Greg Inglis signing thread.

Re: Greg Inglis walks away from...

broncospwn said:
Anonymous person said:
audragon said:
Yeah, right.
So because Slater pulled off a try saver, it rallied the maroons not to loose even if they got a try against 2 minutes later... Gotta admire that psychology! [icon_lol1.
ok well you tell Thaiday and the rest of the QLD team that thats not what happened :roll:. im sure theyll be pretty surprised, since thats what they told us...
Well even if it wasn't a turning point everyone who watched that game knows we would not have won that game without Slater, absolute machine performance, not just that tackle either he also scored the winning try a minute later running through 3-4 players and making it look easy.
I won't even try to argue that. Slater was the best player on the park that night IMO!
But let's get real, that tackle was great, was motivational, etc... As much as that try by the blues 2 minutes later was a huge punch in the gut.
If anything, "the menace" tickling Myles and giving away that stupid penalty is much more likely to be the turning point of the game...

audragon said:
I won't even try to argue that. Slater was the best player on the park that night IMO!
But let's get real, that tackle was great, was motivational, etc... As much as that try by the blues 2 minutes later was a huge punch in the gut.
If anything, "the menace" tickling Myles and giving away that stupid penalty is much more likely to be the turning point of the game...
far out, how many times do i have to explain this.

on the footy show after the origin, sam thaiday was on there. he said the turning point for the QLD players was when Slater held up Watmough.

end of story. it didnt matter that they scored 2 minutes later, or that ennis gave away a penalty later on. the TURNING POINT FOR THE QLD PLAYERS was when Slater held up Watmough.

am i missing something here, or is this one of the easiest things you could ever ask someone to understand? [icon_shru

Look maybe Audragon but I'd be inclined to agree with AP and to believe Thaiday when he said that tackle was a turning point in the game. Why would he make it up?

broncospwn said:
Look maybe Audragon but I'd be inclined to agree with AP and to believe Thaiday when he said that tackle was a turning point in the game. Why would he make it up?

Bingo. If a PLAYER from the TEAM says a certain moment was a turning point, well, I'd say they'd know better than some armchair critic on a forum with an agenda against Billy Slater (oh yeah...I went there...I said the a word).

Coxy said:
broncospwn said:

Bingo. If a PLAYER from the TEAM says a certain moment was a turning point, well, I'd say they'd know better than some armchair critic on a forum with an agenda against Billy Slater (oh yeah...I went there...I said the a word).
If that's not a bait, I don't know what is... [icon_lol1.
You did read the part where I said that Slater was the best player on the park that night, didn't you?

FTR, everything I say here is my opinion, which I try to base on facts when these are available to me.
In this case, the facts (as in game flow) point towards the turning point being the Ennis penalty, not the Slater try saver.

So you're saying Thaiday was wrong?

audragon said:
FTR, everything I say here is my opinion, which I try to base on facts when these are available to me.
In this case, the facts (as in game flow) point towards the turning point being the Ennis penalty, not the Slater try saver.
lol

if youre going on 'facts', then the turning point of the game wouldve been when Slater scored to put the maroons in front - not when ennis gave away a penalty - because that turned the game from NSW having the lead to QLD having the lead.

but the turning point for the Queensland players happened 10 minutes before that, when Slater held up Watmough.

keep arguing though, its fun seeing how many different ways you can sidestep saying 'im wrong'.

audragon said:
Coxy said:
broncospwn said:

If that's not a bait, I don't know what is... [icon_lol1.
You did read the part where I said that Slater was the best player on the park that night, didn't you?

Stats don't measure attitude change from an inspirational tackle [icon_wink

You could also argue that the dropped ball from NSW that gave QLD possession inside the NSW half leading to the Ennis penalty was the turning point....

You could say the opening whistle was the turning point...

Coxy said:
exactly.

every single thing that happens in a game is essentially a turning point in the game if youre going on 'fact'. if a ball hits the ground, bouncing one way can lead to a completely different outcome than bouncing the other way.

but when talking about players mentality in a game, you cant question what moment was the turning point for them if they specifically tell you which moment it was. if Thaiday said Ennis punching Miles was the turning point for the QLD team, that was the turning point for the QLD team - no questions asked.

he didnt though. he said the Slater tackle on Watmough was.

Coxy said:
You could also argue that the dropped ball from NSW that gave QLD possession inside the NSW half leading to the Ennis penalty was the turning point....

Or picking Ennis in the first place was the turning point.

Yup. And in any game of rugby league (or any sport) there are numerous turning points in the game where momentum shifts one way or the other.

Honestly the first turning point was the 2nd tackle when Gallen dropped the ball.
Another one was the mistake or penalty that led to Gallen's try late in the first half.
Another was Locky's field goal on half time.
Another was the procession of penalties in the second half.
Hayne's wild pass to Morris with the line open.
Watmough being held up.
Numerous poor fifth tackle options by Queensland in the second half (short kicks instead of looking for territory).
Ennis's selfish kick that actually worked for a change.
NSW dropping the ball in the tackle with 10 to go.
Ennis biffing Myles (and before that, Myles lashing out at Ennis to incite the reaction)
Locky's angled run to hold up the defence for Slater to score.
Folau's intercept of Pearce's pass.
Tonga's match winning try.

Sporting contests have numerous turning points. But the DEFINING turning point from the players' perspective was the holding up of Watmough.

Is this not the Greg Inglis topic??

Lets stick to the topic, if you want to argue about Slater, Origin Etc Open a new thread...

After reading the outcome of the Storm today, im more then certain GI will be playing in Broncos colours next year.

He is not intrested in AFL or Rugby Union & wants to move to Queensland & out of the 3 Queensland Sides only the Broncos can afford him.

Happy days here we come. _woohoo_ _woohoo_ _woohoo_

NRL chief executive David Gallop says he is willing to work with Melbourne's new management to get the club under the salary cap in 2011, but has ruled out across-the-board pay cuts.

"Undoing years of salary cap cheating at the club is a complicated issue and not one that can be solved by just taking pay cuts," Gallop said.

"Clubs can't be allowed to take players out of the market with huge offers one year and then cover things up with pay cuts the next.

"There are provisions for contracts to be renegotiated and for terms to be extended but that is a complicated process and requires total transparency

It seems as though the NRL are not willing to allow the Storm players to take pay cuts. Now we will see if Ingliss really wanted to come to the broncos for "personal reasons" or it was just because he thought he could get a better offer.

Some people are going to say his soon to be wife has/is going to have a high up job in Brisbane soon. Then if Ingliss does stay with the Storm for the same amount we were offering it proves that the whole "personal reasons" are a crock of shit!!

Mate, I'd be pretty certain that Inglis knew he couldn't get a better offer from us than he could get from the storm, especially considering the storm have been vocal these last couple of days in saying that they will shed heaps of other players in order to keep the big 4 together. I'm prepared to believe his desire to come here is genuine (should he have to leave the storm that is, I'd still say that would be his number 1 preference).

Emma said:
Mate, I'd be pretty certain that Inglis knew he couldn't get a better offer from us than he could get from the storm, especially considering the storm have been vocal these last couple of days in saying that they will shed heaps of other players in order to keep the big 4 together. I'm prepared to believe his desire to come here is genuine (should he have to leave the storm that is, I'd still say that would be his number 1 preference).

Yeah, I said at the time I didn't think it was over when the Broncos said they were pulling out. A lot is going to change in the next couple of weeks.

Coxy said:
Emma said:

Yeah, I said at the time I didn't think it was over when the Broncos said they were pulling out. A lot is going to change in the next couple of weeks.

I hope it does change.

But lets just say it doesnt and that Ingliss takes a pay cut to stay with the the Storm. If he stays with the Storm for the same or even less then what we were offering then the whole "personal reasons" is a load of crap.

Dont get me wrong I wouldnt blame the guy for wanting to stay with the Storm and all of his mates. They were the ones that basically made him into who he is today. Nobody could fault him for wanting to stay.

BUT dont go saying your moving for personal reasons and then knock back $400,000+ a year to move to brisbane when according to you, the move was for personal reasons in the first place.

If he stays for less, then I can understand your position. If he stays for the same though, I'm still prepared to side with him on this one. I have no doubt his number 1 preference is to stay with the storm. And also, according to every story I've read, it was his manager that knocked the offer back, as have the storm in granting him the release. I haven't seen anything from him saying he said no himself. There's a lot more to this than Inglis simply asking for a release and the storm granting him one. Some of it appears to be totally out of his hands.

Active Now

• Dexter
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Horseheadsup
  • winslow_wong
  • Financeguy
  • Galah
  • Wolfie
  • broncos4life
  • Harry Sack
  • Allo
  • mrslong
  • westy316
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Tim K
  • Foordy
  • Battler
  • PETERN
  • Yellowfella
  • Aldo
  • Manofoneway
... and 22 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.