patten, Ryan and O'Meley all played first grade at other clubs first. Don't think Anasta did.

Patten and Ryan played heaps of first grade before they were Dogs too.

And Tonga had played first grade at the Eels too.

RIVAL NRL clubs are set to oppose any move that allows News Ltd to subsidise the transfer of star centre Greg Inglis from the Melbourne Storm to the media organisation's Brisbane team.

As the league world awaits the findings of a News audit, expected to be released tomorrow and expected to detail the extent of the Storm's salary cap breaches, Inglis has been linked with a move to the Broncos.

Brisbane officials, however, admit they can not afford to take over his $650,000-per-season contract.

Melbourne officials also insist that they have no intention of topping up any contracts offered by rival clubs for their star quartet of Inglis, Cameron Smith, Billy Slater and Cooper Cronk, and have formulated a plan that could involve releasing up to 10 other players to keep the big four.

The Storm are expected to come under increased pressure to release at least one one of the foursome after the results of the 12-week Deloitte investigation and there are fears that Inglis could be transferred from one News-owned club to another, with the Murdoch empire to pay the difference between his current contract and what the Broncos can offer him.

With News being a 50 per cent shareholder in the NRL, the move would again raise further conflict of interest questions over the media company's involvement in the game.

At least one CEO from a rival club is understood to have already raised his objection to such a move. Other clubs would also be unhappy that the Storm would ease their salary-cap woes by releasing a player to Brisbane when they are waiting for others to come on to the market.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/leag ... 105om.html

So people want players to be released so the Storm can fit under the cap, as long as its not to Brisbane just because the Storm owners happen to be our majority shareholders :roll:

NSWRL having another waaaaaaaaaah!

Even when we try to operate within the restraints of the salary cap, they still try to screw us - goddamn them to hell

Well most media have picked up on it now hopefully Bruno can get pen to paper

Side effect of this is mounting speculation that Justin Hodges may not return, ever.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/gre ... 5890498648

MOUNTING fears Justin Hodges' career could be finished should see the cashed-up Broncos pull out all stops to poach Maroons Origin superstar Greg Inglis.

That is the view of legendary centres Tony Currie and Steve Renouf.

Ex-Test star Hodges has hit a roadblock in his recovery from an achilles tendon injury, and with Israel Folau already lost to rival code AFL this summer, Brisbane faces a weakened backline.

But Inglis looms as a potential saviour, with mounting speculation the Storm superstar is eyeing off a fresh start at Red Hill amid Melbourne's salary cap drama.

Brisbane have been shrewd in regards to their interest in Inglis, saying they could not match his current $600,000 salary.

But with Folau set to exit and Hodges' future clouded, Brisbane have been advised to stop at nothing to snare Inglis.

"He would be a good fit for the Broncos, a great replacement for Izzy, and very good at putting bums on seats," Currie said.

Renouf added: "I really hope they get GI. He'd solidify that area, I just hope they don't bring him there and try to think he could be the five-eighth after Locky goes."

Currie admitted he had major concerns over the future of Hodges, who has a year to run on his contract. Currie had played seven straight Tests and 10 Origins when he snapped his achilles tendon at Lang Park in 1990. He admits he was merely a "shadow" of his former self after suffering his injury.

"My top-end speed returned, no problem, but my agility, turning and footwork were not there," Currie said. "I didn't have the acceleration.

"And the biggest hurdle I had was psychological. I found it was a two-year injury to overcome.

"Justin's really going to struggle, it's his right foot, and he's a right-foot stepper.

"They're two different injuries and the rehab is so good now so physically, he could get back to being good. But it's a mental thing he needs to overcome. He's not going to do it overnight. It only comes with a lot of football."

Storm will have to let go 1 or 2 of their star players.

Kaz said:
Storm will have to let go 1 or 2 of their star players.

When we are using the words star then i would also through in Blair, lima, Hoffman and White!!

Superstars are Slater, Cronk, Ingliss and Smith

It's strange, the way I'm reading it the Storm are wanting to have the full contract paid out by the club that takes him? Why else would they care what he's on?

If they paid him $650K per year using dodgy deals to breach the cap, then surely they can't insist on another club paying him the same overs!

Code:
Gainey hopes to meet with Broncos chief executive Bruno Cullen this week, but Cullen was adamant that Inglis would have to take a pay cut to join the club.[quote][/quote
]

Dont we need the Stroms permission for that?? If this article is true then doesnt that mean the Storm has given us permission to talk with Ingliss or his manager!

Active Now

• Manofoneway
  • Dexter
  • Nightwatchman
  • Skyblues87
  • LGH
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Gaz
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Financeguy
  • Harry Sack
  • Dreaglor
  • Hurrijo
  • DrGee
  • Kenny powers
  • Scdeac
  • Waynesaurus
  • thenry
  • bert_lifts
  • lynx000
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.