Haas - Off Field Dramas

The Salmon from Parra has been fined $10 000 and one match for low range drink driving including a car crash.

This news is likely to cause some interest among a few of you.
Worse offence than (scratching my head) what did Haas do again. Lighter sentence than Haas.

Dobbo relayed statements from the police investigation on Channel 9.

It was alleged sometime during August 2018, a fight broke out during a touch football game and the Haas family intervened. A woman has alleged that Payne threw her to the ground at one point, but police have not charged him and no witness' have come forward. Payne's mother has been charged assault for her involvement in the incident.

So it was his own mother he refused to grass on... yeah sure suspend him for 4 weeks

So it was his own mother he refused to grass on... yeah sure suspend him for 4 weeks

Maybe his MUM, you know that 1 person who with all of her maternal instincts should be the one person looking out and protecting her SON, shouldn’t be an immature moron by placing her son in harms way to begin with.

I don’t want to hear all the bullshit about him growing up a houso and thats the houso way of life. Given everything her son has to lose it shouldn’t be that hard to ignore the talk and walk away!

And hey if they did ignore all the abuse and tried to walk away, then that makes them the victims, shouldn’t be an issue to issue the statement then.

So you wouldn't keep YOUR mouth shut to stop your mum from going to jail?

Maybe his MUM, you know that 1 person who with all of her maternal instincts should be the one person looking out and protecting her SON, shouldn’t be an immature moron by placing her son in harms way to begin with.

I don’t want to hear all the bullshit about him growing up a houso and thats the houso way of life. Given everything her son has to lose it shouldn’t be that hard to ignore the talk and walk away!

And hey if they did ignore all the abuse and tried to walk away, then that makes them the victims, shouldn’t be an issue to issue the statement then.
Even if my mum was a meth head who constantly got me in trouble I'd still go to the ends of the earth to defend her and risk my entire career for it too.

It's all done now, I still think a 4 week ban and 20k fine is at least double what is reasonable and it's purely and simply an over reaction because of the horror NRL off season. If the same incident happens a year earlier he gets a fine and a talking to. In comparison people actually risking lives drink driving, get no suspension but instead a character reference.

In the end, whatever, I just hope he learns a lesson from it all and his family learn a lesson from it too.

Last edited:
If HR is legally obligated to tell the nrl and police when they know about it they can

Even if my mum was a meth head who constantly got me in trouble I'd still go to the ends of the earth to defend her and risk my entire career for it too.

It's all done now, I still think a 4 week ban and 20k fine is at least double what is reasonable and it's purely and simply an over reaction because of the horror NRL off season. If the same incident happens a year earlier he gets a fine and a talking to. In comparison people actually risking lives drink driving, get no suspension but instead a character reference.

In the end, whatever, I just hope he learns a lesson from it all and his family learn a lesson from it too.

Missing my point, I was responding to the fact that the poster felt that the punishment was too harsh, I have no issues with the punishment. In fact I applaud the Broncos stance, every club should (however won’t) note on how a successful organisation is run.

I also disagree with your leniency on your mother, defending her would just be enabling her. She needs help and the best way to get that sometimes is to be honest.

Do the crime, you better be prepared to do the time

No more local club games for Payne.

If HR is legally obligated to tell the nrl and police when they know about it they can

Hearsay evidence is inadmissible in criminal court cases. Him yelling the HR department something and then the HR department telling the police is hearsay evidence so therefore it couldn’t be used in a criminal proceeding.

He could tell HR anything he wanted to as long as he didn’t sign a statutory declaration detailing whatever it is he was telling the HR department. If he did then that could be used in a criminal proceeding.

So you wouldn't keep YOUR mouth shut to stop your mum from going to jail?
If it was me I would request the Broncos to give me the club's lawyer to attend the meeting with the integrity unit to ensure I'm only answering the questions required to be answered.

Any question not pertinent to Payne's specific role in the incident would be pulled up by the lawyer who can advise him not to answer or to answer in a capacity that he's comfortable with. Questions related to members of his family aren't relevant to the NRL Payne recalling the incident is and he wouldn't or shouldn't have to mention names... only Payne's actions during the incident.

The integrity unit aren't the fucking police and they wouldn't go to the police with information they're not allowed to present to them. I'm guessing there is also a level of confidentiality between the integrity unit and the players and if not then the lawyer can pull up on any potentially incriminating questions not specifically related to Payne.

If the police want to interview Payne that's completely different.

Active Now

• phoenix
  • LockyersLeftBoot
  • theshed
  • sooticus
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • GCBRONCO
  • Ghost of Vlansys
  • Johnny92
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.