Halves situation

I’m using Thurston as role model here
I remember watching games when Thurston screamed at his forwards and backs alway almost arrogantly bossing the team around the park . If his team lost he was pissed and he let everyone know it .
We have none of that ...! Specially from Milford...
Croft does talk but I think no one listens

If Dearden is honestly our long-term future I don't understand why he isn't in this side. Put him in with either Milford or Croft and give him the keys. He and Milford went ok last year, so try that again OR I would be more then happy to trial Dearden and Croft. I think those two could work well and if they do, we could look at shopping Milford around for 2021. I have no doubt that Melbourne, Bulldogs, Dragons or Tigers would be interested in Milf. We would obviously have to chip in as no-one is going to be paying 1mill for him. Im ok if we chip in half to free up $ for someone like Grant or making sure that we keep Fifi or even tiring up Dearden.
The club have a few tough decisions to make.

It seems like ANY decision is a tough one for this bunch. Getting flogged 59 nil I would have thought would have made the decision to drop players a bit easier, but our current mob, still seem to struggle with it...

I have a question for people.

What does Croft do well that makes people think he is worth playing in the halves next to Dearden?

To me, he doesn't show any signs that he is or ever will be a first grade standard half.

For me, even if we move on from Milford, Croft isn't the answer when it comes to who should play beside Dearden.

I have a question for people.

What does Croft do well that makes people think he is worth playing in the halves next to Dearden?

To me, he doesn't show any signs that he is or ever will be a first grade standard half.

For me, even if we move on from Milford, Croft isn't the answer when it comes to who should play beside Dearden.

No one says he’s great, no one even thinks he’s been good, he hasn’t but he is on a bucketload less than his halves partner who is somehow going even worse.

Its the forwards that are killing us, big slow hitups, average meters, slow play the balls, we are not generating anywhere near enough momentum so the halves cant get a look in. When we have tried to spread it wide we haven't created anywhere near enough space for our backs so the rushing defense is always on top of them.

Everything is now feeding from getting that the roll on, territory, 6 agains, penalties it all feeds from that quick play. Using big blokes for one out hitups 4 out of the 6 tackles particularly considering their numbers are so bad is suicide, the TItans were gang tackling us with 3 in the tackle all night.

Seibs needs to have a good hard rethink and try some different ways to start generating that momentum.

Last edited:
If we’d have won the GF, he would have been the messiah given his performance that year. Maybe he’s just had rubbish coaching too?

He needs to step up but but saying he’s failed is a bit far. Too expensive? Yes. Terrible signing? No. Your alternative would have been Hunt and Taylor - hows that working out...
Right now Hunt would objectively be more useful for us.

We already have Croft and Dearden and what we desperately lack is a top shelf Dummy Half.

For whatever can rightly be said about Hunt and his limitations as a Halfback, he's actually quite a good Dummy Half and that's just in a part time capacity. If he was to take the role on full time I think he could definitely be one of the top couple of Dummy Half's in the game today.

Last edited:
Offer Marshal a low money contract get him teaching our halves the proper way.

Right now Hunt would objectively be more useful for us.

Hunt used to be a good defender but I'm not 100% sure he's still got it. He's getting bounced a lot more at St George but he is going a bit better with that after playing in the middle again. The most important attribute Hunt provided back in 2015 was 11,332 kick metres (compared to 2nd in that stat: JT with 7,403m). In 2015 he was also a handy defender and runner. I'd still take him back.

Last edited:
The forwards haven't been great but a good half will play a forward one off and carry them pass the advantage line when they see it not happening. The forwards focus should be solely catching it at the advantage line and not ending up on there back - that is it right now.

Crofts long kicking game is shockingly bad. Milford should be kicking.

Its the forwards that are killing us, big slow hitups, average meters, slow play the balls, we are not generating anywhere near enough momentum so the halves cant get a look in. When we have tried to spread it wide we haven't created anywhere near enough space for our backs so the rushing defense is always on top of them.

Everything is now feeding from getting that the roll on, territory, 6 agains, penalties it all feeds from that quick play. Using big blokes for one out hitups 4 out of the 6 tackles particularly considering their numbers are so bad is suicide, the TItans were gang tackling us with 3 in the tackle all night.

Seibs needs to have a good hard rethink and try some different ways to start generating that momentum.

This. The weekend showed that Milf can run as much as he wants, try on his fancy footwork and dance around, it doesn't mean shit if the opposition isn't fatigued or retreating. Croft you could argue should be directing the team better in order to create fatigue in the opposition. Target their weak points and hammer them until the cracks appear.

Just a rant form a fan
Make the team play touch footy for like 4 hours straight every week .
1 improve ruck and line speed !!!!!!!
2 passing the ball /running / set plays
Looking for holes and overlaps and running decoys.
3 improve fitness
4 improve combinations

It won’t help any thing in defence but at least help with some sought of attack .
I agree with the team need to be running on to the ball more after a quick play the ball standing a bit deeper will help this
Croft and Milford need to get the ball at first receiver more deeper run a few metres then make a decision pass / run with the edge forwards running decoys or lines this will create space out wide.
Milford needs to get his hand on the ball on every set even running on the same side as Croft .
Thurston had the ball at least once or twice every set.
No passion no pride no urgency.
They need to get angry like take a game personally FFS.
No talk or leaders telling the team how it is , like getting up the forwards or backs not marking up or just getting fired up after a shitty ref call.
you just wonder what is Seibold doing all week it can’t all be stats and numbers and video replays.

Defence they need to rush the defence in a line put more pressure on the attacking team.
Forward pack need hunt as a team
Run forwards ethier side of the ruck.
Instead of the one out shit .... run as a pack
They get slammed poor Hass at the moment is getting gang tackled atm.
Ok rant over ...........
I don’t have all the answers and I’m no coach but from a fan point of view this is what I feeling frustrated and angry
The talent is there .....

No one says he’s great, no one even thinks he’s been good, he hasn’t but he is on a bucketload less than his halves partner who is somehow going even worse.
I wouldn't say milf is worse , I mean he's got boyd and Oates outside of him so the confidence damage in that alone is not to looked past. Croft isn't a natural 7 which a lot of people here thought he was, I agree he should not be as criticized as milf. But to persist with him over milf is just stupid, put him on the bench and replace him with dearden. That way we can use him as a 9 and back up to dearden.

I've gone cold on Brodie Croft. Specifically, he's defence is shite. Next to MILF who is a poor defender himself, I can see lots of points being leaked between those 2 amigos. Opposition Scout Report: Target your runs towards the Broncos' halves

I called out the recruitment of Croft a really bad idea last year when everyone was jumping on Croft's bandwaggon. Milf and Croft is a terrible combo, they're conceding points like a leaking tap.

This season is a write-off. Replace Croft with Dearden, fast track Dearden's development. Shop Croft around to other clubs.

Last edited:
Found a hilarious news article. Based around the attitude between a successful club culture and ours, Jai Field was chipped for not being up to Eels standards, instead of sooking (to quote Brad Arthur) but he didn't, he manned up and put in the work. Lets see how he goes this weekend, and if he's good, lets steal his attitude and put it on our halves.

hard to believe Milf is 26 years old this year.......

Reminds me of that story about George Best lying in a bedfull of cash and a Miss Universe candidate....roomservice comes in and asks "Where did it all go wrong George..?"

Surely this isnt as good as it gets for Milf in his career? A parting of the ways might simply be inevitable at this stage...

Lets see...

If things were different last year and lets say that SoS and Dearden didnt get injured i think the debate about our halves this season would have been quite different.

However, here we are...

Can i ask, if anyones bothered, go back and watch before Croft went off injured against Souths in round 2. Watch closely the combos he and Turps were running with each other.

Much to my frustration, not seen it since....so dunno if its something we can look to build upon or it was just a one off.....wish i knew the answer...but green shoots of hope.

Dearden simply wasnt deemed ready to lead a NRL team around the field this year; thats why Croft came in. Was that atcually the right call? Dunno yet....before they are both off contract though im sure we will work that one out....

I wouldn't say milf is worse , I mean he's got boyd and Oates outside of him so the confidence damage in that alone is not to looked past. Croft isn't a natural 7 which a lot of people here thought he was, I agree he should not be as criticized as milf. But to persist with him over milf is just stupid, put him on the bench and replace him with dearden. That way we can use him as a 9 and back up to dearden.

That's funny because I blame the blokes playing inside Oates (who receive the ball first and are paid a lot more) for his lack of confidence. At least we agree on one player.

Last edited:
Milf is seemingly Bernard Tomic - Always that up and comer who one day becomes the veteran journeyman who only ever almost delivered that one time and lived off that ever since and was always held back by someone else from not reaching his potential.

Last edited:

Unread

Active Now

• Locky's Left Boot
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Hurrijo
  • Battler
  • Mustafur
  • Allo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.