Haas - Off Field Dramas

After reading your post, my silly brain added the ‘Law & Order’ sound effect, “deh-deh”!

Lol I love that show. Although my post is based on facts not fiction lol

Even if my mum was a meth head who constantly got me in trouble I'd still go to the ends of the earth to defend her and risk my entire career for it too.

It's all done now, I still think a 4 week ban and 20k fine is at least double what is reasonable and it's purely and simply an over reaction because of the horror NRL off season. If the same incident happens a year earlier he gets a fine and a talking to. In comparison people actually risking lives drink driving, get no suspension but instead a character reference.

In the end, whatever, I just hope he learns a lesson from it all and his family learn a lesson from it too.
I find this incredibly short sighted. You'd protect someone who made your life miserable, and doesn't seem to learn from her mistakes, just because she happened to push you out of her womb?

That said, I don't know what type of mother she is to Payne, and I'm sure his culture involves very strong blood ties, so I can understand how he would stay silent.

I have zero respect for her though, as she didn't protect her own son. A mother deserves loyalty and respect for being what a parent is supposed to be, not just a DNA donor.

I find this incredibly short sighted. You'd protect someone who made your life miserable, and doesn't seem to learn from her mistakes, just because she happened to push you out of her womb?

That said, I don't know what type of mother she is to Payne, and I'm sure his culture involves very strong blood ties, so I can understand how he would stay silent.

I have zero respect for her though, as she didn't protect her own son. A mother deserves loyalty and respect for being what a parent is supposed to be, not just a DNA donor.
You're arguing against a position I never made. If she pushed me out of the womb and threw me to the wolves, then I'd rightly have no care for her.

If my mother suddenly fell into a spiral of bullshit I wouldn't abandon her because it was bad for me, I would stand by her all the way even to my own detriment. You can call it short sighted all you want, but that's who I am.

It's not entirely relevant, but my father after marriage got severe seizures which eventually caused him to be disabled and could no longer work, my mother had to work multiple jobs as well as take care of me and my 5 siblings and often would secretly cry herself to sleep because she wouldn't have money for basic stuff like school uniform and would take out loans just to get us to school and have the bare essentials. There's nothing she could do that would make me abandon her now, I owe everything I have to the platform she provided for me to her own detriment without ever complaining about it once.

Now I don't know what Haas' story is but he has his reasons to be loyal to his mother and I won't question them. The club can disagree, some members on BHQ can disagree, but I for one fully agree with what he did for all of the reasons I've stated in this thread. You can even argue his actions were misguided but his intentions, IMO, were absolutely in the right place and I refuse to hold that against him.

You're arguing against a position I never made. If she pushed me out of the womb and threw me to the wolves, then I'd rightly have no care for her.

If my mother suddenly fell into a spiral of bullshit I wouldn't abandon her because it was bad for me, I would stand by her all the way even to my own detriment. You can call it short sighted all you want, but that's who I am.

It's not entirely relevant, but my father after marriage got severe seizures which eventually caused him to be disabled and could no longer work, my mother had to work multiple jobs as well as take care of me and my 5 siblings and often would secretly cry herself to sleep because she wouldn't have money for basic stuff like school uniform and would take out loans just to get us to school and have the bare essentials. There's nothing she could do that would make me abandon her now, I owe everything I have to the platform she provided for me to her own detriment without ever complaining about it once.

Now I don't know what Haas' story is but he has his reasons to be loyal to his mother and I won't question them. The club can disagree, some members on BHQ can disagree, but I for one fully agree with what he did for all of the reasons I've stated in this thread. You can even argue his actions were misguided but his intentions, IMO, were absolutely in the right place and I refuse to hold that against him.
My mother did more for me than I could ever repay, and yet if she got into a destructive spiral she couldn't get out of, all I would be doing by staying silent would be enabling that behaviour, which wouldn't do either of us any good.

FTR, I'm not holding it against him. I am holding it against her.

My mother did more for me than I could ever repay, and yet if she got into a destructive spiral she couldn't get out of, all I would be doing by staying silent would be enabling that behaviour, which wouldn't do either of us any good.

FTR, I'm not holding it against him. I am holding it against her.
Yeah maybe, maybe not. Nothing is black and white, she's obviously got her son to a stage where he is a highly paid professional sportsman, she's obviously got a lot of good qualities. Hypothetically, I'm not going to say I'll support you no matter what but the fact is his mother did get into trouble (allegedly?), and he felt it was best to remain silent to protect her legally or morally, I won't begrudge him for that. I 100% applaud him for doing so, it's not easy and he took a big hit and I have no doubt if he loves his mother enough to do that for her, she obviously has enough respect for him to not put him through this again.

I'm not saying anyone who thinks the punishment is justified is wrong and Haas is right but I'd do exactly what Haas did based on the information we do know and would readily accept the consequences, which Haas has also done. I hope for his sake his mother learnt from the whole ordeal and he never has to make a tough choice like that again.

I have no doubt if he loves his mother enough to do that for her, she obviously has enough respect for him to not put him through this again.
Yes, I am sure he does, and I already said I understand his side, even if believe it is misplaced, judging by the rumours this is not the first or second time it happens.

As to the rest, let's just agree to disagree. A proper mother/father would never let their son pay for their mistake in the first place.

It sounds like Haas won't be returning anytime soon.

He has faced court on two driving related charges. Driving without a license, and driving while using a mobile phone.

Story is on CM but can't get it to work through outline so can't post it.

Broncos rookie Payne Haas in more off-field drama

PETER BADEL MARCH 29, 2019Broncos young gun Payne Haas has been rocked by a fresh NRL integrity unit investigation following revelations the troubled rookie has been charged with two driving offences.
The Courier-Mail can reveal the Broncos have notified the NRL integrity unit of fresh legal issues involving Haas, who attended Ipswich court today in the latest saga to hit the 20-year-old Brisbane prop.
Haas - rated the NRL's next front-row superstar - was last month suspended for four games and fined $20,000 by the Broncos for failing to comply with an NRL integrity unit probe into two off-field incidents.
Now Haas is in hot water over a third matter.
The Broncos ace fronted Ipswich District Court on Saturdayafter being charged with unlicensed driving and using a mobile phone while driving.

The alleged offence occurred on Friday, March 1 - just a fortnight after Haas was stood down by the Broncos following the twin off-field dramas that triggered an NRL integrity unit investigation.

One incident involved a wild brawl featuring Haas' family at a junior league semi-final last September. The second was in relation to an alleged family domestic violence dispute at which Haas was said to be a witness.
Haas was quizzed by Queensland police on Wednesday over the junior league scuffle. While his mother Joan has been charged over the brawl that led to her son's NRL suspension, police are satisfied Haas was not directly involved.

When interviewed by the NRL integrity unit last month, Haas provided limited information on the dual incidents, prompting the Broncos to impose heavy sanctions amid warnings he was not upholding the club's values.

Now Haas will face a fresh inquisition from the NRL's behavioural watchdog after Broncos bosses provided full disclosure of his latest indiscretion.

Haas has served three-quarters of his NRL ban and was set to be available for selection for Brisbane's round five clash against Wests Tigers on April 11.

But The Courier-Mail understands the Broncos will consider reviewing Haas' suspension - and possibly increasing it - in the wake of his Ipswich courtroom appearance.

Broncos chief executive Paul White declined to comment last night out of respect to the NRL's new probe into Haas.

Haas wore white Puma shoes to court, where he waited for nearly two hours. Haas' lawyer Shaune Irving sought an immediate adjournment to allow legal submissions be prepared on Haas' behalf.
No pleas were made, with his case adjourned until April 15.

Last edited:
Is this what happens when you give unproven kids million dollar contracts? I dont think we are going to be seeing him anytime soon.

Last edited:
Give him the year off. Make him go train and play with his QCUP side after his suspension. Obviously not mature enough to be considered for first grade, plus when we're fully healthy he's struggling to make the 17 anyway.

Give him the year off. Make him go train and play with his QCUP side after his suspension. Obviously not mature enough to be considered for first grade, plus when we're fully healthy he's struggling to make the 17 anyway.

Exactly. Make him realise what he is missing out on.

Is this what happens when you give unproven kids million dollar contracts? I dont think we are going to be seeing him anytime soon.
Not necessarily. If his mum or family are flogs things like driving unlicensed may not be out of the norm, even things like actually reading your mail and paying fees on time are skills that some people just aren't taught by their parents.

He hasn't exactly ingratiated himself with the club after signing such a huge deal AND having so much competition for front row spots in the side. A reality check in reserve grade might be what the doctor ordered.

I’d suspect @Wolfie had his hand to ensure Carrigan got a decent shot at playing ...

But seriously what is going on with that kid? You’d think some of the older players would be telling him to pull his head in. Or maybe needs the experience that other young players have in the past where they live with coaches/scouts and follow their house rules

He’s not even attending first grade games and watching in the stands. That should be minimum requirements so he sees everyone else playing and not him

Wow this is poor from Haas, at a time where we desperately need him playing and in form.
Dissapointing.

People using phones in cars fucking shits me so he can get fucked. How about you look at the cat video later instead of swerving all over the place.

Active Now

• Broncosgirl
  • Justwin
  • Tim K
  • simplythebest
  • Bucking Beads
  • something
  • Galah
  • Fitzy
  • Sproj
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • eggstar10
  • Bronx48
  • Dash
  • Stix
  • Nerd
  • Brocko
  • mystico
  • winslow_wong
  • Xzei
  • johnny plath
... and 15 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.