His Marbles GOOOORNE??????

Frank the Tank said:
hes not useless, hes very useful for taking the blame for a poorly coached club that has poor player selection, which has made the finals for 17 straight years and will do so again this year

That's better icon_thumbs_u [icon_wink

Sure - when you remind me where in your post you were making a distinction between last year and years past

Frank the Tank said:
they only make the finals because more than half of the teams in the comp make the finals.

Your post is in current tense, implying that more than half the teams make the finals now.

You did not say "made" at any stage.

Therefore, as Meat says, 8/16 = 0.5, which is half the teams, therefore, based entirely on the sentence quoted, you are wrong.

still even though half of the teams make the finals. the Broncos are STILL the only team to make the finals consistantly for the last 17 years. and even though (as you stateFrank) half the teams make the finals NOW. the are ZERO other teams to make them as often as the Broncos without missing a single finals series since 1991

Frank the Tank said:
which also means that the other teams probably have a better make finals:make grand final ratio than us. 7:1 for us since unlimited interchange was scrapped whereas the roosters have something like 5:3.

You're clutching at straws. The Roosters missed the finals 2 years in a row and you can't sit here and tell me that you wouldn't be calling for the coach to be sacked if the Broncos did the same.

Frank the Tank said:
i dont base my opinion of the coach on if the team makes the finals or not. ive been calling for the coach to be sacked for years because hes not a good coach anymore, regardless of us making the finals, making the grand final, or winning the grand final. it appears now that the majority of people on here are also wising up and agreeing with what QUEENSLANDER and i have been saying for years.

[icon_lol1. [icon_lol1.

I thought your old stuff was pretty amusing but this is just gold! icon_thumbs_u

Frank the Tank said:
i dont base my opinion of the coach on if the team makes the finals or not. ive been calling for the coach to be sacked for years because hes not a good coach anymore, regardless of us making the finals, making the grand final, or winning the grand final. it appears now that the majority of people on here are also wising up and agreeing with what QUEENSLANDER and i have been saying for years.

[icon_lol1. What a load!!!! You're telling me that any coach could've won the 2006 Premiership with the team we had??? [icon_lol1.

I just don't buy this "the only reasons we won in 2006 were Lockyer and Hodges". Yes they were magnificent but who was it that made the big call to move Hodges to fullback when we were 14 points down at halftime v Bulldogs?? Who masterminded the game plan to stop the Storm from winning the Grand Final?? The answer: The Great Wayne Bennett icon_thumbs_u

The other teams in the finals in 2006 weren't playing crap at all. St George beat us in the qualifying final FFS!!! We came back and beat Newcastle, no wait, make that SMASHED Newcastle who beat Manly the week before in a tough game. Then we beat the Bulldogs in one of the greatest comebacks ever in finals football, who 2 weeks earlier turned in a great display to beat Canberra, putting on 30 points in the rain and coming from behind early in the match.

Sorry i just don't believe you are a Broncos fan. Fair enough, bias fans can be annoying but also annoying are those that don't give credit to THEIR team when it's due or always say another team was unlucky should a 50/50 call go our way.

Frank the Tank said:
we didnt win the 2006 grand final through good coaching. we got lucky on the back of Lockyer and Hodges and the other teams playing like Souths in the final series.

likewise we didnt win the 2000 grand final through good coaching. it wouldnt have mattered if we had wayne bennet as our coach or we had dane carlaw as a player/coach - we were always going to win.

We actually DID win the premiership through good coaching - IMO. Maybe not good coaching more so good player management which is what it really is all about these days.

I could not be bothered explaining it all but if we cut back to 2006 where we were in our mid year losing streak WB let the boys have the week off and most of them went overseas and just away from footy. They came back rejuvenated, energised ready to play. He took the work load off at training during the latter rounds of the competition with a focus on peaking for the finals. They did that and we won the comp. Quality. Coaching.

I'll even throw in a few quotes:

The Australian and Queensland skipper said the reversal of fortune at Red Hill could be put down to the Broncos staying strong through a difficult time on and off the paddock.

'We haven't won a game for a while and the pressure was certainly building but everyone at the club really held their nerve and the last two weeks have been a big improvement on the previous three,' Lockyer said.

'Right across the board I think everyone realised a change in attitude was required and I think that everyone at the club took it on board.

'You can tell throughout the club that the attitude has changed a fair bit in recent weeks and we are seeing the results on the field with us playing much better football.

Two-try hero Shaun Berrigan backed his skipper, saying the Broncos had been rejuvenated by a different approach at training.

'To be honest, before the Melbourne game we really only played games at training and didn't do much team work stuff and we did the same this week,' Berrigan said.

'Wayne (Bennett) knows we can all play football and the reason we were losing was because of what was going on in our heads so we just want to make sure we are nice and relaxed and it paid off tonight.

'We are just getting out there and playing football and keeping it nice and simple and the boys are growing in confidence.'

Source: http://www.broncos.com.au/index.php?page_id=2938

That is what coaching is all about. That is why WB is the man.

Frank the Tank said:
coaching isnt about being a father figure, or being everyones best friend, its about being a coach - tactics, player movements, player positions, etc etc. getting your team well drilled with a good gameplan is what a coaches job is about.

And getting them right mentally to turn up and play icon_thumbs_u

Oh ok. I think I get it now.

and one last thing..

what is the measure of a coach's effectiveness and success (ie. his use of tactics, player movments, positions, etc)?

Frank the Tank said:
we didnt win the 2006 grand final through good coaching. we got lucky on the back of Lockyer and Hodges and the other teams playing like Souths in the final series.

Did Souths make the finals in 2006, or is this reference about as qualified as the rest of your post?

Frank the Tank said:
coaching isnt about being a father figure, or being everyones best friend, its about being a coach - tactics, player movements, player positions, etc etc. getting your team well drilled with a good gameplan is what a coaches job is about.

I would have thought that a coachs job is to win football games, regardless of how this is down (as long as it's legal). If this is the case, how can you call Bennett a bad coach.

I tend to agree with you that perhaps his game plans are getting a little old, but as long as we are winning, who cares. Sure you might say that the club is only as successful as it is because we've always had a great playing roster and that any coach coudl have won the premierships we've won with that roster, but would we have even had that roster has Bennett not been the coach. There are a lot of players who have wanted to play for Brisbane, or stayed at Brisbane when they could have gotten more money elsewhere, purely because Bennett is the coach.

I'm sure these guys are more qualified regarding Bennett and his coaching skills than you are Frank, and they've obviosuly voted with their feet over the years.

I think some people need to realize that coaches get old and past it like in everything.

I had hoped that WB would stay with the Broncos and slowly fade into the back ground while helping a new coach to take over and perhaps remain with the club for a bit before retireing. He has changed clubs though, failed to attract the players needed and I suspect that the dragons may enjoy a short boost of motivation with a new coach and one with such a grand record, but without his superstars, WB will most likely fail to deliver anything more than Brown has done so far.

He has a marvellous record and a great history of gathering together fine talent, but as I said when there were all these worries about the guts of the team packing up and moving to the saints with WB, he is a far less attractive option as a coach when he's at a club like the dragons. When at the Broncos he is a part(a vital part) of a huge package(one city club, huge supporter base, great recent history, great players, great chance of premiership) BUT once he leaves all that... he's just a coach with a great record and we all know what happens to them. Look at Lowe, Fulton, Gould and Warren Ryan, perhaps even Tim sheens before long... the clubs stagnate, the clubs drop off in premiership winning credibility and the players fail to swarm to that club and in time the coaches move on and then out.

It happens to them all, you can't be the best coach forever and I just think that there's every chance that we are witnessing that transition with WB, from great coach, to coach that just can't get it done any more in the current enviroment. It's sad, but it happens.

Frank the Tank said:
bigstim179 said:
Did Souths make the finals in 2006, or is this reference about as qualified as the rest of your post?
where did i say they made the finals in 2006? all i said was they played like souths, and anyone thats ever watched football in the last 20 years would know that that means they played like $hit.

Brown couldn't get St George a premiership with his roster.

Frank the Tank said:
and anyway, to be fair, i think there was only something like 3 games over 3 seasons where they had their entire first choice team available - and they carved up in those matches.

Lol! Stu defending Souths now. I'm sure you'd be saying the same thing if you were a Souths supporter. How bout those Cowboys this year Stu? That cowboy hat must be getting pretty dusty these days...

Unread

Active Now

• Broncorob
  • Porthoz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.