Grub Reynolds

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
The refs and ARL/NRL have always been making mistakes and inconsistent rulings. So what's different now? 3000fps slo-mo 3D video replays from 19 different angles, twitter, and the 24x7 news?

Pretty much......for as long as I can remember, referees have always fucked up and the judicial system has never really delivered what angry fans cried out for

mehhh......

gordjw

gordjw

NRL Player
Jun 29, 2013
Pretty much......for as long as I can remember, referees have always fucked up and the judicial system has never really delivered what angry fans cried out for

mehhh......

Yeah, I always thought that having more tech in sport could only be a good thing, but now I'm not so sure.

I don't know if we can go back now, but maybe it's worth a shot. Get rid of the video ref, and if there are mistakes/close calls, well, too bad.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Can't go back now. It would just cause even more drama.

There are systems they can put in place to reduce the amount of bad calls in a game, but all they want to do is speed the game up even more to make it more exciting.

Half the refs can't even keep up..

Kaz

Kaz

State of Origin Captain
Mar 5, 2008
:
Get rid of the video ref, and if there are mistakes/close calls, well, too bad.

Don't get rid of the video ref, just have a time limit of about 30 secs.

And a ref can only go to the video ref a few times a game. eg: 3 times.

Allo

Allo

International Rep
Forum Staff
Sep 28, 2012
:

Don't get rid of the video ref, just have a time limit of about 30 secs.

And a ref can only go to the video ref a few times a game. eg: 3 times.

Putting limits on it won't stop the errors/ bad calls. If anything it could create more and the drama that goes with it i.e. 'can't go to the video ref coz we've used it too many times/didn't get enough time to look at it' which results in a wrong decision costing either team a win + ramifications of said win.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
I've got a better idea ! Instead of whining about the refs and the technology we just live with it. I cannot see what the fuss is about the 30-120 seconds it takes to get a decision. What most don't seem to acknowledge is the fact that they get the overwhelming majority of the decisions correct. If you've been around a while you'd remember the absolutely terrible decisions made back in the day. The reason why the video ref was introduced was because everybody had a better view of what happened, everybody that is except the onfield ref who made blunder after blunder.

We changed to a two ref system and video refs because of the bad decisions. What happens when your team gets one crack at a grand final and loses it due to a monumental ref error, when does that balance out ? It fucking never ever balances out unless you just so happen to make another grand final and the ref makes a monumental error but this time in your favour and you win. Fucking rare set of circumstances that ! This forum and every other forum,tv show,media and man in the street would be screaming blue murder if we went back to no video replay,one ref and everybody just chill out about that last terrible decision that cost them. Everyone should just start appreciating how much we get right these days, god knows it's so so much more than the good old days.....

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
I've got a better idea ! Instead of whining about the refs and the technology we just live with it. I cannot see what the fuss is about the 30-120 seconds it takes to get a decision. What most don't seem to acknowledge is the fact that they get the overwhelming majority of the decisions correct. If you've been around a while you'd remember the absolutely terrible decisions made back in the day. The reason why the video ref was introduced was because everybody had a better view of what happened, everybody that is except the onfield ref who made blunder after blunder.

We changed to a two ref system and video refs because of the bad decisions. What happens when your team gets one crack at a grand final and loses it due to a monumental ref error, when does that balance out ? It fucking never ever balances out unless you just so happen to make another grand final and the ref makes a monumental error but this time in your favour and you win. Fucking rare set of circumstances that ! This forum and every other forum,tv show,media and man in the street would be screaming blue murder if we went back to no video replay,one ref and everybody just chill out about that last terrible decision that cost them. Everyone should just start appreciating how much we get right these days, god knows it's so so much more than the good old days.....

It's one thing to make an incorrect call because there wasn't a clear view. It's something else entirely to have every angle, every snippet of information, and still **** it up.

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008

No. They're ruining the game.

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Lol. Deep, thoughtful and insightful. Strong underpinning with logic, beautifully expressed and most typically, Nashylike.

Why do I have to repeat myself?

- Refs are making the wrong calls on field
- Video Refs are making the wrong calls after looking at it for 10 minutes
- Refs are pussies when it comes to the bin and off laws
- The Judiciary is corrupt (0 weeks for a spear tackle. 3 weeks for kicking someone in the face, and the worst trip in a decade)
- David Smith doesn't know anything about the sport
- The ARL Commission is basically the NSWRL Commission
- The NSWRL Boys club still exists and is still holindg the game back
- The game won't stand up to Nine and give us more FTA games

I've been over this. They are ruining the game.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
Why do I have to repeat myself?

- Refs are making the wrong calls on field
- Video Refs are making the wrong calls after looking at it for 10 minutes
- Refs are pussies when it comes to the bin and off laws
- The Judiciary is corrupt (0 weeks for a spear tackle. 3 weeks for kicking someone in the face, and the worst trip in a decade)
- David Smith doesn't know anything about the sport
- The ARL Commission is basically the NSWRL Commission
- The NSWRL Boys club still exists and is still holindg the game back
- The game won't stand up to Nine and give us more FTA games

I've been over this. They are ruining the game.

There is no NSWRL conspiracy. It's crazy talk. We have the Independent Commission, remember. It's Independent. The only possible way the NSWRL could possibly skew the agenda in their favour would be to hire a CEO with no League background and then hire a greasy chief advisor with strong links to a Sydney-based RL club, and play the CEO like a puppet. Now I just don't see that happening.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
It's one thing to make an incorrect call because there wasn't a clear view. It's something else entirely to have every angle, every snippet of information, and still **** it up.
That's my view also. While Huge's point has merit, I cannot accept the howlers we have seen coming from the video ref.

The evening out of penalties and lack of balls to deal with situations like the Grub Reynolds one by the field refs, is another pet peeve of mine... but don't get me started on the MRC and Judiciary!
:witchhunt:

Last edited:
Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
That's my view also. While Huge's point has merit, I cannot accept the howlers we have seen coming from the video ref.

The evening out of penalties and lack of balls to deal with situations like the Grub Reynolds one by the field refs, is another pet peeve of mine... but don't get me started on the MRC and Judiciary!
:witchhunt:

What about this so-called MRC and Judiciary??!

<sits back and waits>

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
What about this so-called MRC and Judiciary??!

<sits back and waits>
i-will-find-you-and-i-will-kill-you-gif.gif

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
Guess I'll have to drive into Lawrence again... :wink:

You'll be lucky to get in during the week. On weekends though I've heard a whole football team has got in.

Active Now

• thenry
  • Browny
  • johnny plath
  • Ondi
  • broncsgoat
  • Bish
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Aldo
  • Galah
  • Manofoneway
  • Mr Fourex
  • mitch222
  • KickHaas
  • FACTHUNT
  • sooticus
  • Strop
  • Bucking Beads
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.