Haas - Off Field Dramas

Why do we keep comparing him/other NRL superstars to the everyday person? The everyday person wouldn’t make it in the local paper let alone national tv

Surely these athletes have to held to a greater/higher standard. They are not you’re everyday blue or white collar Joe Blow.

These are professional athletes paid a great deal to represent their team, club, organisation and sponsors.

When you commit a crime as a celebrity you’re expected to be in the limelight, it’s a given. The least you can do when confronting the situation aka showing up in court knowing the media will be present to scrutinise everything you do, is to show some respect and dress accordingly.

Surely when you’re embarrassing the Club, Sponsors and Brand etc that’s not to much to ask for.

What was wrong with the way he dressed?

I know that if I ever end up in court, I’m not turning up in less than business attire. White puma trainers aren’t that.

Well in the case of it being a minor matter, you would be wasting your time. Courtrooms are nothing more than production lines when it comes to minor matters. Get you in, give you your fine, get you out. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Well in the case of it being a minor matter, you would be wasting your time. Courtrooms are nothing more than production lines when it comes to minor matters. Get you in, give you your fine, get you out. Wash, rinse, repeat.

That’s not the point of why you would, and Haas, as a public figure, whether he likes it or not, should know that. Or at least be told. And for him, this is not a minor matter.

All will be forgiven when he returns and is making 200+ meters a game, Lodge can vouch for that, I got faith that this is just a speed bump for the young fella

All will be forgiven when he returns and is making 200+ meters a game, Lodge can vouch for that, I got faith that this is just a speed bump for the young fella
I hope you're right but given his attitude to his first suspension...... who fucking knows.

Nobody here would have been to court. Everyone is beyond reproach.
You seem to insist on this fairy tale that people who disagree with you, pretend they are without reproach.

There is a difference between thinking that a ****-up deserves consequences, which seems to be what the majority of people believe, and your train of thought, where anything below attempted murder should just be treated as "he's young and/or family", so we'll pretend it didn't happen and move on...

If I ****-up, I'll have to cop the consequences on the chin. If a family member ***** up, he/she'll have to cop the consequences too, so he/she hopefully learns from it and doesn't go on to do worse in the future because dad (or insert any family member) will cover for him/her.
What I do know, is that I definitely wouldn't let said family member pay for something I was responsible for, especially my own kid.

P.S. Whether the original punishment was appropriate could be a matter of debate, but we aren't equipped to determine how heavy handed it was, because we don't know the exact details of the incident or his behaviour towards the NRL Integrity Unit.

Last edited:
For the record, this is the recommended etiquette in Australian courtrooms -

"You do not need to wear a suit when going to court but your dress should be neat and smart. It is inappropriate to wear singlets, thongs, hat or sunglasses in the courtroom."

He did none of those things, thus it shouldn't even be a point of discussion. The discussion should be about why he thought it was a good idea to drive without a licence and be on the phone at the same time, 2 weeks after being suspended by the club for an off-field related incident.

It's not quite in the same category as drink driving, but I mean, it's not as minor as some people are making out, it's still extremely irresponsible & immature. I would have no issue if the club decided to stand him down indefinitely and put him through some community service and educational courses to try and avoid more issues like this in the future, he obviously hasn't got the message.

We will continue to disagree.

For such a minor matter, if in the most dramatic potential situation, while on the phone Payne hits another car or pedestrian and a fatality occurs - hes up for manslaughter and jail time. If he has an accident and injures another - personal injury insurance could be void and Payne has to cover costs. Sounds dramatic now right? How such a minor choice is so very very minor now? Same rules broken - very different result.

We will continue to disagree.

For such a minor matter, if in the most dramatic potential situation, while on the phone Payne hits another car or pedestrian and a fatality occurs - hes up for manslaughter and jail time. If he has an accident and injures another - personal injury insurance could be void and Payne has to cover costs. Sounds dramatic now right? How such a minor choice is so very very minor now? Same rules broken - very different result.

Except none of that happened. Your issue was with his choice of shoes.

Except none of that happened. Your issue was with his choice of shoes.

You are still missing the point.

It doesn't matter if any of that happened, he put himself and others in that position for it to potentially happen.

His dress sense matters because he earns an average of $66,500 per month to represent his club, his sponsors, be a role model and himself. There is zero reason why he cannot present to the absolute best possible. White pumas aren't even acceptable to a club presentation, why would less be acceptable in front of a court room, the public and media. If he was serious about showing maturity and remorse - we wouldn't even be discussing this now.

You are still missing the point.

It doesn't matter if any of that happened, he put himself and others in that position for it to potentially happen.

His dress sense matters because he earns an average of $66,500 per month to represent his club, his sponsors, be a role model and himself. There is zero reason why he cannot present to the absolute best possible. White pumas aren't even acceptable to a club presentation, why would less be acceptable in front of a court room, the public and media. If he was serious about showing maturity and remorse - we wouldn't even be discussing this now.

So when is he allowed to wear his white pumas? Should he just throw them out? I don't think many here realise just how low-key a magistrates court appearance is.

Absolutely they would be pissed. Considering the nature of the charges what should he have worn as opposed to what he did wear? Anyone got pics of what he wore? I only saw a news report and he appeared to dress very respectfully. I don't understand what all the fuss is.
I don’t really think the nature of the charges has anything, whatsoever, to do with what he should or shouldn’t wear.

If you want to be taken seriously, and show you consider being in court to be a serious event, you dress seriously. If you want to show disdain for the court, you rock up, like you said in an earlier post, in thongs and a singlet.

So with that in mind, I’d say he should probably dress like pretty much every professional sporting person, in this country at least, does when they have to attend court. You know, in a suit. At the very least, trousers, a long sleeved button-up shirt and a tie.

After all, it’s how he would dress if he were attending the judiciary.

He's fucked up, no doubt. I'll be happy if the club wacks another $5k on top of his fines and issues him a very stern warning. Then get him on the field FFS.

Take half his salary and give it to TPJ. He might be a giant bloke but he has proven nothing at the top level. If he doesn't like the sound of that he can **** off to a minnow team like the Titans or Bulldogs and do it the hard way for his whole career.

He's fucked up, no doubt. I'll be happy if the club wacks another $5k on top of his fines and issues him a very stern warning. Then get him on the field FFS.

Depends i guess in what the NRL say if its going to the integrity commision. With the off season the NRL have had they might not be too sympathetic.

Depends i guess in what the NRL say if its going to the integrity commision. With the off season the NRL have had they might not be too sympathetic.

If the NRL have any shred of consistency whatsoever Haas will receive 5x the punishment Inglis did.

Active Now

• winslow_wong
  • Galah
  • Hurrijo
  • scobie
  • BroncosAlways
  • Allo
  • Skyblues87
  • Fozz
  • broncos4life
  • Harry Sack
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.