Haas - Off Field Dramas

I should probably resist the urge to comment about this, but as someone who has experienced the court environment, yes Tom, you are correct that it is a bit of a production line, get them in and get them out.

But you are absolutely wrong to think that the manner in which Haas presents himself in court will have no impact upon how he is dealt with by the Court or the severity of the penalty.

For a start, by showing up properly dressed he immediately separates himself from the rest of the 'locals', plus it does send a subtle message to the Court that he is taking things seriously. He should be doing this even if it is just a mention. His solicitor should have told him this.

I agree with @mrslong in that it seems the club identified some potential issues and went hard on him so he realised that he can’t carry on like a no-name bogan when contracted to the Broncos.

It wouldn’t surprise me if the reason he was driving unlicensed is because of ego and peer pressure. Arriving everywhere in an Uber or cab would have had his deadshit mates calling him moneybags at being able to afford it, while the rest of them who were also suspended just continued to drive. “I have a job, I need to drive”. Too bad, respect the fact that license is a privelage, you share the roads with others. Don’t be a fuckwit and you won’t lose it to begin with. This is coming from someone who lost his licence on his P’s, was given the chance of 3 months suspension or 12 months with 1 point, and decided to be far more careful and not be a dick for a year.

The constant “family & bros over rules” is exactly how you end up with multiple generations disrespecting laws that are there to protect. The selfish belief that them and their peers are more important than the safety of others out there. And when they do get caught, “**** the police for picking on us, fucking dogs”.

The Broncos are likely making Haas sweat on it, will haul him in for a “please explain”, and ask him what he thinks is a suitable punishment.

Last edited:
I should probably resist the urge to comment about this, but as someone who has experienced the court environment, yes Tom, you are correct that it is a bit of a production line, get them in and get them out.

But you are absolutely wrong to think that the manner in which Haas presents himself in court will have no impact upon how he is dealt with by the Court or the severity of the penalty.

For a start, by showing up properly dressed he immediately separates himself from the rest of the 'locals', plus it does send a subtle message to the Court that he is taking things seriously. He should be doing this even if it is just a mention. His solicitor should have told him this.

Yes, I'll concede I was wrong about it not making a difference, it definitely does. However I don't think there is an issue with what he wore. On a scale of 1 to 10 of things Haas can be criticised for this ranks somewhere around zero. As @Unbreakable said, it shouldn't even be part of the discussion.

Why didn't he have a licence? Was he already suspended for something else or just never got around to getting one?

If he was suspended already, it seems there may be a pattern forming / already there which would explain even more why the Broncs came down so hard on him.

What makes me worry is how the NRL seems to constantly put the impetus on clubs to decide punishments and consequences of actions. We too often see the club throw the book at no-name fringe players to show they are drawing a line in the sand, only to let bigger names have their errors swept under the carpet, provided the media doesn't know.
Would a player be seeing the same punishment if he was only caught by an club official, driving home drunk as he would the police? It would seem not as I have never of any "mystery punishments" for undisclosed infringements that lasted more than a game.
These are the real problem with penalties given. If players see a difference in consequences from being "found out", to being told by an assistent coach to "pull your head in, your in q-cup for a week", it tells them the most important thing isn't the action, but being caught. Clubs, as well as players, need to have consequences for this kind of thing.
There will be errors of this sort, but they should nailed on the head. Srong punishments are not the only solution either. Counselling and understanding of what made players do these things and why. Its not always as clear cut as some people might think.
How often do these type of things happen to players already on suspension? Too often and it suggests, along with the punishments, a system that keeps players active and engaged in either self-improvement or community work should be implemented. It needs to be more than a simple "meet & greet" player engagement too. Real work, doing the kind of things, the general community does, would help level their heads and at the same time give a glimpse to the consequences for further actions.
Some of these things may be in place to a degree but they clearly need more investment in, to stop this type of thing from happening. Haas is a young man who will have a great NRL career, either here or elsewhere, but this is a pivotal moment of his life when he can learn from this the way Hodges, Roberts and others have, or go the way of the likes of Barba or Fiffita, blaming others for his own failings. Hopefully, the club and the NRL know what they are doing.

The kid is 19 and he's immature and doesn't know or understand how good he has it (being paid VERY well to play a sport he loves). He doesn't understand how real life works and doesn't understand how most of the world wake up everyday going to a job they hate.

He shouldn't be making these stupid errors of judgement but at 19, we think we know it all and are above the law and everything else. Does that excuse his behaviour? Not at all. What should his punishment be for this latest indiscretion? Well, it depends how you look at it. Was it a serious offense? Not really but it could of turned serious had he hurt or killed someone whilst looking at his phone while driving etc.

What to do? I really don't know but what I do know is, if he worked any other job and done this, his job wouldn't sack him or suspend him, he'd still have to turn up everyday and do his job. His job probably wouldn't know about it tbh. Look, it was a really stupid thing to do. I say, fine him again but don't suspend him from more games and get him to speak to a sports psychologist or someone that can guide him and perhaps make him see the error of his ways and hope he'll learn from all this.

The kid is 19 and he's immature and doesn't know or understand how good he has it (being paid VERY well to play a sport he loves). He doesn't understand how real life works and doesn't understand how most of the world wake up everyday going to a job they hate.

He shouldn't be making these stupid errors of judgement but at 19, we think we know it all and are above the law and everything else. Does that excuse his behaviour? Not at all. What should his punishment be for this latest indiscretion? Well, it depends how you look at it. Was it a serious offense? Not really but it could of turned serious had he hurt or killed someone whilst looking at his phone while driving etc.

What to do? I really don't know but what I do know is, if he worked any other job and done this, his job wouldn't sack him or suspend him, he'd still have to turn up everyday and do his job. His job probably wouldn't know about it tbh. Look, it was a really stupid thing to do. I say, fine him again but don't suspend him from more games and get him to speak to a sports psychologist or someone that can guide him and perhaps make him see the error of his ways and hope he'll learn from all this.

You’d think the precedent was set with Inglis’s 2 game driving offence ban. But given this stupid indiscretion occurred only two weeks after he was first suspended I might sure

Interesting reading some of the comments on other sites claiming - we tried to cover this up, tried like always to sweep it under the rug, that’s what happens when these one trick ponies who can’t develop their own (thought that was a bit strange) and typical maroons (yet he’s from NSW)

Last edited:

I went in support of a friend, first thing I told him was to get completely suited up. It's not about whether it matters, it's about the perception. Just showing up completely formal would mean the judge is immediately going to take you as being more remorseful, I told him to at no stage argue and simply acknowledge and accept he made an error of judgement.

Prosecutor argued for an impound and extended suspension, judge let him off with a warning.

I can't say if any of it mattered but at least looking the part is important. It's kind of like rocking up for an interview, sure you come in with a singlet but looking serious will help the cause.

I went in support of a friend, first thing I told him was to get completely suited up. It's not about whether it matters, it's about the perception. Just showing up completely formal would mean the judge is immediately going to take you as being more remorseful, I told him to at no stage argue and simply acknowledge and accept he made an error of judgement.

Prosecutor argued for an impound and extended suspension, judge let him off with a warning.

I can't say if any of it mattered but at least looking the part is important. It's kind of like rocking up for an interview, sure you come in with a singlet but looking serious will help the cause.

This. You need to look the part. Whatever the rules say, it's a formal event, and you should make yourself presentable, not for those who see you either, but for yourself.

I don't think anyone would get all defensive if it was someone bagging out a lawyer who showed up in shorts and white basketball shoes.

Just as important showing the Broncos and NRL he cares and is taking it seriously as it is showing the court.

In the grand scheme of things it IS a minor matter. That doesn't mean it shouldn't be viewed as serious. Being paid megabucks doesn't bestow wisdom and maturity on a person. He's just making impulsive child like decisions due to immaturity and he needs another smack on the arse. I hope they fine him but not stand him down. It can be argued that virtually any action can lead to serious consequences but those hypothetical outcomes didn't happen in his case. No harm no foul must be applicable in this case. I agree both actions are poor, reflect badly on the club and Haas and he needs to learn from the punishment that they are not acceptable but if he is stood down I believe it would hurt the team.

Yes, Well said! I have no more to add

How you dress shows how seriously you take the matter, and yeah it's only the Magistrates so it's not a huge deal, but I'm going to small claims court soon and I'll be wearing my 3 piece suit and freshly polished shoes FFS

And yeah I'm 50yo, and age is probably a factor

I worry about the young ones (now I really sound like an old timer!)

this habit of people making so much sense with their posts is very encouraging.. to me anyways..... this dudes 19 yo in body of prime 28 yo...do wrong...take punishment that comes with it ...but only if its fair and consistent with others. Some here making out its good to throw the baby out with the bath water.....some people can change..some people do have family that aren't perfect and despite their failings are...or can be.... decent human beings given time for reflection and change. In my work I supervise a team that monitors a lot of violent and/or sexual offenders due to extended supervision orders... some have capacity to change...most don't. Haas..and other nrl players that have made mistakes...can change...can end up good...can be role models..can be contributing members of society......not sure why there are some here so quick to throw some under the bus.

about the dress thing...I'm at court most weeks 3/5 days... there is a very clear perspective that the worse u dress the more leniency is handed down...being respectful and dressing appropriately has no bearing in most hearings these days...20 years ago...for sure...now not so much

Active Now

• Waynesaurus
  • Allo
  • IceWorks
  • Cavalo
  • Skyblues87
  • Browny
  • broncos4life
  • Lurker
  • Fozz
  • Kev_Guz
  • Foordy
  • davidp
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Financeguy
  • Ghost of Vlansys
  • Harry Sack
  • Howie
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
... and 9 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.